Gastric band...any success stories?

Options
I am finally getting to the point where I think I should resort to lap band surgery. Tried everything to lose weight but very difficult on the meds that I am taking. Does anyone have any lap band stories? Did it work for you?

Replies

• icequeen120
    icequeen120 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been hesitant to reply on this because the MPF community typically advises against weight loss surgery unless it's as a very last resort. But there is a fair group of us on here and you'll find some good success stories if you look at fourms in the weight loss surgery groups.
    That said my story is the typicall been big all my life but ballooned when I went to college. At my largest I got to around 265 pounds. One day off the bat with the support of my mum and a friend I decided to get a lap band and I can happily say it was one of the best decisions of my life. I'm now down almost 100 pounds in two years and am not classed as obese for the first time since I've been about 12. But the thing with the band is it only does a small portion of the work, I still log to keep me in check and have to be aware of eating a balanced diet. I'm sure you've heard it's easy to still eat lots of high calorie things like chocolate and icecream because they go down easy. For me the band had been about rethinking what I eat, and experiencing fullness long before I would have before. It won't really help if your a boredom or emotional eater.
    I hope this has helped some! It's a big decision that you should talk through with a doctor and maybe a close family member or friend. The lap band can be a great tool for those who need it and put in the work to use it successfully, but it's unfortunatly not a fix all. :smile:
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of preparing for gastric sleeve surgery. I should be having it around the first of December. I'm doing it because I'm having obesity related health problems like sleep apnea and fatty liver. I have a very difficult time sustaining weight loss. I may lose 10 pounds over a 2 or 3 months, but then my weight loss will stop and not budge for 6 months. I have medical reasons for this difficulty, and the gastric sleeve will help me to counteract these issues. I know a lot of people on MFP don't approve of bariatric surgery, but for some of us, it's the only way.