Weight loss with the elliptical?

Hello - I'm looking for an honest answer about using the elliptical, treadmill and stationary bike for weight loss. I know my diet is important and I am dieting with smaller frequent meals, nearly no bread, rice, etc, more vegetables and about 1300 calories a day. I have lost weight and need to increase excercise to improve health and boost weight loss. I was going to the gym and doing between 30-45 mins of cardio on these machines (mostly elliptical) with distances between 2-4.5 miles about 3-4 times a week for about 3 weeks. I was seeing my clothes fit different and losing a bit more weight. I was told to add more variety so I met with a trainer. He had me do boxing as cardio and I was sore and miserable for 3-4 days...didn't go to the gym at all because I was uncomfortable. I want to go back to what I was doing but I don't want to waste months on the machines alone it it won't really help me. Im very overweight and 38 years old. I get self continuous at the gym but I'll go and use machines comfortably. I don't care to be in the weight area with the bodybuilders or aerobic room with the ultra fit crossfitters (but good for them - I'm not hating!) I need to lose about 60 lbs. Are these "low impact" machines really effective for me and if so, how often or what is the best way to use them?

Replies

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    I lost most of my weight doing 1200cals and 60 minutes a day, five days a week on the elliptical. So yea, they work. You're likely burning less calories than you think, and less than it's telling you, so I wouldn't eat all of them back.
  • jessicasmum2008
    jessicasmum2008 Posts: 68 Member
    If the elliptical is what u enjoy then stick with it. The best exercise to do is the one u enjoy doing because that way u will stick to and see results. If u choose an exercise u dont enjoy, u wont do it as much. I love using my exercise bike and treadmill and because i enjoy using them i go on them as often as i can
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    I'm doing elliptical and treadmill few times a week as my only excersise (I'm quite sedentary) and I'm losing weight just fine. I'm planning to include strength training once I lose 4 more pounds. Cardio on machines is not a waste of time, don't worry!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    tapwaters wrote: »
    I lost most of my weight doing 1200cals and 60 minutes a day, five days a week on the elliptical. So yea, they work. You're likely burning less calories than you think, and less than it's telling you, so I wouldn't eat all of them back.

If the elliptical is what you like, then stick with that. I've made it a personal rule that if I don't enjoy the exercise I am doing, then I don't do it. I've found I really love dancing, cycling, walking, etc.. Having said that, it doesn't hurt to try different things. You never know until you jump in, right? That's how I found out I really liked Zumba to begin with. Does your gym offer group exercise classes? There are usually folks of all fitness levels in classes, and they generally are quite happy to see new faces.
    I will agree with the bolded in the above post, though. All of the ellipticals I've used have been notoriously high on their calorie burns estimated. Usually it's only about half of what the machine tells me I've burned. Elliptical is pretty low impact steady state, which means a HRM could be useful for you as a means to know how many you're actually burning. :)
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    If you love working out on the elliptical, then stick with it. If you decide to use a different machine later on, that's fine too. Cardio workouts are good for your heart but doesn't do much for your muscles. The elliptical will help tone your legs and thighs, but you'll need to include some strength training to build muscle. Any type of exercise is better than none and in no time, you'll lose the weight.
  • Jessie24330
    Jessie24330 Posts: 224 Member
    I lost the first 40 lbs while the only cardio I was getting was the elliptical. The next ten, I lost with diet alone. Anything that gets you moving is good. I would recommend adding weights though otherwise you might regret not doing it when you reach your goal.
  • stephaniej2888
    stephaniej2888 Posts: 93 Member
    I use the elliptical 6 days a week after I put my kids to bed and I get on it for 35 min doing the "hills" setting at the moment (I'm working my way up on time on the elliptical). I also go to the gym 2 days a week and at the gym I do 20 min on the elliptical + 30 minutes on machines or with weights. I also try and fit in some stomach workouts on the weekends when I'm hanging out with the kids..but those don't always happen lol.

