Low carb weight loss by the end of the year

Options

Replies

• jbandsb2
    jbandsb2 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    pendennis wrote: »
    The menu tonight is stuffed peppers with ground lamb and beef with cheese and low sugar tomato sauce.

Tomorrow is marinated flank steak.

What are some dinner favorites from the group?

For me and the family it is Keto friendly buffalo chicken strips for sure. Another one is curry rubbed chicken thighs. I also liked to make taco stuffed bell peppers. I found some great recipes for zucchini boats on pinterest but have not tried them out yet!
  • Magic18
    Magic18 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    jbandsb2 wrote: »
    pendennis wrote: »
    The menu tonight is stuffed peppers with ground lamb and beef with cheese and low sugar tomato sauce.

Tomorrow is marinated flank steak.

What are some dinner favorites from the group?

For me and the family it is Keto friendly buffalo chicken strips for sure. Another one is curry rubbed chicken thighs. I also liked to make taco stuffed bell peppers. I found some great recipes for zucchini boats on pinterest but have not tried them out yet!

I love doing wings, the perfect Keto meal with some blue cheese and I love a little spice :)

• Magic18
    Options
    At this point I have accepted the request to everyone who has emailed me. I am extending through the weekend since a couple people seemed to have trouble.

You have two ways to get it. By tomorrow morning send me an acceptable email here and I will add it and if that does not work I will send a link which should allow for edits. If after both of those you still cannot get in and you want to be part of the group what we will do is each Friday you can message me your diary clearly listed 1-5 as is on the first page and I can enter it for you, where you should still have access to see your info and others, but this should be last resort, one of the first two should work.

I am giving you one of my junk mails and rather than messaging me here since it doesn't seem to always work email me here your address for the google doc: janddolphins@aol.com

Hopefully emailing me will work better. I never give up on someone who wants to join as that determination is a quality that I want in my group and we got others up today and I am sure by the end of the weekend everyone who wants to be added will
  • Magic18
    Options
    In the meantime I added a food section. It should be self explanatory but you can start adding foods that a zero calories, 1-5, and 6-10 so we have some good low carb ideas, and there is a code to put at the end of it if it is a snack, breakfast, lunch, dinner, or if it's multiple meals, you can put all the letters that apply). With everyone I think we can create quite a list so we don't get boring eating and especially when we have no or few carbs left for the day, we will have something to turn to :)
  • Magic18
    Options
    I think at this point all who have committed have found there way to the excel sheet, but if you have not, this is the last chance. The last link I gave was accidentally a view only link. This link will allow you to edit as well.

_______________________LINK BELOW_______________________

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FLUuymeb0L3DxT_tsSJ-9vXO7MYONKlCzmFjTAjcf40/edit?usp=sharing

Please fill out for week 3. If I do not see week 3 filled or have received contact from you by Sunday night I will remove your name from the list and at this point you will be removed from this challenge.

I love the question Dasher asked in the main thread this week so feel free to give an answer.

This week, along with answering, feel free to go to the second sheet and try to enter 2-3 foods under each of the 3 carb catergories so we can begin to have a food list to refer to. I look forward to see who is here come Sunday and officially having our group that will last until the end of December :) Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    yeah! Down a lb. It will probably be up again by weigh in but I can hope.

To those missing pizza, do try fat head pizza. You can google it. Easy to make and my husband and I really enjoy it. I would serve to guests. Off my list at the moment because of this low fat nonsense from the doctor but I am finding a way to eat low fat and lower carbs, just not keto levels.

I do drink wine. A glass of red wine is recommended for us oldies as being good for your heart but I do avoid the sweet whites. I drink only the dry whites. It slows me down eating and I remember to enjoy my meal as an occasion rather than just refueling. I only have one glass as a rule and I don't do it more than once or twice a week. We don't eat out often (the restaurant is my golf club restaurant so not a chain) so dinners at home are celebrations if we have a roast. Last night was roast chicken, roasted butternut squash, green beans and salad. My husband eating keto added gravy and skipped the squash. I skipped the skin and the gravy. It works for both of us.

I don't tend to snack a lot. But the area of snacks I am struggling with is before dinner treats for occasions with guests. I am working on antipastos like different stuffed olives, pickled veggies, tapinades, smoked fish etc and for crackers, cucumber rounds. That way I avoid eating cheese which always stalls the weight loss, or too many nuts, ditto. I am currently looking for tasty recipes with beans to up my fiber (I don't like beans a great deal but with good flavours, I figure I can try to eat more) and they are cheap too. I know beans are higher carb than some what to eat but they are high fiber too so that offsets in my book.
  • jbandsb2
    Options

To those missing pizza, do try fat head pizza. You can google it. Easy to make and my husband and I really enjoy it. I would serve to guests. Off my list at the moment because of this low fat nonsense from the doctor but I am finding a way to eat low fat and lower carbs, just not keto levels.

