Tricks to Succeed?

Options
232good
232good Posts: 92 Member
Hey everyone,
I've been eating the same foods for about two weeks now. Yogurt, eggs, fruits, chicken, salad.
I am badly craving something fatty and any suggestions?! I sometimes eat a square of dark chocolate to help get by the craving. Yummy healthy meal ideas that are nutrient dense and 300-400 calories?! Thank you!!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It's hard to make a suggestion without knowing what you like. Something fatty I like to have is kielbasa and brussel sprouts sautéed together. There are many other things but that sprung to mind when I read your post.

Eat whatever you like, just don't overeat. At least not often.
  • 232good
    Options
    I am having a hard time eating without feeling hungry about 30 minutes later, and this hasn't happened until recently! I'm wondering if I need to up my calories...
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What are your calories set at now? Height, weight and goal weight? What type of fitness do you do?
  • 232good
    Options
    I'm set at 1200 calories. I'm 5'2" and 127 currently. First goal is 118 then hopefully 110 ultimately because I know that's a good weight for me although it's not all about that scale. I workout about 4 times a week and varies. Usually at least 3 gym sessions like today will be an hour step/cardio class and the others are similar. I guess at how many calories I burn in those.. Somewhere around 300 or so is my guess. I don't usually eat back those calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I'd suggest eating back a few of your exercise calories. Also, you might want to look at the content of your food. Fiber, fat and protein can help with filling full on a calorie deficit.
  • 232good
    Options
    Thank you. I will definitely look at eating back the calories. I'm so nervous to gain weight that I just haven't tried it. Because I'm sedentary all day :neutral:
    I really want to get to that first goal in 6 weeks or less! That's less than 2lb per week. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Eat some cheese, or peanut butter?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, just less of it. If you want chocolate, account for it in your calories.
  • 232good
    Options
    So it doesn't matter what food it is necessarily? Just as long as my calories stay where they need to be? This is all science lol. I think I need a good scale too!
  • 232good
    Options
    Oops. I meant *food scale**
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    suggestion?

1. eat the foods you know and love in the portions necessary for your calorie goal.
    2. don't cut out any food group which you can't maintain for life.
    3. make small changes or substitutions over time.

The key factor to success is being able to enjoy and eat this diet FOREVER. If you haven't learned these skills, you will start to feel deprived and you will eventually start binge eating, re-gaining anything lost, or giving up completely. Learn the daily habits needed to eat in an enjoyable manner, and you'll be able to see success and actually keep it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    232good wrote: »
    So it doesn't matter what food it is necessarily? Just as long as my calories stay where they need to be? This is all science lol. I think I need a good scale too!

yep, that's the way it works.

calories are energy. your body uses energy. provide it less energy and it will be forced to use it's stores. provide it the same amount of energy it needs each day and it will maintain. provide it more energy than it's using and it will store that energy (body fat) for later use.

This is regardless of the foods you eat or what macronutrient (carbs, proteins, and fats) they came from.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That is more or less true. It does make a difference what you eat for health, of course. Eating too little protein can cause you to lose more muscle mass as you lose fat than if you ate an adequate amount. Satiety is important and certain foods can help with that.

But calories are king when it comes to weight loss. All the rest has more to do with fitness and wellness and pleasure as you lose.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    You should have some dark chocolate. Maybe a square or 2. Also, what everyone else said. :)
  • 232good
    Options
    Oh you guys helped a ton! Thank you!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm set at 1200 calories. I'm 5'2" and 127 currently. First goal is 118 then hopefully 110 ultimately because I know that's a good weight for me although it's not all about that scale. I workout about 4 times a week and varies. Usually at least 3 gym sessions like today will be an hour step/cardio class and the others are similar. I guess at how many calories I burn in those.. Somewhere around 300 or so is my guess. I don't usually eat back those calories.
    Thank you. I will definitely look at eating back the calories. I'm so nervous to gain weight that I just haven't tried it. Because I'm sedentary all day :neutral:
    I really want to get to that first goal in 6 weeks or less! That's less than 2lb per week. :)

With so little to lose, 2 pounds or even 1.5 pounds per week over the long term is more than a bit unrealistic. Not only that, with a large deficit and only cardio, you're setting yourself up for muscle loss which will make it both harder to maintain your goal weight and to lose the weight again once you regain some of it.

That large deficit is why you're always hungry, as I think you're now aware. Our bodies know how to get our attention when we're doing the wrong things.

I'd highly suggest adjusting your expectations and possibly adding some strength training. For many of us those last few vanity pounds are more about being firmer than actually weighing less. Retaining more of your current muscle will help you to be firmer as you lose the fat and you may find, as I have, that a higher weight and lower body fat percentage is actually the right goal.

• 232good
    Options
    Thank you! I do actually do some strength and weights so I've noticed my body changing. The loss has slowed down but my hunger has gone up, so I suppose I should just not be afraid to eat, and keep at it.. And hope the weight continues to come off over time along with toning. This is a new lifestyle for me! =)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Def get a food scale. Maybe you're not eating as much as you think you are, so it's good to check.
  • 232good
    Options
    Yeah I always guess with oz and whatnot, I really don't know!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    donuts