Help, if you've been here

Options
My story, began in February 2015 at 330 lbs. with blood pressure and diabetic issues. Losing from 330 to about 200 lbs was, for lack of a better word, easy. I had no problems staying on my eating plan, avoiding restaurants, and keeping my workout schedule. Hit the 199 mark in April of 2016 and ever since then...oh boy. I have struggled to avoid overeating and binge eating and here lately I have gotten lazy on my exercise routine.
I know that I feel better when I eat properly and have more energy when I exercise, but I am currently struggling with both. My weight has gone from 200 up to 230 lbs.
Looking for those who have made it successfully through similar struggles, please give me tips and advice to help me.

Replies

• EDROBIII
    EDROBIII Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me several times in my journey to stay fit. I was 210 and got to 167 lbs. Then I was transferred to a different location at work. That altered my eating habits and routines. I finally got back on course after gaining to 218 lbs in 15 months. I reached 176 lbs and another transfer happned. I am 210 and I am currently working to get back to 167. This time I promised myself to not let life alter my thinking and motivation to stay fit for life. This process is a marathon not a sprint. Sometimes we have to slow down and other times we speed up. The key I am finding out through it all is we have to keep moving, no matter how fast or slow just keep moving. Hope this helps.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    bmx246477 wrote: »
    That has happened to me several times in my journey to stay fit. I was 210 and got to 167 lbs. Then I was transferred to a different location at work. That altered my eating habits and routines. I finally got back on course after gaining to 218 lbs in 15 months. I reached 176 lbs and another transfer happned. I am 210 and I am currently working to get back to 167. This time I promised myself to not let life alter my thinking and motivation to stay fit for life. This process is a marathon not a sprint. Sometimes we have to slow down and other times we speed up. The key I am finding out through it all is we have to keep moving, no matter how fast or slow just keep moving. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the encouragement. Best of luck in your journey!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Stop being lazy and just do it. There are no tips... it has to come from you.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to learn to mentally make some things nonnegotiable. Healthy eating and exercise becomes a way of life, and you stick to those habits like you do other habits like showering or brushing your teeth.
    Everyone's life involves changes in routine like new jobs etc. Just be diligent in keeping your healthy eating and exercise in place now matter what.
    You've got this!!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My eating routines were way off, I was obese and I felt miserable. I had lost weight before, and regained even though I "promised" myself I wouldn't. I had to treat myself both kinder and stricter. I need a good eating structure so I created a meal plan that I
    1) LIKE and
    2) FOLLOW.

I also move some every day. Not necessarily exercise - walking is fine.
  • michael_jordan7
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

You are a ton of help.
  • michael_jordan7
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I get it. When I saw 199, it was like all my focus flew out the window. Don't have all the answers, but I do have a couple of thoughts. 130 lbs in just over a year was a major accomplishment in a pretty short amount of time. It probably felt easy because of the sense of accomplishment, but it required sacrifice and hard work. Some benefit from a maintenance break after a long stretch of restricting (but the key word there is *maintenance*). Also, you are in completely different territory now, so it's likely time to revisit your goals. 2 lbs/week was probably fairly easy at 300, but at 200 (even 230), you would likely benefit from a more modest goal. Keep it sustainable so you're not as likely to get discouraged or start to feel deprived. As to the exercise, I've always found if I commit to 5 minutes, even if I don't feel like it, I'm likely to finish the workout. We need to tap back into the good feelings our healthy lifestyle was giving us. Don't get discouraged- you've regained a fraction of your loss, but you can put a stop to that now and will still be reaping all the benefits you've gained. Wish you the best :)

Thank you for encouraging words and some good advice. I need to have a good solid week of eating and exercise that is my goal for this week.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Echoing the advice above. If you've been dieting for awhile, a diet break might just the thing. Give yourself a chance to practice eating at maintenance for a few weeks or so, without the deficit. Sometimes I find that really helps with the binge problem. It gives you more calories to play with for awhile. Also would agree that 2 lbs/wk is probably too much at this point now if you're binging. If you set to 1 lb/wk, it'll be slower, but you'll have more calories to eat each day. That might be more comfortable for you. For weight loss, slow and steady tends to be the best approach.
  • NancyYale
    NancyYale Posts: 171 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So many others, including myself, have this problem at Onederland. It's completely mental and the only way through it is to just keep working on it. There is no magic bullet here. Just decide tomorrow that you will hit the store for food you like that will fit your plan and start over. If you mess it up, hit your plan the next day. Repeat. Don't quit! Once you push through this issue the weight will start to fall off again. Ignore it and you will gain it all back.
  • michael_jordan7
    Options
    NancyYale wrote: »
    So many others, including myself, have this problem at Onederland. It's completely mental and the only way through it is to just keep working on it. There is no magic bullet here. Just decide tomorrow that you will hit the store for food you like that will fit your plan and start over. If you mess it up, hit your plan the next day. Repeat. Don't quit! Once you push through this issue the weight will start to fall off again. Ignore it and you will gain it all back.

