Help -- honey has 60 calories OMG!

Options
Trish1c
Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
As we turn toward autumn, I will go back to hot tea for breakfast. I usually have it with a teaspoon of local honey. I like the way local honey helps my allergies too.

But wow -- 60 calories a teaspoon. I suppose I could use sugar at only 12 calories but it loses the richness.

In the long run if I go over by 60 calories per day I'm not gonna sweat it but I'm still floored by how calorie dense honey is.

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    This is why it is amusing when people post that they are cutting out sugar to lose weight but plan to still use honey...

Starting to log what you normally eat is a great way to get an idea of how many calories are in some of your favorite foods, so that you can then decide where it's worth it to you to make changes. If honey in your tea makes you happy, I'm sure you'll find a way to work that 60 calories in by making changes elsewhere.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Good news - it's got 60 cals a tablespoon. A teaspoon is 21 calories.

True, my honey at home is 60/tablespoon.

Regardless, as you know, if you're struggling the honey's not the problem.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Regardless, as you know, if you're struggling the honey's not the problem.

Fortunately I'm not struggling.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Good news your Brain burns 200 plus calories everyday just being you and you more than likely burn 60 calories every hour laying on the couch doing nothing.

I mean this in the most positive way just be a little more active and you can eat anything you want too..
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

even though this is the case, i got used to drinking all my drinks calorie free and i think it's a great choice. In my opinion, it's so much easier to not have to worry about the calories in my drinks and just focus on the calories in my food.

I know i personally was drinking 6+ cups of coffee with creamer and sugar a day, a coke here and there, in the winter i'd drink copious amount of flavored teas with honey, and more. For soft drinks i now drink "zero" varieties. For coffee I drink it black (sometimes i'll get a flavored roasted coffee bean) with splenda or sweet n' low. For teas i drink them with splenda or sweet n low.

Just by switching these things out I was able to cut out an extra 2-300 calories a day that i wasn't even thinking about it.

By all means, if you enjoy honey, go for it! Just account for all the calories and make sure to log each and every tea you choose to drink. It certainly adds up and is pretty easy to forget.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    21g is a serving. That's actually quite a lot of honey.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Have the honey, honey. Pass on the snickers. You got this.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Indeed...
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There's not much difference between sugar and honey, why would you switch? Just use a reasonable amount and track it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Keep a bag of Snickers Minis somewhere near. 45 cal.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There's not much difference between sugar and honey, why would you switch? Just use a reasonable amount and track it.

Is she switching? I thought she was saying she liked it with honey but thought honey had a lot more calories (which she could deal with, but which was a bummer). Happily for her, the difference is not so great.

I'd not switch from sugar to honey unless the honey tasted better in whatever it is. (I get thinking honey is tastier in tea -- I hate sweetened coffee or tea, but probably because of childhood memories still consider tea with honey a pleasant beverage when I have a sore throat.)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Good news your Brain burns 200 plus calories everyday just being you and you more than likely burn 60 calories every hour laying on the couch doing nothing.

I mean this in the most positive way just be a little more active and you can eat anything you want too..

Hahahaha! That migh tbe YOUR formula, but it sure is not mine. 1200 calories a day is maintenance for me. That is less than your 60 calories per hour, and I am pretty active.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Trish1c wrote: »
    It's 60 calories per tablespoon (even though MFP says teaspoon)

Just because it might be helpful, it's worth pointing out that MFP does not say that a teaspoon of honey is any particular number. It has a bunch of different entries, some of which appear to be correct, some of which I'm sure are wrong, because numerous entries entered by MFP-users are wrong.

A good thing to do is check entries -- especially ones that seem off or surprising -- with the USDA. https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6287?manu=&fgcd=
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to reiterate what lemur said check the entries as so many are wrong, they are entered by other users so yes beware , enjoy the honey.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I mean.. how much honey can you realistically eat in one sitting, versus how many spoons of sugar could you (hypothetically) swallow easily?

Honey is AWESOME. Especially on toasted wholewheat bread... I used to go nuts for that when I lived on my own. Perfect winter breakfast.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Have the honey, honey. Pass on the snickers. You got this.

i'd rather have the snickers....!