Portion?

Options
zahra59
zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
I'm having trouble with portion sizes could you guys please give me a rundown of how many grams of steak,chicken, fish and v veggies example if I want to make a spare keys fish and a sweet potato how do I portion out I don't like using cups i like using grams that's how I grew up in counting stuff

Replies

• zahra59
    zahra59 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Asparagus sorry autocorrect
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    A suggested serving size gives an idea of what a "normal" portion would be.

A portion is how much of something you eat. It's not a specific size. Some days you might want more and some days you might be satisfied with less. Your portion just depends upon how much you want and how it fits into your day with the other things you eat that day.

As for measuring, grams are the most accurate way to go with solids.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The answer from my diabetic training is that a portion of meat is about the size of a deck of cards.

You could weigh your fish and see how many grams that comes out to.

Another method I've seen talked about here is to enter your entire meal as a recipe, weighing as you go, and list the number of portions as the total number of grams of your meal.

Then at dinner you weigh your plate and enter that number of "servings" (grams).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    A portion that suits a 6'5" man could be very different from a 5' woman. You should eat the amount that fits your goals- calories, protein, etc... whatever you are looking at.
    Decide how much you want to eat, weigh it on a food scale, find a correct entry in the database and log it. If it has multiple ingredients you might want to use the recipe builder. You can pre-log before you eat to make sure that portion size fits your goals.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When possible, check the product label for suggested serving size. That gives you a good starting point.

Those labels typically use a 2000 calorie diet.

For me, my maintenance is 1400 before exercise. As such, I often choose to have 50%-75% of the suggested serving size.

How much you eat depends on how it's cooked, too. Steamed veggies will generally have fewer calories than veggies sautéed in oil if you start with the same amount of raw veggies.

I think it's the My Plate website that gives some suggestions for serving sizes - they may not list them in grams, but I think they do ounces. You could just convert to grams then.

There's no rule that says you must eat 112g of steak at a meal, and no more or less. It's up to you. Play around with portion sizes to find what keeps you full for the longest amount of time. Start with serving suggestions on the packages or from the My Plate site, and adjust up or down as needed.

Aim to meet your protein and fat goals. Exceeding is OK too.

I had 200g of ice cream after dinner today. Still managed to mostly meet my macros. It was delicious.

~Lyssa