Recovery snack / lunch after 5 mile runs

Options
For a good portion of this year I've been doing 5 mile runs (6:45 pace) at lunch. My meal afterwards typically consists of 1.5 cups of 0% greek yogurt and 200g of frozen berries. I then seem to be then snacking a lot throughout the afternoon.

I want to change this up to see if it helps with recovery and the snacking afterwards. Should I be focusing on more carbs and fat and less protein as my main meal after this length of run?

Wondering what some of you have as a main recovery snack or meal.

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    A glass of chocolate milk
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat anything special after just 5 miles. If you're hungry after, I'd just eat a bigger meal than just yogurt and fruit, which should help cut back on your later snacking.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I don't know about recovery for sure, but I find that if I eat something before beginning 30+ minutes of some form of cardio rather than wait for hunger to strike in the hours after my run, I feel more satied with just a small snack, whereas before, if I ate a bigger meal afterward, my "I'm full" signals take a while to catch up.
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Well I tried an apple right after the last 2 days and I seem to be on the right track in terms of feeling more satiated and not so ravenous after running. Might be onto something here so I'll try higher carb/fat right after before a big does of protein.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Youre hungry and snacking because you are giving yourself mainly carbs. Your body is burning through them quickly (especially after 5 miles) and then you feel hungry when your blood sugar begins dropping. First, you should probably consider eating more total than that tiny amount, but you should have more variety in it. Some simple carbs, some complex carbs, fats and protein.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Nice pace. What about adding a potato or rice to that snack?
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Maybe just add in a few complex carbs? I also do 200g greek yogurt & 100-200 grams berries after my 5 mile morning runs, but I also add in 30g or so of muesli (or granola or plain oats if you prefer).
  • powered85
    Options
    Youre hungry and snacking because you are giving yourself mainly carbs. Your body is burning through them quickly (especially after 5 miles) and then you feel hungry when your blood sugar begins dropping. First, you should probably consider eating more total than that tiny amount, but you should have more variety in it. Some simple carbs, some complex carbs, fats and protein.

I was mostly eating 50% protein / 50% carbs after my runs - seems to be helping with adding an apple right after the last couple days before the yogurt/berries. Imagine the apple provides more available sugar over the frozen berries. Don't seem to be getting as ravenous. Will see what else I can add perhaps some almonds or pumpkin seeds.

I'll also give that a try thank you.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »

I was mostly eating 50% protein / 50% carbs after my runs - seems to be helping with adding an apple right after the last couple days before the yogurt/berries. Imagine the apple provides more available sugar over the frozen berries. Don't seem to be getting as ravenous. Will see what else I can add perhaps some almonds or pumpkin seeds.

I'll also give that a try thank you.

The only foods you listed above was the yogurt and berries, so that was what I based my reply on. If it was just protein and carbs, try adding in some healthy fats. The type of carbs makes a huge difference also. simple sugars from fruit don't last, the carbs from granola, nuts, etc should keep you satisfied a lot longer.
  • powered85
    Options

The only foods you listed above was the yogurt and berries, so that was what I based my reply on. If it was just protein and carbs, try adding in some healthy fats. The type of carbs makes a huge difference also. simple sugars from fruit don't last, the carbs from granola, nuts, etc should keep you satisfied a lot longer.

Thanks. I'll search out a few more complex carb options for the post run meal and see how it goes!
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it would be a good idea to teach your body how to primarily use fat as your running fuel, versus carbs. You will find yourself not as hungry after a run and you won't feel the urge to indulge in carbs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Po-ta-to

But really, whatever works for you. Not really all that big of a deal for a 40ish minute workout.
  • powered85
    Options
    In my opinion, it would be a good idea to teach your body how to primarily use fat as your running fuel, versus carbs. You will find yourself not as hungry after a run and you won't feel the urge to indulge in carbs.

Interesting you mention that. The leanest and fastest I've been is when I ran a 50c/30f/20p ratio. When I swapped the fat for protein I found myself more hungry and put on some weight.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    powered85 wrote: »

Interesting you mention that. The leanest and fastest I've been is when I ran a 50c/30f/20p ratio. When I swapped the fat for protein I found myself more hungry and put on some weight.

The user was referring to being in ketosis, which if you didn't research and figure out how to do then most likely you didn't actually end up in ketosis and would not have reached its benefits. My own personal experience this past weekend was running a Spartan Sprint (4.4 miles with 20 obstacles) in ketosis. I ate sushi the night before, just a little bit of oolong tea with MCT oil in it for breakfast and had an all natural fruit bar half way through the race. Afterwards I ate one banana and about an hour or two later I had a small salad, and then ate 3 eggs and 2 slices of bacon for dinner. That's all I ate the whole day, and I never felt hungry.

It sounds like you eat a lot of carbs now - which means you burn through your energy source during your run and afterwards are hungry because your body wants more fuel. Carbs or protein will help you feel more satisfied if you don't want to switch to a high fat ketogenic diet. You may also just want to look at how you structure your food intake throughout the day. Maybe eat less in the morning and a little more after your workout. Find what works best for you. Good luck!