Am I overtraining?

Options
Go to the gym six times a week for about 2.5 hours each session. I've recently started feeling physically shot after every workout like chronic fatigue, aching like mad, irritability (the slightest thing annoys me) and just a negative outlook on life, my body and my health. I've had all tests possible and everything is fine except high creatinine levels which was attributed to my low body fat and have also increases caloric intake to 3800 a day and increasing my sodium in the hope I wasn't getting enough energy or replenishing my electrolytes but nothing has worked. I thought that my depression and anxiety may cause this but I'm currently getting counselling and my physical state has got worse. Do you recommend taking a week off? The only reason why I don't want to atm is because I have nothing to do during the day as I'm a student and it's summer so the gym is the only time I get out

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Do a deload instead. Half your training volume and reassess after a week.
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Is a deload just doing less volume and intensity?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    Do a deload instead. Half your training volume and reassess after a week.

Half?
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Yeah pretty much. I prefer keeping intensity the same and just doing half total reps.

This video goes more depth about fatigue management (mostly aimed at powerlifters and weightlifters, but the principles apply to anyone doing strength training):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPZtjXYNkm0
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Why 2.5 hours? Unless you are a top level athlete, I see it as overkill.

I just feel really guilty if I don't do that much and with having OCD it's incredibly difficult for me to change. I weight train for 2 hours which I know is far too much
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Is there a change in food? Something your taking? Excess of caffeine?
  • BigJes37
    Options
    I only ask because someone like me who works 12 hours a day 6 days a week with 5 kids and try to workout 4 days a week with maybe 6 hours sleep a night I found it to be my diet. Made a big difference with my energy levels.
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Cross train. Mix it up a little. What other sports do you do? And besides strength training, are there other work outs you do at the gym eg rowing, cycling/spinning, circuit training, Pilates etc.?
  • Triathlete1502
    Triathlete1502 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Also try having a couple of rest days per week. Or a couple of low intensity work out days as rest days could be helpful towards recovery too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When was the last time you had more than two days off in a row?
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    When was the last time you had more than two days off in a row?

about a month ago for a 4 day holiday, not take a week off in about 3 years because I don't go abroad for my holidays
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    BigJes37 wrote: »

I have tried adjusting my diet to see if it was anything ive been eatng/drinking e.g. stopped taking l-carnitine and bcaas because of their side effects but little changed. I even changed from soya milk back to normal milk because of the soy sid effects even though i'm lactose intolerance but have had to swap back because of the pain normal milk gives. I don't take any caffeine. How long do you spend in the gym and what program to do only 4x a week?
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Cross train. Mix it up a little. What other sports do you do? And besides strength training, are there other work outs you do at the gym eg rowing, cycling/spinning, circuit training, Pilates etc.?

I run 2.2k, 3k bike and 1k crosstrain every day as well as my weighttraining
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    I only ask because someone like me who works 12 hours a day 6 days a week with 5 kids and try to workout 4 days a week with maybe 6 hours sleep a night I found it to be my diet. Made a big difference with my energy levels.

what did you find in your diet was hindering you?
  • BigJes37
    Options

I have tried adjusting my diet to see if it was anything ive been eatng/drinking e.g. stopped taking l-carnitine and bcaas because of their side effects but little changed. I even changed from soya milk back to normal milk because of the soy sid effects even though i'm lactose intolerance but have had to swap back because of the pain normal milk gives. I don't take any caffeine. How long do you spend in the gym and what program to do only 4x a week?

I don't ever spend more then a hour. I do more of a bodybuilding routine. Hit all muscle groups in those 4 days. Day one I would do something like a chest exercise then go directly to a smaller muscle the rest 60 seconds repeat.
  • BigJes37
    Options

Staying to natural non processed foods consistently has helped. If I choose to eat out of that window I immediately notice fatigue and become tired. I know my body pretty well from testing different foods and the reactions it will have. It's predictably ;)
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

Staying to natural non processed foods consistently has helped. If I choose to eat out of that window I immediately notice fatigue and become tired. I know my body pretty well from testing different foods and the reactions it will have. It's predictably ;)

I eat natural non processed foods in practically 100% of my diet
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

I don't ever spend more then a hour. I do more of a bodybuilding routine. Hit all muscle groups in those 4 days. Day one I would do something like a chest exercise then go directly to a smaller muscle the rest 60 seconds repeat.

do you find restricting yourself to an hour for all your body parts misses out key exercises? like an hour doing chest, arms, legs, back and shoulders
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    Why 2.5 hours? Unless you are a top level athlete, I see it as overkill.

I just feel really guilty if I don't do that much and with having OCD it's incredibly difficult for me to change. I weight train for 2 hours which I know is far too much

Hey Callum, I think it's likely you already know you're training too much and your body is letting you know. Take fatigue seriously, I didn't and was ill for years. I understand the nature of OCD and I think there is some re-wiring for you here. It's one thing to miss a workout and feel frustrated by that, but it's another to feel guilty. Have you got someone to help you make some choices to cut back a bit?