Best vegan pizza recipes?

Options
LUHAN27
LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Preferably low calorie; I'm interested in vegan cheese: never tried it. However the pizza doesn't have to include cheese.

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to make a vegan dough [there's only 4-7 main ingredients depending on how you want to flavor it].

* 2 1/2 cups bread flour
    * 1 1/3 cups warm water
    * 2 Tbsp dry yeast
    * 2 Tbsp honey
    * Pizza Spice [mainly oregano, basil and optionally red pepper flakes, to add flavor]
    * 1 Tbsp minced garlic [add more or less to taste]

Combine the warm water, yeast and honey in a large container and let set for 5-8 minutes [the honey helps to quickly activate the yeast]. After letting it set, mix the yeast solution with the bread flour and mix well. It should become a slightly stretchy, non-sticky ball of dough [if it's still sticky, feel free to add very little amounts of bread flour, usually a tablespoon or two is enough]. Knead the dough for 5-8 minutes, folding in the pizza spices and garlic during the last few minutes. Divide in half and set each half in a large bowl, covering it with plastic wrap and letting proof for at least one hour [you can save the dough in the fridge for up to two days. Any longer and there's a risk that the dough will start to sour]. Once proofed, flatten into a crust shape, top with whatever ingredients you like and bake at 400 F for 18-20 minutes.

I've tried this recipe for both a pizza and bread sticks. The dough ends up crunchy on the outside, soft in the inside with a nice golden brown color. If you're not on a salt-restrictive diet, feel free to add 1 Tbsp salt to the dough for more flavor [it should make the dough easier to handle too].
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You can change out the honey for any kind of sugar and it should work fine.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Pizza isn't usually low calorie but there are recipes out there. I always liked making cheese-less pizzas and using BBQ sauce as the base and covering the whole pizza with vegetables. That way the vegetables create a "shield" for the sacue and bread and act alot like the cheese would if it was on.
  • LUHAN27
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! :)
  • LUHAN27
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Pizza isn't usually low calorie but there are recipes out there. I always liked making cheese-less pizzas and using BBQ sauce as the base and covering the whole pizza with vegetables. That way the vegetables create a "shield" for the sacue and bread and act alot like the cheese would if it was on.

Sounds like a good idea! I love barbecue sauce on pizza!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    You can use daiya for cheese as it's vegan, but I like tomato sauce, caramelized onions and sauteed garlic on my pizza if I am doing cheeseless.
  • Colorscheme
    Options

You don't need sugar or honey at all. I never add sugar to my breads. There's enough carbs in flour for the yeast to feed off of.
  • LUHAN27
    Options
    You can use daiya for cheese as it's vegan, but I like tomato sauce, caramelized onions and sauteed garlic on my pizza if I am doing cheeseless.

Sounds delicious! Have you tried chao vegan cheese? If so, do you prefer daiya or chao? I want to try both, I want the one tastes more like cheese? Lol
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    LUHAN27 wrote: »

Sounds delicious! Have you tried chao vegan cheese? If so, do you prefer daiya or chao? I want to try both, I want the one tastes more like cheese? Lol

Never tried Chao. I only see Daiya around and I like the way it melts, so I stick with that.
  • LUHAN27
    Options
    LUHAN27 wrote: »

Never tried Chao. I only see Daiya around and I like the way it melts, so I stick with that.

Thanks for the reply!
  • xvolution
    Options
    Honey isn't vegan @xvolution ....

You can substitute molasses for honey.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »
    Honey isn't vegan @xvolution ....

You can substitute molasses for honey.

Agave nectar would work really well too.
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    Options

You don't need sugar or honey at all. I never add sugar to my breads. There's enough carbs in flour for the yeast to feed off of.

You don't but I think it makes a difference in the taste of the end product. I use sprouted whole grain which can be a little bitter without some sweetener.
  • haileighmethven
    haileighmethven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like adding extra sauce to make up for no cheese, and add on the veggies!! Tomatoes, garlic, spinach, onions, roasted red peppers, bell peppers, zucchini, vegan pesto (try the pea pesto!), vegan meats like Tofurky sausage or Gardein meatless crumbs, cilantro and beans if you're after a mexican feel and go crazy on the seasonings!! Everyone seems to think vegan pizza = bread with tomato sauce but that's obviously not true. :)
  • xvolution
    Options

You don't but I think it makes a difference in the taste of the end product. I use sprouted whole grain which can be a little bitter without some sweetener.

The extra honey/molasses/sugar/etc also really kickstarts that dry yeast, allowing for faster proofing time than without.
  • Colorscheme
    edited September 2016
    Options

I use white whole wheat flour, doesn't seem to make a lick of difference.
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    xvolution wrote: »

The extra honey/molasses/sugar/etc also really kickstarts that dry yeast, allowing for faster proofing time than without.

It depends on what yeast you use. The platinum red star yeast works like magic and I get great results using it without any extra added sugar. It rises quicker than any other yeast I've tried, and it's not even the rapid rise stuff.