First time bulker

Options
Hi everyone. I'm 38 139lbs and 5'6" looking to bulk for the first time. My goal at this point is less about the look and more about adding strength and size. I'll take all the help I can get and lend all of the motivation I can.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat big, lift big. Profit.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Eat at TDEE levels to maintain weight (google to get a TDEE estimate).

Slow bulk = TDEE+250 calories a day = +0.5lbs per week = +2lbs per month. Slower gains but less fat gained. Good for intermediates/advanced, or average guys looking to bulk before their first cut.

Regular bulk = TDEE+500 calories a day = +1lbs per week = +4lbs per month. Good for skinny novices, can make great size and strength gains but once you get to 15% bodyfat, go on a slow bulk (unless you are in a strength sport like football) or start cutting.

Of course I highly recommend you are lifting during this time, so that you gain mostly muscle with minimal fat. Programs like SL, SS, ICF 5x5 are all great.

You have to count calories for this to work. Get a digital scale, a myfitnesspal account, and be consistent. Consistency >>> intensity. It's a marathon not a sprint.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I slow way down with how active I'm am when bulking. You always need to be in a surplus so try to burn as few calories as you can ;)