ANYONE Know How/ What to purchase ?

Options
babynew
babynew Posts: 613 Member
..for everyday powders ,such as Garlic,or Onion powder with NO Sulfites?
OR How to make your own?
..or granulated?
All have sulfites added as an anti clumping agent.

Replies

• PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I found this on this on the Web. I doubt you will find something without sulfites or so I think.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 heads of garlic
    Dehydrator
    High speed blender or spice/ coffee grinder

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Roughly cut one end off the garlic (I leave the root side in tact so the garlic stays together).
    Peel and slice the garlic thin.
    Dehydrate until bone dry (about 3 hours at 125 degrees)
    Grind into a powder
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about fresh garlic and a garlic press? I keep whole cloves in a specialty vented garlic holder and they stay fresh for a long time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wXSDepg8Bfs
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options
    Hadn't seen the garlic peeling done with a mason jar before. I do it with two small aluminum bowls.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Organic garlic powder from whole foods?
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Try buying minced garlic or onion in the spice aisle instead of the powdered. Then you can grind it down into a powder with a spice grinder or pestle and mortar if you have one. That's what I usually do! I'm pretty sure the only ingredient is dried garlic/dried onion.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Hadn't seen the garlic peeling done with a mason jar before. I do it with two small aluminum bowls.

I just put the garlic clove(s) on the cutting board, put the flat side of the knife against the close, put the heel of my hand on the flat of the blade, and press down. The close is crushed and the skin slides right off. No need to dirty extra jars or bowls.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,221 Member
    Options

I just put the garlic clove(s) on the cutting board, put the flat side of the knife against the close, put the heel of my hand on the flat of the blade, and press down. The close is crushed and the skin slides right off. No need to dirty extra jars or bowls.

Doesn't really dirty the bowls beyond needing a quick wipe. Besides, I only do it on the rare occasions that I'm peeling more than five or six cloves. I never use that method just for two or three. It's a quick bulk peeling method.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Thanks Runngurl,I hadn't thought of that..daah,and I'm sure it'd probably work for onions as well.I've usually a good supply of fresh onions,and garlic on hand,..but for the convenience of a powder when you are out of it ( or not),is why the question was posed.I've bought onion powder with no sulfites,( Frontier brand )and it's ok,it just turns into a rock Ha! I usually make my own spice/ herb blends # 1 because of the sulfites, &#2 the added chemical sodium.
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    I found this on this on the Web. I doubt you will find something without sulfites or so I think.

INGREDIENTS:
    3 heads of garlic
    Dehydrator
    High speed blender or spice/ coffee grinder

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Roughly cut one end off the garlic (I leave the root side in tact so the garlic stays together).
    Peel and slice the garlic thin.
    Dehydrate until bone dry (about 3 hours at 125 degrees)
    Grind into a powder

I've done this before. The garlic powder is outstanding and much fresher tasting...I've hit up my local farmers market for fresh garlic and will be making another batch in the next week or so. Well worth doing :)
  • megsi886
    megsi886 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You could get frozen crushed garlic cubes. Those have replaced powder and nearly replaced fresh garlic in my life.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

I've gone to using a metal spatula to press on, the knife technique always makes me nervous!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    megsi886 wrote: »
    You could get frozen crushed garlic cubes. Those have replaced powder and nearly replaced fresh garlic in my life.

Where do you find those?
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I've gone to using a metal spatula to press on, the knife technique always makes me nervous!

It does keep me on toes (literally, as I'm not that tall compared to the counter, and I find this works best if I get my center of gravity a little higher so I can put my weight into my hand). :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Doesn't really dirty the bowls beyond needing a quick wipe. Besides, I only do it on the rare occasions that I'm peeling more than five or six cloves. I never use that method just for two or three. It's a quick bulk peeling method.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind -- I seldom do more than three or four cloves at a time, and often just one or two.
  • rnnursebarb
    rnnursebarb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has frozen garlic cubes, as well as cilantro, basil and parsley, I think.