Staying Safe from Creepers?

Options
124»

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    The pepper spray and gun are only for if things escalate into an actual attack.

What I find interesting in these debates is that whilst I'd agree that escalating to weapon use is at the far end of the scale, it always appears very quickly in the thread. Even an incapacitant is quite far along.

Being at the wrong end of a two way range isn't funny, but a great many people seem to see it as a default option.

Mind you, these threads exist mainly for the entertainment value. At least until they get locked.

Of course it does. It's likely (but not always) the best defense in the worst case scenario. So from that standard, it kind of is the default. Make sure OP is best prepared for the worst case. Then give suggestions to avoid getting into that scenario.

Given that the training for CC emphasizes this, as does training for OC in my state, and it should be common knowledge anyway, I generally assume that a suggestion to carry comes with an implicit "do everything you can to avoid getting into a situation where you need a gun" and "don't draw unless there's no other option".
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Seriously? Someone flag'd this post? Are you kidding me? Someone needs to crawl back into their safespace and hug their blank'y a little tighter....

bdhbvn2uh4hn.png
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I generally assume that a suggestion to carry comes with an implicit "do everything you can to avoid getting into a situation where you need a gun" and "don't draw unless there's no other option".

As assumptions go, I think you're being pretty generous.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Anyway, what are ways that I can mix it up a bit that maybe I haven't thought about yet?

So the specific situation sounds a bit odd to me, but if you feel unsafe there are some pretty basic things that are worth looking at.

First off is understanding the threat. Notwithstanding what you're saying about the area, what are the crime stats saying? From a general law enforcement perspective are you in an area where the threat is robbery or violence? With drug crime around then the stats, in the UK, would suggest that robbery would tend to be predominant. People are aiming to fund their consumption rather than anything else.

Would what you describe be potentially someone valuing the vehicle? Clumsy doing it before you're out of sight, but that's a question of someone elses risk assessment.

One of the most basic self protection mechanisms is space management. Keep a safe distance between yourself and where a threat might come from, or if you have a potential threat in sight ensure that you have transit routes in a safe direction. Basic situational awareness is the basis of any self protection planning. If you can do then keep some form of barrier between you and the threat, anything that slows them down and gives you the opportunity to clear the area. It doesn't take long until it's just not worth chasing you.

If you're in a situation where you're not satisfied that you can safely exit the situation then what are the various triggers for you to defend yourself? At what point are you in a situation where you can reasonably defend yourself and to what extent? Around here stepping into a punch would constitute assault, potentially occasioning actual bodily harm.

As you have an incapacitant spray then you shouldn't get into a position where a punch is an option, but again what's the threshold where you have defensible use? Equally are you confident that you haven't just brought a tool that an attacker can use against you?

You're in a different position with ad-hoc tools, but again are you confident that youhave the presence of mind to use them effectively, and not just hand it to an attacker?

Realistically my first option is always to talk it down, that gives space to think and position physically to exit.
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Lisa_Ookoo wrote: »
    I'm sticking with pepper spray. I would hesitate to shoot somebody with a gun just because they were acting creepy.

*blink*

But you're OK with spraying them with pepper spray for acting creepy?

I have my CCL and carry pepper spray (gun not allowed at work), and I would never consider so much as spraying someone unless I legitimately believed they were assaulting me or someone else. Creepy, but non-aggressive behaviour gets an assessment of how best to avoid the person, a weapons check just in case, and nothing else.

There is a "grey zone" between someone acting creepy (like following me, touching me, or making sexual comments) and an actual attack. If I felt threatened and there was no other option to get away from them, yes I would consider using the pepper spray.

I've been in a situation where I was waiting on a subway platform and a man walked by and slapped my butt. There were no other people around. If I'd had pepper spray I would have used it, but I would not have pulled a gun and shot him.

• glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Guns are not the answer. Geez. you guys are crazy if you think they are
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    BinaryFu wrote: »
    When you get out of your car or go to your car, keep your keys in your hand, one key between each pair of fingers (3 keys sticking out when you make a fist) and if someone comes at you, go for the throat. One punch, walk away. They won't be following.00hrzvlttla7.jpg

I do not recommend doing this. Here's why. When you go to attack/punch your attacker those keys are going to go rearward into your hand and will do you as much damage as you do them. Plus the webbings of your fingers are very tender. If you do not strike 100% forward and you push those keys into your webbings you're going go do more damage to yourself than you do them. If you're looking something like that get brass knuckles, or a Brutus keychain....

This.
    Not to mention that you are unable to maintain good control of the keys holding them in that position. They will twist and turn more than expected because the sides of your fingers are incapable of properly gripping the keys.
    If keys are your only means of self defense, you're better off holding the biggest key as though you're going to unlock a door and stabbing it into the attacker's eyes, neck, kidneys...

This is what is actually taught in an actual self defense class (the keys between fingers is one of those urban myth things that gets perpetuated). Then you learn moves and hitting various targets. Then you fight off padded police officers.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

Not crazy. Just well prepared
  • fuzzydogpa
    fuzzydogpa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I took four years of Tae Kwon Do and I would be breaking legs, an arm and maybe a collar bone in about 3 moves and then I am making a run for it. They can't chase me with broken legs.
  • bigbuffbarry
    bigbuffbarry Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Did you ask him what he was doing? Maybe you ran over a pokemon
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Did you ask him what he was doing? Maybe you ran over a pokemon

Good point. They need to integrate this into the self defense steps. Find out if there is a pokemon.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Basic self defense moves are about as useful as karate was in 6th grade. Either take the training seriously and commit, or learn to dial 911 quickly. The same goes for CCP. If you're not putting rounds down range regularly and training under stress, then it's probably best to just not pull. It's just my opinion, but there are way to many yahoos out there giving responsible gun owners a bad rep. I'm frankly on the fence myself as to whether I apply for a new one or not. It's not something I take lightly.

Keep in mind this thread was started as a result of someone taking a photo of a license plate and walking away. I'd say this whole thing is a bit of an overreaction to put it mildly. If I wasn't from the US my eyebrows would go up too. They would anyway, but I'm accustomed to these message boards.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    She didn't do anything to hurt him and he didn't do anything to hurt her, so no harm done on either end. That's good. Still no harm in being prepared, or working on not being worried. I successfully got away twice from fighting back. Some people are just good at fighting. I'm a dancer, so that definitely helps me. I was trained in self defense and they asked me if I wanted to become a teacher.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

What I find interesting in these debates is that whilst I'd agree that escalating to weapon use is at the far end of the scale, it always appears very quickly in the thread. Even an incapacitant is quite far along.

Being at the wrong end of a two way range isn't funny, but a great many people seem to see it as a default option.

Mind you, these threads exist mainly for the entertainment value. At least until they get locked.

You seem to be confusing "have a weapon with you in case you need to defend yourself" with "shoot him! Shoot him now!!!"
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

The answer to what question?

How to settle a disagreement about football teams? No, guns are not the answer.

How to stop a rapist when he attacks you? Guns are a fantastic answer.