Took a week off, came back and upped my weights?

Options
Recently I took a week off from working out due to getting sick. Well I went to the gym this afternoon and was really surprised that I was able to up my weight on just about everything (did a full body workout today so that included chest, back, shoulders, biceps, triceps, quads, hamstrings, and abs), despite the break. Has anyone had that happen before?

I guess I can understand maybe my muscles had a chance to recover from my normal 4 days/wk lifting, but in my experience, I usually lose strength after an extended break. Not complaint, just curious!

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It's actually fairly common for that to happen
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'd say your muscles needed the break.
    I was away camping earlier this summer for 5 days, so while I did shorter, body weight and interval/running workouts, I didn't lift like I usually do, and the day I got back tot he gym I PR'd my back squat by 15lbs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I think most people feel a bit energized from a deload or break.

It's also very common to have good and bad days regardless if you deload or take time off.

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sounds like you were stuck being chronically under-recovered to me.
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I went to Scotland for a 2 week work trip earlier this month. My only workouts were walking miles and miles a day and a few hikes up mountains. Came back to the gym and lifted so much heavier!
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok cool! You're all saying what I kind of thought might be the case, but like I said, it's never really happened to me that way before! Thanks everyone!