Do you make mistakes at work?

Options
littlechiaseed
littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
I know everyone does but it's just irritating that you hear about those couple of times you messed up and not those 1000 you didn't. Guess I'm just down about it even though I shouldn't be. Lots of people at work make more mistakes than me. How do you deal? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Replies

• rebel_26
    rebel_26 Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    I was a mistake and I think many others here were also so Yes we have lots of mistakes at my work!

On a serious note if you learned from it and don't repeat same mistakes than its a win win. It can only bother you if you allow it to do so.
  • mdonsbach
    mdonsbach Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've always been the first to admit that I screwed up. That typically throws them for a loop because they are so use to getting the excuse run around.

Granted I'm paranoid and I'll make darn sure I don't do it again. I'll go from one extreme to the other just to be safe.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    YEP. And once almost bad enough to lose my job. Honestly, don't expect praise for the things you're doing right, because that's what you're supposed to do, that's what they're paying you to do. But also, don't take feedback personally. If your boss is pointing out your mistakes, it's a good thing, because he wants you to improve. It's when you make mistakes and no one cares that you should worry about, cause you're about to get fired.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    All of the time.

It should bother me more than it does.

... but it doesn't. *shrug
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i've messed up plenty of times, but just correct it and move on. the closest i have ever come to being fired was for not putting email recipients in the bcc column instead of the cc column. after 6 years in my job, that's what was going to show me the door.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    @jessiferrrb that's quite harsh! Where's the loyalty?

i thought so too!! just now a co-worker came into my office to tell me how she got reamed out for forgetting to bring tea to a meeting that said "coffee, juices and tea" on the agenda. i feel like my work place priorities here may be a little skewed. lol
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    You can get a raise by reminding your boss what you do right (sometimes) and how you add value above what your job position is.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    “Dodging and burning are steps to take care of mistakes God made in establishing tonal relationships.” – Ansel Adams
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I guess I feel so anxious about it since when I first started I made a lot of mistakes. I came from a similar job so I think everyone thought that it was exactly the same but there was def a learning curve for me and my trainer even messed up sometimes. So I was told to just ask for help because that's easier than fixing it later. So I have been and it's been okay. I still mess up here and there once in awhile like forgetting to check a box or making a grammar mistake in a form for patients. I just say I'll be more careful but I mean, I can't say it won't happen again. I'm human, but still it's hard to overcome from having that rocky beginning
  • Vickilick
    Vickilick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't make a lot of mistakes in my job, but I do annoy myself when I do them. Don't take them personally as the other posters have said, any mistakes should be viewed as constructive criticism.
    But, there is nothing more frustrating then when you do something wrong....aghhhh!
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. The important thing is to recognize the mistake and be accountable. You'll gain more trust and sometimes it shows an attempt to take on new challenges. Unless you're getting yelled at 10 times a day for mistakes I wouldn't worry about it.
  • BoosDimples
    BoosDimples Posts: 2,826 Member
    Options
    I make mistakes. My colleagues make mistakes. My boss makes mistakes. Admit it, fix it (or at least, learn from it) and move on.

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I know everyone does but it's just irritating that you hear about those couple of times you messed up and not those 1000 you didn't. Guess I'm just down about it even though I shouldn't be. Lots of people at work make more mistakes than me. How do you deal? Maybe I'm just crazy.

Oh goodness. I know how you feel and have felt this way myself many times. I had a boss in the past who would always notice my mistakes but never acknowledge the excellent work that I did 99% of the time. It is very, very frustrating. I'm sorry.
  • forestgypsy314
    forestgypsy314 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I just want to reach out to you and say that I am feeling this exactly right now girl. I was called into my boss' office twice today because I keep screwing up. I am having such a hard time with it. I'm searching for a new job because I was also accused of things at work that weren't true and I proved it but it makes me so uncomfortable now. You aren't alone. Sending positive thoughts your way.
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hey guys, I would like to give some advice. I know that once you start making mistakes and the boss gets mad? It can lead to more mistakes due to anxiety. Doing these scary uncomfortable things? Will actually gain you some much needed respect and lower that anxiety. But, you have to face your fears. And I do have some info on the annoyance of the 99% perfect work and that one mistake. Why are you yelling boss??

First off always admit to your mistake because the only person it's going to come back to is you. So own it.

Second, if you catch it right away. Try to fix it right away. Then admit you made a mistake, but say you've fixed it and it's been taken care of. Watch what happens...

Lastly, if you get called out from the boss. Stay cool. You've got this. Again. Own your mistakes. If you can't fix it, ask for help right away. So that 1) you will learn how to fix what was wrong and 2) no more time is wasted. You need to learn from your mistakes. Period.

Understand that asking for help may seem intimidating, (mad boss I get it) but when we make mistakes, that's when we learn and grow the most at work. Show your boss or team member you would like to learn how to fix this problem. Can you trouble shoot with them so you don't make this mistake again in the future? (Bring a notepad).

If the boss or team member tries to get you to leave, say I have some ideas on how to fix this...are any of these correct? Show you tried. Make the boss or team member teach you!

For those who have bosses that never acknowledge your 99% perfect work? It's because unless you make a mistake, you won't grow. They're pushing you harder because they know you have the potential to be more successful, but how can they push you to the next level if you're too perfect? It makes no sense but it can backfire.

Same reason why Becky who does nothing all day gets promoted and you don't. Not fair, but she's showing the ability to be molded and learn. You're not. In our minds we think being perfect is good? Not always, and your boss might be telling you that. Take assessment of your other co-workers and see who gets promoted. If it's the lazy one? You know what to do. Prove you can learn and be molded.

PS: Unless you're working for the CEO. Your boss gets yelled at. Then you get yelled at. It falls down. So don't take them seriously. Keep telling yourself, they must of messed up baaaaaad. Ooooooooooh. They're in troubleeeeeee!!! Now I apparently am for no reason!
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I don't make mistakes. I'm pretty much perfect. B)

*bwaaahhha*