Want to lose 30 pounds how do I do it?

Options
I have gained weight these past few years due to health issues and being bedridden. It would be my absolute dream to lose 30 pounds by when I graduate college in May. I'm always a committed person when I say I'm going to do something......I just I guess don't know exactly what to do to make this commitment come true. Any ideas?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You have to want it badly enough.

30 pounds by May is absolutely doable. You wouldn't even have to cut calories too much either so you should find it easier. Most people crash and burn cos they half starve themselves which of course leads to just giving up as noone can stick to high calorie deficit consistently.

Plug in your stats to MFP and it will tell you how many calories to eat per day.

All the best. :smiley:
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Coming here is an excellent start.

Begin by logging what you consume -- that's everything -- food, drinks, snacks, condiments, spices etc. You will be shocked at the calories. You will also have your eyes opened about portions.

Cut out the empty calories -- soda & booze are the biggest culprits. Drink more water.

Make small changes -- take the stairs, park farther away, etc.

Then work up to the big changes . . . .lowering your calories, improving your nutrition, exercising etc.

Yours is a realistic goal. It took 3 years for the weight to come on; you can't expect it to disappear overnight.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You lose 30 by starting with one.

Great start, read the stickys and do it. Spend 15 on a food scale and use it, you'll be an expert soon.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Plug your stats into MFP, tell it you want to lose a pound per week, and stay under your calories. Focus on foods that satiate you.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    As above poster said but to put it in real simple terms Eat less, move more. Works for me. 44 lbs down.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    meritage4 wrote: »
    As above poster said but to put it in real simple terms Eat less, move more. Works for me. 44 lbs down.

Might be difficult to move more since OP mentioned she was bedridden:
    I have gained weight these past few years due to health issues and being bedridden.

Not sure if she still is, but still.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    One thought, since you may be in bed more often, it might be a good idea to lower your calories alittle more than what MFP suggests (don't go below 1200). Get your BMR and only add a couple 100 extra calories instead of the extra 500 mfp usually adds.

Start from there and see how you feel and if you are losing weight. Also when you're 25 lbs or closer, most people suggest switching to losing 0.5 lbs a week. It is to help keep muscle mass and make it easier for the body to adjust.

Talk to a doctor before going on a weight loss diet.