I do drink wine. A glass of red wine is recommended for us oldies as being good for your heart but I do avoid the sweet whites. I drink only the dry whites. It slows me down eating and I remember to enjoy my meal as an occasion rather than just refueling. I only have one glass as a rule and I don't do it more than once or twice a week. We don't eat out often (the restaurant is my golf club restaurant so not a chain) so dinners at home are celebrations if we have a roast. Last night was roast chicken, roasted butternut squash, green beans and salad. My husband eating keto added gravy and skipped the squash. I skipped the skin and the gravy. It works for both of us.

I don't tend to snack a lot. But the area of snacks I am struggling with is before dinner treats for occasions with guests. I am working on antipastos like different stuffed olives, pickled veggies, tapinades, smoked fish etc and for crackers, cucumber rounds. That way I avoid eating cheese which always stalls the weight loss, or too many nuts, ditto. I am currently looking for tasty recipes with beans to up my fiber (I don't like beans a great deal but with good flavors, I figure I can try to eat more) and they are cheap too. I know beans are higher carb than some what to eat but they are high fiber too so that offsets in my book.

I just tried the fat head pizza last night. As a family we always have a pizza and movie night each week. Since i started Keto I have missed out on the pizza thing and a no crust pizza did not sound good to me. I came across the fat head pizza crust and decided to try it and loved it.

I like your ideas for snacks. I eat olives for part of my lunch during the week at work but did not think of stuffed olives. Will need to try that. I will also have to look into the pickled veggies. I am not a veggie person and so to get my fiber in I use a supplement.

I tend to stay away from the beans myself most of the time but I do like them. A great recipe with beans is a Chicken Chili. I have a great recipe that I during the fall/winter. I make it once for a work potluck and it has now become a yearly tradition. If I don't bring it in, I get harassed! If you would like the recipe, let me know. I do not know the nutritional info though.......

Magic18: for sheet 2 : is the carb count net carbs?
  • Uniquelynuts
    Uniquelynuts Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im in !
  • Magic18
    Options
    Im in !

Congrats for getting in the final day. Make sure you are on the excel sheet. If you need help making a spot for you just send me a pm and I'll set you up your own spot for tracking :smile:

Welcome and I hope you enjoy our little (although grown so not so little a anymore) group! We track every Friday and the goal is to be open, friendly, and help each other. Drama won't be tolerated, and hopefully by December you made some new friends along the journey :)
  • Magic18
    Options
    jbandsb2 wrote: »

I don't tend to snack a lot. But the area of snacks I am struggling with is before dinner treats for occasions with guests. I am working on antipastos like different stuffed olives, pickled veggies, tapinades, smoked fish etc and for crackers, cucumber rounds. That way I avoid eating cheese which always stalls the weight loss, or too many nuts, ditto. I am currently looking for tasty recipes with beans to up my fiber (I don't like beans a great deal but with good flavors, I figure I can try to eat more) and they are cheap too. I know beans are higher carb than some what to eat but they are high fiber too so that offsets in my book.

I just tried the fat head pizza last night. As a family we always have a pizza and movie night each week. Since i started Keto I have missed out on the pizza thing and a no crust pizza did not sound good to me. I came across the fat head pizza crust and decided to try it and loved it.

I like your ideas for snacks. I eat olives for part of my lunch during the week at work but did not think of stuffed olives. Will need to try that. I will also have to look into the pickled veggies. I am not a veggie person and so to get my fiber in I use a supplement.

I tend to stay away from the beans myself most of the time but I do like them. A great recipe with beans is a Chicken Chili. I have a great recipe that I during the fall/winter. I make it once for a work potluck and it has now become a yearly tradition. If I don't bring it in, I get harassed! If you would like the recipe, let me know. I do not know the nutritional info though.......

Magic18: for sheet 2 : is the carb count net carbs?

carbs will be different for different people so good question. I'll clarify it on sheet but to be safe let's count it how you track and in parentheses put it the other way as well. However it will go in the number for how you track.

As for the pizzas, I don't know those, but being gluten free, I've tried all sorts. I recommend cauliflower crust pizza. You are getting your good carbs in and it tastes good as long as you like cauliflower. I would plan it for your veggie carbs for the day though
  • dasher602014
    Options
    @magic18 fathead pizza is gluten free (I am one of those too :( ). I found it tasted better than most and was easier to make than the cauliflower ones.

and, yes, @jbandsb2 I would like your chicken chili. No hurry but it sounds like it would meet my requirements at the moment. And it sounds really good! I could figure out the nutritional info by putting the recipe into mfp.

