BRCA gene test for breast cancer: pros and cons

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
Have anyone gotten the BRCA analysis genetic testing??? It is a blood test that uses DNA analysis to determine if you have a specific mutation in your genes that shows you an increase risk of breast cancer. Usually people who have a strong family history of breast cancer choose to get this testing done.

I have been interested in doing this for years. My mom was first diagnosed with breast cancer at a very young age (36) and died from it when she was only 42. She had a very aggressive type of breast cancer (both estrogen and progesterone positive) and I have basically all the risk factors and indicators for having a very high risk.

I'd like to see what others say about the PROS and CONS for getting the testing done. If you have gotten the blood test, what was your experience with it? What are your thoughts and perspective about the gene testing?

At first, I didn't want to get tested because what good is it to know "Yes, I have the gene" or "No, I don't have the gene"... I figured it would just mess with my mind and I wouldn't change anything about my life anyways. BUT I know for sure that if I do have the gene mutation, then I want to get a prophylactic mastectomy to reduce my risk of breast cancer by up to 90%. I have talked to my doctor about this and she thinks it's a good idea to go ahead and do this. I am only 22 years old, but my mom's cancer was so aggressive at such a young age that I have to start getting mammograms at age 25. (Because you have to start 10 years before the age of diagnosis in your first degree relative) I wouldn't get the mastectomy until a few years down the road, but I still would like to know what my options are. (Just to clarify, I would get reconstructive breasts and 0% of this procedure would be for cosmetic reasons!! Because I actually like my boobs haha.. but if this ends up saving my life, then it would be worth it)

I'm just really on the fence about what I should do and would like to read difference perspectives about people not involved with my own personal situation! THANKS in advance everyone :)

Replies

• susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I can't see a con for at least getting the test, other than cost.

If you turned out negative, then you could breathe a big huge sigh of relief.

If you turned out positive, you could start planning on what/when to do.
  • sarah307
    Options
    That is kind of what I was thinking, but one of my friends is like against it and so she made me question if I should or not.
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I can't see any cons, either. I had the test done a few years ago. My insurance paid for all of it. My mother was diagnosed at age 33 and passed away at age 36. My family didn't know which type of breast cancer she had, but it certainly made sense to do the genetic testing to rule it out for me (and for my niece, though she's yet to do it).

I was negative for the mutation, so here's the "con" in my mind...Ok, so I'm negative...now I still have the threat of breast cancer hanging over my head. I've had several issues with my breasts, but so far, all biopsies have been normal. That's great, I know, but I still feel like it's looming in my future. Had I tested positive, I'd have had the surgeries and basically knocked my odds down to pretty close to zero. My friend just celebrated her one year "boobaversary" (having the mastectomy/hysterectomy after a positive BRCA result) and she feels free. I felt almost let down by what is really a good thing. Maybe this makes no sense, but that's where I was, emotionally.

I think you should most definitely have the testing done, unless your insurance doesn't cover it and cost is a concern. If you can't do it for financial reasons, just be sure to be diligent about mammograms and possibly MRIs (which I have yearly...covered by insurance due to close family relation with the disease.)

Good luck in your decision making process:)
  • sarah307
    Options
    I can't see any cons, either. I had the test done a few years ago. My insurance paid for all of it. My mother was diagnosed at age 33 and passed away at age 36. My family didn't know which type of breast cancer she had, but it certainly made sense to do the genetic testing to rule it out for me (and for my niece, though she's yet to do it).

I was negative for the mutation, so here's the "con" in my mind...Ok, so I'm negative...now I still have the threat of breast cancer hanging over my head. I've had several issues with my breasts, but so far, all biopsies have been normal. That's great, I know, but I still feel like it's looming in my future. Had I tested positive, I'd have had the surgeries and basically knocked my odds down to pretty close to zero. My friend just celebrated her one year "boobaversary" (having the mastectomy/hysterectomy after a positive BRCA result) and she feels free. I felt almost let down by what is really a good thing. Maybe this makes no sense, but that's where I was, emotionally.

I think you should most definitely have the testing done, unless your insurance doesn't cover it and cost is a concern. If you can't do it for financial reasons, just be sure to be diligent about mammograms and possibly MRIs (which I have yearly...covered by insurance due to close family relation with the disease.)

Good luck in your decision making process:)

thank you for sharing your experience! This was helpful
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There are no cons to having the test.

Knowledge is power, and, like you said, may save your life.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Please discuss this carefully with a geneticist (+/- breast surgeon) before committing to a test. The ramifications (for yourself and any relatives) are more profound than people think!

Bear in mind that a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy +/- hysterectomy will not reduce your chances to zero, and even if you test negative you still have at least a 1 in 9 chance of contracting breast cancer over a lifetime (this is the general adult female UK population - scary stats indeed!) There have been women who tested negative still insisting on bilateral mastectomies due to justifiable fear.

Also, if you have other female relatives your test result could have an impact on them deciding whether or not to get tested...

In summary all the best with your decision but weigh carefully before proceeding.
  • sarah307
    Options
    Yes, obviously I am at an even higher risk than the average population. I don't really see any cons either, but some may say that we aren't supposed to know those things but I really think if I was positive then I could have the surgery and feel free (even though I know it does not make your chances go down to zero, it does reduce risk a lot) thanks everyone!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    My friend had breast cancer at 31 (her mother died at 36), she had the test done and ended up not having either gene -- that was vital info she was able to pass on to her nieces.

I would tell your friend, as politely as possible, that any negativity concerning you being proactive about your heath (and life) is unwelcome.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Well, if the mastectomy really would make that big of a difference, and you're willing to do it, I'd say go get tested. However, I'm under the impression that oophorectomy is what really decreases your risk, especially when coupled with a mastectomy. I'd talk to your doctor (A LOT) about the test, and what course of action you'll take, and when, if it's positive. Would you do the mastectomy when you're 25 and oophorectomy when you're 30? Longer? Earlier? Just seems like things you'd want to think about before you know the results, so you can consider those choices before having the pressure of a possible positive result influencing you. GL.