Not American recipes, where's the best English ones??

Options
2»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how many of the UK people posting here weigh in kilos instead of stones? I've seen UK folks complain about the archaic American cups measurement system, but these same people are tracking their weight in stones. It makes me giggle.

As far as I know in the UK we've always weighed ourselves in stones & pounds.

That's the point. Archaic, just like our fondness for feet and yards and cups and pints.*

I still see no benefits of using cups for solids, though. ;-)

*Not suggesting people in the UK don't like a pint or two.

If it aint broke don't fix it. I don't see why we should change our way of using stones and pounds, grams, feet or everything else, just because Americans do it differently.

We got the measuring system from you.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how many of the UK people posting here weigh in kilos instead of stones? I've seen UK folks complain about the archaic American cups measurement system, but these same people are tracking their weight in stones. It makes me giggle.

That's the point. Archaic, just like our fondness for feet and yards and cups and pints.*

If it aint broke don't fix it. I don't see why we should change our way of using stones and pounds, grams, feet or everything else, just because Americans do it differently.

We got the measuring system from you.

George III's revenge.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    You could also buy some measuring cups online, they are pretty cheap and then you wouldn't have to even think about it.

Note: Cups are just an estimate and there are no "official" sizes, just generally agreed on sizes.

Cups aren't a random measurement... in Australia a cup (as used in recipes) is 250ml. This works perfectly well for things like flour, sugar, rice etc, I'm a pretty good cook and don't have any problem with recipes that have cup measurments.
    My understanding is that in the US a standard cup measure (for some odd reason, presumable a conversion from ounces) is 236ml, so if it's a recipe that needs precision (really only baking, I think, and even then I'm pretty loose with measurements, I do with what looks right to me) it would be worth paying attention to the source of the recipe.

But of course, I know that people tend to like what they are used to... stones don't mean much to me, while I do remember weighing myself in stones when I was about 10 (almost 40 years ago) that's just not a measurement that is used in Australia now. OP, I'm sure that if you find a recipe you like the look of, you can just google it and and you will find a version online that fits your criteria.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Great UK recipes. Isn't that an oxymoron?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

How on earth could you possibly be reading me to say that you should. Are you trying to argue?

We use all the older measurements (but for stones), for which we are often teased. (I am fond of all the old measurements but for oz, and cups for solids, because I am inconsistent.) The point that was made (not by me, but I thought it was funny in a non serious way), is that you do too, on some things, so let us have our feet and cups and pints (for liquids)!

No one was criticizing you for using stones and lbs. I'm certainly not going to start weighing myself in kg. Blech.

Weights (like the kind you lift) on the other hand can be in kg no problem.

Anyway, it's not Americans who do it differently -- we are really talking about conversion to metric. It's pretty much everyone BUT Americans who do it differently.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Nigella.com and http://www.bbcgoodfood.com

But if you use a site like www.allrecipes.com you can change the units of measurement to whatever you prefer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

How on earth could you possibly be reading me to say that you should. Are you trying to argue?

We use all the older measurements (but for stones), for which we are often teased. (I am fond of all the old measurements but for oz, and cups for solids, because I am inconsistent.) The point that was made (not by me, but I thought it was funny in a non serious way), is that you do too, on some things, so let us have our feet and cups and pints (for liquids)!

No one was criticizing you for using stones and lbs. I'm certainly not going to start weighing myself in kg. Blech.

Weights (like the kind you lift) on the other hand can be in kg no problem.

Anyway, it's not Americans who do it differently -- we are really talking about conversion to metric. It's pretty much everyone BUT Americans who do it differently.

Just for the record, Brits use feet and pints and miles too (but our pints are bigger, blame those killjoy puritans for shaving 4oz off a pint of beer). I have never met a Brit who knows their weight in kg or their height in cm. I would have no idea.

I knew you still used pints for beer, but thought you used liters (yes, litres, sigh) ;-) for everything else.

Did not know/remember you hadn't yet switched to metric for lengths/distances yet. This discussion was making me think we were the only major holdout. The special relationship can be reborn! (Joking around, in case this is not obvious.)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Guilty here, I weigh myself in stone and lbs and weigh food in kilos.

Me too. I weigh everything in the kitchen in grams and kilos, but I weigh myself in pounds (since moving to the US, I've given up on stones; it's just not a thing here). Oh, and I'm 5' 2" (can never remember what that is in cms).

And I run 5k and 10k races, but my half marathons are 13.1 miles. And my beer comes in pints.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    OP, you can buy the measuring cups you seek from the Joseph Joseph range. I have found them to be useful in these crazy cup recipes for both liquids and solids. My kitchen scales look on in horror but I think we should welcome our American friend's haphazard way of cooking. Throw caution to the wind. I got my Joseph Joseph set from John Lewis, they are available in house of fraser and Debenhams also. I think asda do some too though they do not come in rainbow colours and are therefore not worth thinking about.