Great start yesterday...not a great finish...

So I had a great eating day during work hours. Was feeling great. But then around dinner, I CHOSE to split a frozen pizza with the wife. It was good. Felt a bit guilty though. But--I was still under my calorie count at the end of the day. Baby steps I guess.....

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    so what do you feel guilty about if you ended below cals?
  • stv1520
    stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
    Trying to cut out my usual bad foods. And importantly-resist urges for pizza. Should have done turkey and lettuce tacos, but the pizza was way more convenient
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    if pizza is a triger to binge then it seems you started controlling yourself - if it is because you consider pizza as a "bad / non clean food" then stick to the basics - any type of weight fluctuation is based quantity not quality.
  • stv1520
    True. That's why I'm thinking baby steps. More good choices, more often.
  • HeidiFuture
    HeidiFuture Posts: 54 Member
    I started by pre-cooking and freezing or refrigerating meals. Cut fruits and veggies in Tupperware. Etc etc it makes it easy when you have food already prepared for dinner. Can you ask Wifey to help healthy food choices? Keep working at it and you will see a change :)
  • stv1520
    Yep- Had lots of fruits and veggies yesterday (I am a massive snacker) but then just gave in at dinner. :neutral: Just want to cut those decisions down more often.
  • AudreyHaven
    AudreyHaven Posts: 3 Member
    I do this all the time too. Very frustrating!
  • cqueenbee12
    cqueenbee12 Posts: 48 Member
    I think that is my problem too. I get to making unhealthy choices bc of convenience after work. I do great at work then feel bad for picking easy options when I get home.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Sounds like you did well to me. Even if the goal is to improve your nutrition and your dinner choices, taking it one step at a time and as a progressive, not an all or nothing thing is really important. We can't be perfect and one thing that really helped me succeed this time was not making the perfect the enemy of the good -- don't think of it as you are perfect or failing.

And for weight loss the calories are what matter. Changing the diet often makes sticking to the calories easier and more fun, but that comes over time.

When you don't do something you'd planned to, rather than beating yourself up about it, one good reason is to figure out why not. Sometimes you learn what you should work on (having food in the refrigerator or a plan in place), and sometimes you realize, you know, it was really worth it to change the plans that one time!
  • stv1520
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Sounds like you did well to me. Even if the goal is to improve your nutrition and your dinner choices, taking it one step at a time and as a progressive, not an all or nothing thing is really important. We can't be perfect and one thing that really helped me succeed this time was not making the perfect the enemy of the good -- don't think of it as you are perfect or failing.

And for weight loss the calories are what matter. Changing the diet often makes sticking to the calories easier and more fun, but that comes over time.

When you don't do something you'd planned to, rather than beating yourself up about it, one good reason is to figure out why not. Sometimes you learn what you should work on (having food in the refrigerator or a plan in place), and sometimes you realize, you know, it was really worth it to change the plans that one time!

You're right. Last time I did this (lose 30 lbs) I wasn't perfect. In fact, my wife and I were doing great with our 'diets' until one night, when there was some interruptions to our normal evening, we ordered pizza, and gorged! When we stepped onto the scale at the end of the week, we both LOST weight. Shock to the system? We didn't make it a normal thing of course. But I've been so awful with my diet and exercise since May, that this seems to be the hardest lifestyle change I've ever experienced.