Thank you for some good advice and I am determined not to ignore it or to gain the weight back.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Please don't quit! I have had my moments and similar times too. Just keep at it. Even if your motivation and enthusiasm isn't there right now just keep going. I promise it will come back to you.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My story, began in February 2015 at 330 lbs. with blood pressure and diabetic issues. Losing from 330 to about 200 lbs was, for lack of a better word, easy. I had no problems staying on my eating plan, avoiding restaurants, and keeping my workout schedule. Hit the 199 mark in April of 2016 and ever since then...oh boy. I have struggled to avoid overeating and binge eating and here lately I have gotten lazy on my exercise routine.
    I know that I feel better when I eat properly and have more energy when I exercise, but I am currently struggling with both. My weight has gone from 200 up to 230 lbs.
    Looking for those who have made it successfully through similar struggles, please give me tips and advice to help me.

For "overeating" (by which I presume you mean eating too much at meals), I put proper portions on my plate the first time, and say no to seconds. If I ever go back for seconds, I immediately know I'm failing.

For "binge eating" (by which I presume you mean excessive snacking), I find that, psychologically, binge eating is a lot like dwelling on a bad break-up. I'm in the most danger of binge eating during idle time, during which I have too much time and not enough to think about--so I think about eating. The solution is to keep busy, keep your mind focused on something, anything, to keep yourself out of the kitchen. My wife works long shifts on the weekends, and I'm left home alone all day. I fill that time by doing any chores she assigns me, home projects that I decide need to be done, reading books, and (I'm a millennial; don't judge me) video games.

For exercise, the advice I give everyone is to make yourself want to exercise. Many people use cardio as an opportunity to listen to music. If you're more of an audiobook guy (as I am), listen to one of those. If my mind's racing and I can't focus on an audiobook, I use that time to think, and record my thoughts on an audio recording device (my phone). For younger people I recommend Pokemon Go.

In general, if you have family or close friends who are struggling to lose weight, it's remarkable what a friendly competition with just enough cash at stake can do.
  • Francl27
    edited August 2016
    Options
    KylerJaye wrote: »

That's hysterical coming from YOU...

Huh? I'm probably the least lazy person I know, lol...

You are a ton of help.

Just brutally honest. People who search for outside help to help them with weight loss motivation will never find it... it has to come from inside. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I mean, gosh, it took me over 10 years to be ready to make the change. It only ended working when I REALLY wanted it... more than eating the food.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Have you taken a diet break? You've yo-yoed but kudos on catching it at only 30lb gain

Start weighing all your food and logging it accurately

Aim for maintaining 230 for 4 weeks ...this will be a cut on what you're eating but you have to stop your rebound

Then think about cutting

This is great advice. After a huge loss (congrats!) like you've had, taking a break to adjust to maintenance for a little while isn't quitting, and it can be helpful in getting yourself back into it.

Also, if you are feeling bored and fatigued with what you are doing, maybe set new and inspiring goals, try a new kind of exercise, something that will get you excited again.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I believe she's referring to you having not achieved your goal weight or rather been maintaining for 2 years despite being 2# from goal. If you wanted to lose those 2#, you'd "stop being lazy and just do it".

OP, I agree with taking a short diet break and eating at maintenance for a week. You might be surprised the mental relief.
  • Francl27
    edited August 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

I believe she's referring to you having not achieved your goal weight or rather been maintaining for 2 years despite being 2# from goal. If you wanted to lose those 2#, you'd "stop being lazy and just do it".

OP, I agree with taking a short diet break and eating at maintenance for a week. You might be surprised the mental relief.

Fair enough. But it proves my point too - it has to come from you (generic 'you'). If you don't want it enough, it's not going to happen (although in my case, I don't think it's laziness - which were OP's words - as much as just not wanting it enough).

I don't understand the 'take a maintenance break' thing though. He gained 30 pounds back... he's got that break.
  • KylerJaye
    KylerJaye Posts: 861 Member
    Options

You are a ton of help.

Just brutally honest. People who search for outside help to help them with weight loss motivation will never find it... it has to come from inside. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I mean, gosh, it took me over 10 years to be ready to make the change. It only ended working when I REALLY wanted it... more than eating the food.

the least lazy person you know....also the whiniest, most miserable and hypocritical person as well....