So far I've lost 21 lbs (still have 40'ish left to loose)

You can definitely loose weight and burn a good amount of calories on the elliptical but if you hit a plateau in your weight loss try switching up your workout routine a little.
  • kschramm7
    kschramm7 Posts: 72 Member
    I lost 80 lbs and got to a healthy weight in 10 months with diet and cardio on an elliptical and stationary bike. I've started resistance training since getting to goal, but still use the elliptical or stationary bike 4-5 days a week.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    The elliptical has worked well for me. I use my phone and ear buds to watch entertainment on youtube, Amazon Video, etc while working out. I wouldn't like boxing either. It's not for everyone. If you want to avoid the whole macho gym culture type thing, you could try Planet Fitness because their whole schtick is to avoid that and have a comfortable, laid back atmosphere for their members. It costs 10 bux a month for a basic membership (in other words you aren't spending extra money for tanning or using massage chairs, you are just there to work out.) They have LOTS of bikes, stair machines, ellipticals and treadmills so you won't be stuck waiting for someone else to get off a machine. (No, I don't work there. lol. I *go* there and am satisfied.) Or if you have the money you could get your own elliptical, maybe a stationary bike too, and set it up in front of the TV for entertainment while you work out. I have some friends who successfully took this approach. I personally cannot afford that but since PF is only 10 minutes drive from my house that's fine.
  • cminaz
    cminaz Posts: 5 Member
    . Elliptical is pretty low impact steady state, which means a HRM could be useful for you as a means to know how many you're actually burning. :)

Thanks! How can I determine the best HR for myself? I've tried using online guides and what the machine tells me based on age and weight but it that seems low and I am ok going higher than that.
  • cminaz
    Thank you all for the advice, I'm happy to see so many of you have had success with your weight loss!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Honestly you can lose weight without exercising at all. Excercise is to improve your cardiovascular fitness and strength to become healthier. Weight loss is just to lose weight which, if you are obese, can have health benefits in and of itself. That said if you want to get fit it is going to be uncomfortable, fitness is hard earned.

If right now you are obese and just want to focus on weight loss then low impact exercise plus caloric restriction will certainly get you there. It will be easier on you later though if you also add some resistance training so you don't lose too much of your lean mass during the weight loss.
  • cminaz
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Honestly you can lose weight without exercising at all. Excercise is to improve your cardiovascular fitness and strength to become healthier. Weight loss is just to lose weight which, if you are obese, can have health benefits in and of itself. That said if you want to get fit it is going to be uncomfortable, fitness is hard earned.

If right now you are obese and just want to focus on weight loss then low impact exercise plus caloric restriction will certainly get you there. It will be easier on you later though if you also add some resistance training so you don't lose too much of your lean mass during the weight loss.

Thank you. This is great information and I do agree with you. Right now I'm trying to lose the weight more than anything. I have 2 sons that played multiple HS and now collegiate sports. They both coach youth sports and are active and fit. I've always driven them to be active and eat well so it's probably time that I practice what I preach. I will definitely add some of the new things I learned and increase my elliptical time/level so it's more challenging, but continue to use that as the routine cardio until I shed a few more lbs. Excellent point about losing muscle because I can't afford to lose any, so I'll definitely add something. Thanks again!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    cminaz wrote: »
    Hello - I'm looking for an honest answer about using the elliptical, treadmill and stationary bike for weight loss. I know my diet is important and I am dieting with smaller frequent meals, nearly no bread, rice, etc, more vegetables and about 1300 calories a day. I have lost weight and need to increase excercise to improve health and boost weight loss. I was going to the gym and doing between 30-45 mins of cardio on these machines (mostly elliptical) with distances between 2-4.5 miles about 3-4 times a week for about 3 weeks. I was seeing my clothes fit different and losing a bit more weight. I was told to add more variety so I met with a trainer. He had me do boxing as cardio and I was sore and miserable for 3-4 days...didn't go to the gym at all because I was uncomfortable. I want to go back to what I was doing but I don't want to waste months on the machines alone it it won't really help me. Im very overweight and 38 years old. I get self continuous at the gym but I'll go and use machines comfortably. I don't care to be in the weight area with the bodybuilders or aerobic room with the ultra fit crossfitters (but good for them - I'm not hating!) I need to lose about 60 lbs. Are these "low impact" machines really effective for me and if so, how often or what is the best way to use them?