I have been counting net carbs on the spreadsheet because my total carbs are up there at the moment, compared to some.
  • jbandsb2
    Options
    I will have to try the cauliflower pizza crust the next time. That is one veggie I like when cooked.

I will pull my chicken chili recipe in the next couple of days and post it here in case anyone else wants to try it also.
  • Magic18
    Options
    Congrats guys we officially have our group! Entry is now closed! Just by the conversation here (which is what I would love to keep the forum for and why I created the excel sheet so our entries don't get lost in conversation) it seems like we are off to a great start of getting to know each other and share ideas. I really hope these next few months will be great and we can help each other through highs and lows and motivate each other to be the best each of us can be. Here is to a wonderful rest of the year!
  • chimesan
    chimesan Posts: 8 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Hi... Could I join in now? I am 36.. a mother of 2... I currently weigh 91kgs (201 lbs).. Looking forward to lose 28kgs (61lbs) to be at an optimum weight.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Boy am I a good friend. I have to go through almost 48 hour water only fast for a procedure at the hospital tomorrow.

What am I doing? Making cookies for my keto eating husband. And not even a spoon lick possible! Two of my favourite websites for recipes: ibreatheimhungry.com and ruled.me Good stuff on both all suitable for low carb or keto diets.
  • Magic18
    Options
    Boy am I a good friend. I have to go through almost 48 hour water only fast for a procedure at the hospital tomorrow.

What am I doing? Making cookies for my keto eating husband. And not even a spoon lick possible! Two of my favourite websites for recipes: ibreatheimhungry.com and ruled.me Good stuff on both all suitable for low carb or keto diets.

That is so sweet of you and best of luck with your procedure!
  • Magic18
    Options
    chimesan wrote: »
    Hi... Could I join in now? I am 36.. a mother of 2... I currently weigh 91kgs (201 lbs).. Looking forward to lose 28kgs (61lbs) to be at an optimum weight.

I closed membership last week but if the group does not mind I am okay with letting you in if you can scroll up a little and find the excel link that allows you to join for the weekly log ins (we log and use excel for various things so that the thread can be used for conversation and our weekly log ins Wong get lost). Then just add your name on the bottom and follow the format as everyone else and Friday will be your first week. It is week 4 for everyone else. Everyone gets 3 strikes to miss a week for something as we are going to the end of December. Not all sections are required to be filled, whichever you do, only the weight is mandatory. It is also encouraged to use comments and comment on others entries for motivation and support. Then here we can chat and get to know each other. Encouragement in conversation is also something I do because we will be together for a while and anyone can do this alone, but if you joined the challenge there was a reason and it was probably to have that sense of community and why not take advantage of the ability to talk to others who are going through what you are :)

I will say because we are getting into the groove of things, no more enteries after this! So congrats on being the final person in the group and I hope you enjoy it, it's been a great low key drama free place so far :)
  • Magic18
    Options
    Alright my turn to need a little support. As you all know I was in the hospital the other week. I've been having problems eating which has led to the dreaded ensures. I forgot how many carbs they have. I only need one a day to help supplement or a smoothie that my dad would make, which would have just as many carbs, but that is 30+ carbs added. I had medical carbs down to about 25 which I was happy with because I finally could get my net carbs to 50, and now I'm back up to close to 100 each day. Trying to hit 75 as my goal but I feel like the huge steroid push in the hospital my stomach came back and it caused those munchies. Hoping to slowly figure it out and get as low as possible but I'm basically on a liquid diet which doesn't mesh with low carb. Going to try my best to do berries and Greek yogurt for my smoothies so they are not too high in carbs. Any other ideas let me know. I've never done veggie smoothies and being dependent on my dad he won't make it for me (I just know him and he is going to do a Yogurt berry and want to put a banana for potassium in it) as that is how he sees a smoothie that gets my calcium and protein.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Well, I am back on track. But I have to be the only person that can go through a water fast (excluding the meds I had to take) for 2 days, and gain weight!

However, that is done and I got a clean bill of health so I am back to my own eating.

@Magic18 , sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. At least for awhile. If you need to be eating liquids, I would relax and go with the flow (sorry, about the pun) until you are better. Wondering if Glucerna is better than Ensure (don't know, just know they are diabetic version - maybe lower in sugars but I don't know) . Steroids make it very hard. just do the best you can, it is all we can do. Greek yogurt smoothie sound good as well as veggie smoothies. Maybe you can talk your Dad into half a banana in each instead of the whole thing. You do need potassium and calcium and protein.

I don't have a lot of ideas but I am going to do some research for you and see what I can come up with. Hang in there and get better. Have patience with your body.
  • dasher602014
    Options
    It appears that both slimfast and medifast claim to be balanced and low carb liquids. I haven't checked the nutritional data directly as to how they define low carb. Also, I don't think they taste all that good. They might work for both you and your Dad's requirements for you.