Losing weight with MFP

I was born without my lower left leg. Mostly foot and ankle, so I wear a prosthesis on that leg. Well, two years ago I slipped and broke my Femur in a Spiral Femur Fracture and when the doctor done my surgery to insert the rod in my leg he for whatever reason dislocated my patella and put it on the side of my leg and left it there. I then got a bone infection from the surgery, so for 16 months I stayed on antibiotics to keep the infection from getting out of control and fought with lack of range of motion in that leg. Every doctor in my town wanted to simply amputate above the break as it wasn't healing. After some research I told them it was no longer on the table. Finally they sent me to Loma Linda Hospital and I found a doc who was willing to "fix" the problem, so now I am trying to get so I can walk without the crutches again.

During that full 22 months, I gained 50 lbs. I had been staying pretty steady at 160-165 for years, but all of a suddenly now that I was no longer mobile the weight started shooting up. Recently I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism which could have contributed to the weight gain, but I also have Fibromyalgia/Chronic Fatigue Syndrom (FM/CFS) which along with the knee problem makes it difficult for me to be active. Three weeks ago on 8-7-16 my son who is into fitness, told me and not for the first time "Mom it's about tracking your food and calorie intake more than it is about the exercise. The best diet is the diet you can stick to, so If you can stick to eating the foods you like but logging your calories on everything you eat or drink, then you'll lose weight." So he set me up with MFP and I started tracking everything that went into my mouth. I am unable to exercise but will hopefully be able to start a pool exercise regimen in the next few months however, In that three weeks I've lost 8 Lbs, and 7 Inches so I'm excited about it. I think I will eventually be able to reach my goal within a six month period. That I'm okay with. Thank you MFP.

Replies

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Good luck - hope you will be in the pool soon. As someone with CFS I have found this really helpful - do you know about the 'graded excercise' you need to do. (No ambitious 'couch to 1 mile swim' for us CFS People! )