Welcome, @cminaz. :)

It seems to me you are making weight loss a bit more complicated than need be.

Eat less calories than you burn to lose weight. This is the only requirement.

Do whatever exercise you like to do, because it is not necessary at all to lose weight. Cardio provides endurance and weight lifting provides strength, and both are good for over all health.

I recommend weighing all foods, measuring all liquids, and logging everything I eat I do both cardio (run on treadmill, eliptical machines, stair steppers) and weight lift, and add in walking, but the only exercise numbers I are those for steady state cardio. I also use a heart rate monitor for my burn numbers. Wile this is what I do for accuracy, you need to do things and create habits that help you maintain a calorie deficit.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited August 2016

They only work if you are eating at a calorie deficit, hence it's not really the machine that is working. I say this because I gained 30 pounds in five years, even though I was doing the eliptical machines and running, because I was eating too much. :)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    cminaz wrote: »
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Thank you. This is great information and I do agree with you. Right now I'm trying to lose the weight more than anything. I have 2 sons that played multiple HS and now collegiate sports. They both coach youth sports and are active and fit. I've always driven them to be active and eat well so it's probably time that I practice what I preach. I will definitely add some of the new things I learned and increase my elliptical time/level so it's more challenging, but continue to use that as the routine cardio until I shed a few more lbs. Excellent point about losing muscle because I can't afford to lose any, so I'll definitely add something. Thanks again!

Just get some resistance bands and do a full body workout for like 40 minutes 3 times a week. Full body meaning working each of the major muscle groups. That plus slow steady weight loss should aid in retaining your muscle. Fact is if you are losing a lot of weight you will lose muscle, but if you add a little resistance training it'll go a long way to prevent too much muscle loss.
  • AGirrl
    AGirrl Posts: 29 Member
    Well, I was doing elliptical @ my local gym for almost 6 months, for about an hour every day (or an hour and a half if I was up to it,) and frankly I got bigger thighs rather than weight loss effect. At first I thought it was coincidental, but when I switched elliptical with actual walking (not teradmill,) my thighs have gone from huge to even slimmer than before.

I guess it depends on your body shape. Mine's a bit heavier "downstairs." Whenever I put too much effort on my legs, they become huge. As if I were taking steroids or sth equally volumizing. Anyways, I got rid of my overly muscled thighs by sticking to low-intensity walking.

I think it all comes down to personal experience; whatever works for you works.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    Any decent elliptical is a great tool for exercise and adding deficit through exercise if desired. Just remember that weight loss happens through deficit regardless.

Lower impact machines are great for certain things, and if you enjoy the machines then use them. But also keep in mind that those uncomfortable things such as boxing as often uncomfortable because you have less muscle in those areas. People looking to lose weight often have stronger legs from carrying around that weight, where the upper body isn't affected as directly.

I own a higher end elliptical and find is useful even at a lower weight. Any decent machine in general has a lot of data to use, as well as being something you can use in a more controlled and private setting.
  • tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    SLLRunner wrote: »

They only work if you are eating at a calorie deficit, hence it's not really the machine that is working. I say this because I gained 30 pounds in five years, even though I was doing the eliptical machines and running, because I was eating too much. :)

No. You must be at a calorie deficit. If you eat 1700 and maintain at 1700, but work off 300 on the elliptical you will be at a 300 calorie deficit for the day. If you eat 2000, maintain at 1700, but work off 300 on the elliptical you will maintain. You were eating too much, but you don't necessarily have to eat at a deficit as long as you're at a deficit overall. That's why some people eat back a portion of their exercise calories because they don't need to be at that kind of an extreme deficit.