High stress

Options
2»

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Under the most stress I have ever faced right now at work. Something I am going to have to deal with for at least 6 more months and maybe 3 years. Can't quit and get a job that pays as well and I don't want to retire until 2019. So.....I walk. 4 to 5 miles a day. I head for my favorite trails with a couple cigars. By the time I am through, I've pushed everything down. Resurfaces the next day, but....go for another walk. When the weather is favorable I spend a lot of time working in my yard and garden.

What doesn't work is alcohol. Tried that for about a year. Drank myself to sleep, then woke up with a hangover and still had the same challenges. Avoid that prescription now.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Lately my work stress has been through the roof. Other than lifting (& a little cardio) I've started:
    -decluttering my house room by room through small projects
    -learning nail art. Not just painting my nails but this takes tremendous focus and thought. I found how-to videos on YouTube and now I'm hooked. I'm new to the whole doing my own nails thing but am getting better.

I also have an hour & 15 min commute so I roll the windows down and blare my music all the way home. I listen to everything from Slipknot to 50s. It helps wind me down and clear my head. I also listen to religious pod casts when I find myself getting too negative or dark. It's all about balance and not bringing it home for me!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Under the most stress I have ever faced right now at work. Something I am going to have to deal with for at least 6 more months and maybe 3 years. Can't quit and get a job that pays as well and I don't want to retire until 2019. So.....I walk. 4 to 5 miles a day. I head for my favorite trails with a couple cigars. By the time I am through, I've pushed everything down. Resurfaces the next day, but....go for another walk. When the weather is favorable I spend a lot of time working in my yard and garden.

What doesn't work is alcohol. Tried that for about a year. Drank myself to sleep, then woke up with a hangover and still had the same challenges. Avoid that prescription now.

I hear you. Alcohol just makes it worse. An occasional drink could be ok, but even one makes me very sick. My body just can't handle it. And seen too many family members health destroyed by it. It's easier to cope with stress when our bodies are healthy. Sorry you have that stress. Glad you found a way to deal with it.