Possible to have gained 5lbs in 2 weeks?

Options
Hey everyone!

I went on vacation two weeks ago and weighed myself on the 16th using the hotels scale (the type at gyms) and today the 29th, I weighed myself again on my gyms scale.

16th Weight: 133lbs
29th Weight: 138lbs

I don't understand how it is possible I could have gained 5 pounds, especially when I continued to log my calories on vacation and was still under my weekly balance for calories by 600 & 900 calories for the last two weeks.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Probably just sodium. Drink water and relax.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Are these weights on two different scales? If so, the most likely answer is that one was calibrated differently or the conditions weren't quite the same. Two different scales often give two different weights even if you stepped off one and directly onto the other. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I've gained 8 pounds on a good vacation. Everything is different , we don't have as much control. I dropped 7 pounds the week I came home. My body didn't want the weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    No its not likely you have gained that much, give it a few weeks back eating normally and you'll find most of those will be gone.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yep, possible
  • Carriehelene
    Carriehelene Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Did you fly? For some reason, for me, if I fly I'll bloat like crazy. No I don't eat the salted nuts lol. I know another lady it happens to also.
  • Fitwarrior7_Round_2
    Fitwarrior7_Round_2 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    water weight = fluctuate
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    All of the above, plus factor in if you're close to TOM or not, as women tend to see an increase on the scale during that time every month, too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 pounds after a a three day weekend in July. It was combo of things, sodium, carbs, my TOM, more food in the gut/waste not eliminated (sorry tmi), I felt like a whale for 4 days.. It all worked it self back out after about 3 - 4 days.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I've gained 13lbs in the last two weeks it just happens sometimes, I had a coneference one week where we ate out and drank every night, and then this last week I went to visit some friends, and went to the NY state fair, and ate a lot of awesome fried things, so it happens. I have lost 7lbs of that in two days since I have been home because part of that is water weight from the increased sodium, the rest well we will see what happens. For you I would say if you have been watching what you eat it is most likely water weight, because you are probably eating out for every meal, and there is a ton of sodium when you do that.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't compare weights from two different scales, unless I was absolutely sure they were calibrated the same.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Just keep sodium low for the next 2 days and you drop a few pounds.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Hell - I've gained 5+ lbs of water weight in 2 days before. It nearly all went away in a couple of days.
  • MzKrystle
    MzKrystle Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I can gain 5lbs in just a few days!!
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. As the other posters said it's probably a combination of the salt and water retention and as a woman possibly hormonal issues.

I have access to calibrated scales at work and I weigh myself at different times that a day in my weight can fluctuate 2 to 3 maybe 4 pounds a day. Some of the things that affect it is bathroom habits what I had for lunch how much water I drink a whole bunch of different. That said I'm not compulsive as far as the weight it's more of a learning process to see how different situations affect my weight. I only weigh myself twice a week seriously Mondays and Fridays Fridays are the more accurate indicator number
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Considering my weight varies by like 8 pounds during the course of the day totally possible.

Chances are you had some salter foods and retained water to balance that out. No biggie, don't sweat it. If you really need to do something about it right now drink a lot of water.
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    water weight = fluctuate

Agree!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Actual weight - no. Water weight - yep. very easy.