Starting a keto diet. Trying to keep a balanced diet. New to lo carb eating

Options
Hi,
At 275lbs, Ive decided to lose some weight and adopt healthier eating habits. I'm new to the lo carb approach, but I have been researching how the body reacts to restricted carbs and moderate protien and fat. Seems like a healthy way to lose weight. I'm trying to restrict my caloric intake from eating to about 800 calories a day. That is pretty severe for me considering I have generally lived off sweets and carbs. But even though restricting calories, I can agree that, surprisingly, my energy level has increased somewhat. Any tips, constructive comments, advice is welcome.
Thanks
James

Replies

• jumbaco21
    jumbaco21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm trying out keto for the 2nd time. In all honesty, the only reason I stopped was because i fell off the wagon a bit which then led to a lot. Lol. I'm back with a vengeance and ready to try it again with effort. Good luck to you!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Healthier eating habits does not equal 800 calories a day. Why not eat as much as you can but still be in a deficit? He who eats the most and still loses is the winner.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    800 cal per day is very low, not just for you, for anyone. That is the equivalent of skipping 2 full meals per day.

I don't keto, but from what I've read keto doesn't mean extremely low calorie. It means low carb. 800 cal on keto seems like you are trying to do both at once, and not really in a healthy way. My guess is that you'll be binge eating in no time with this approach.

Why not pick one? CICO works well for the majority OR Keto, which works well for people who like it.
  • Dreya1999
    Dreya1999 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I as well am new to the Keto lifestyle. 14 days in and I'm down 8.6 pounds. It has definitely been an adjustment. It's important to figure out your macros. For me I'm restricting my diet to 1900 calories a day, 20-25 carbs, 104g of protein and 154g of fat. With these macros I have been in a moderate ketosis for about 7 days now. Coming from someone that was addicted to sweets and carbs it was not easy to start. I had such an unhealthy view of food and how my body worked. Now that I'm back in the gym and fueling my body the right way, my new addiction is progress and never turning back. Best of luck to you! You got this!
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1000-1200 a day with 25-50 carbs per day. Breakfast lunch and dinner and any snacks are meat or cheese related. I personally do this bc I am Prediabetic.
    If you don't have health issues, you may want to start out by cutting back on intake and tracking. 800 calories is way to little for most people. What does MFP say you should be eating to lose successfully ? I would follow that to start with.
  • Kimnodom
    Kimnodom Posts: 2 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I was thinking Keto but I think I wanna try the Carb Cycling Diet.
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hey James, good for you for giving this a go. I would definitely advise you up your calorie intake though, as your body needs much more than 800 calories to function long term. Have you checked out the keto forums on Reddit? There are tons of great posts, and lots of information. At 275 pounds take advantage of the fact you can still afford a generous amount of calories and still lose a decent amount of weight as your Basal Metabolic Rate is automatically higher.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Problem with these *kitten* diets is they don't last forever. Most people regain all the weight.make healthy lifestyle changes. Get active. Eat a home cooked meal instead of fast food. Walk instead of sit around. Have an apple or some fruit or veggies instead of potato chips, drink water instead of coke or diet coke. Small changes with be slower fat loss but will be healthier and will keep weight off. Small changes u can live with and once u lose the weight u can slowy add calories and u will keep it off. Don't limit yourself have a cheat meal once in a while . Long term years is what u need to think not 3 months
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    JamesLR wrote: »
    Hi,
    At 275lbs, Ive decided to lose some weight and adopt healthier eating habits. I'm new to the lo carb approach, but I have been researching how the body reacts to restricted carbs and moderate protien and fat. Seems like a healthy way to lose weight. I'm trying to restrict my caloric intake from eating to about 800 calories a day. That is pretty severe for me considering I have generally lived off sweets and carbs. But even though restricting calories, I can agree that, surprisingly, my energy level has increased somewhat. Any tips, constructive comments, advice is welcome.
    Thanks
    James

James I started out at 250 pounds and based on my last two years of eating just under <50 grams of carbs to stay in nutritional ketosis I expect you may shorten your life if you continue to eat about 800 calories.

For 1.5 years I have maintained at 200 pounds eating about 2500 calories a day. If you can not lose inches and still eat 2000 calories daily keeping carbs just under 50 grams daily and protein under 90 grams daily I would be very surprised based on my experience. I was rushing towards death at the age of 63 in 2014 when I went off sugar and all forms of all grains for pain management.

LCHF Keto is NOT a low calorie way of eating in my personal experience. It is only a low carb and medium protein way of eating as I understand it that lets one burn mainly ketones instead of mainly glucose that comes from carbs and protein food sources.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In what way is 800 calories healthy OP?
  • sherrirollins4
    sherrirollins4 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm on Keto and I eat 1700 calories daily allowing for a 500 calories deficit of exercise (walking 3 miles). It works! Stick with it. 800 is just not healthy. Your body needs fuel. Please reconsider your count. :)