Simple and easy lunch

Options
I'm working with smoothies to get a handle on breakfast. Dinner is pretty simple, fish or chicken and some steamed veggie mixes. Lunch has be stubbing my foot a bit. I want something easy, like a sandwich. But with deli meat being sky high in sodium need some alternatives. I could make extra fish and chicken just afraid of getting burned out. Ideas of something I can throw together in just a few minutes at home? Now taking food to work is a thread for another day.

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Dinner leftovers. I make a pot of soup once a week and I have leftovers for lunches.
    Sandwiches- egg salad, bbq chicken, nut butters, hummus, tuna
    Wraps with black beans, vegetables, meats
    Bean burrito
    Pizza made on a tortilla, pita bread or naan
    Pasta
    Hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs
    Salad
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    sandwich.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I usually go for leftovers (having leftover pork loin stewed with sweet potatoes, turnips, carrots and onions today). But honestly if all you ever have for dinner is fish/chicken and steamed vegetables I can see how you might get burned out on that rather quickly.

If you like a sandwich why not take a sandwich or sandwich wrap? Personally I prefer wraps because I can add more ingredients without making a huge mess.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I cook and freeze so I can grab my meals for lunch. For example, this weekend I made two kinds of chili, a cauliflower chowder, and a vegetable "lasagna" all frozen in portions. Last week I made dirty cauliflower rice with turkey kielbasa, a stir fry, and tikka masala.

When I want to leave in the morning, I just grab one container and go.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm working with smoothies to get a handle on breakfast. Dinner is pretty simple, fish or chicken and some steamed veggie mixes. Lunch has be stubbing my foot a bit. I want something easy, like a sandwich. But with deli meat being sky high in sodium need some alternatives. I could make extra fish and chicken just afraid of getting burned out. Ideas of something I can throw together in just a few minutes at home? Now taking food to work is a thread for another day.

Egg salad, chicken salad, tuna salad, although canned tuna is likely higher sodium. I like using wheat bread, wraps, pita's etc......just to mix things up.

Boar's Head lunch meats are lower sodium....not sure if they are low enough for you.

What about a large green salad with grilled chicken strips. So many ways to change that up. I grill a bunch of chicken & store individual portions in zip-lock bags.
  • boomhower1820
    boomhower1820 Posts: 86 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm not over concerned with sodium, I don't have heart issues but just want to keep it within reason. I'll look around again but none of my local groceries carried Bores Head.

I typically cook for one as my family doesn't eat what I do so there are not any leftovers. Wraps are an easy and preferably way to go. Wrap, a yogurt, handful of nuts. Over and done with. Just need to keep some fresh ideas in my head so I don't get bored.