This lifestyle change is difficult, but not for the reasons I expected

It feels "too easy". I expected losing and maintaining weight to be a daily struggle. Because that was what I had always heard. Instead, it's way less work and stress and worry than ever. It feels surreal but wonderful, I have a normal weight, I move every day, I'm pleasantly hungry before meals, and cravings are almost gone. I'm afraid I'm fooling myself. But shouldn't 22 months into maintenance be enough to know if it's working? I know I have to keep it working, but it doesn't even feel like "work". A little planning, a little awareness, that's all. I guess it's what "life" is supposed to feel like, but it feels like "nothing".

I have struggled with my weight since puberty - even when I wasn't overweight, I worried about getting overweight. I haven't done any really crazy diets, just the "normal-ish", slightly restrictive, slightly bizarre, 90's low-fat regimens, until I couldn't, and ate whatever. Then I found MFP and started to let go of everything I thought I knew about weight loss and nutrition.

I guess I don't know what a "normal" diet is? My current way of eating is simple, but feels extravagant. It's a lot like how I've always let myself eat on holiday: I'd eat to be able to do things, and eat food I wanted. At home, I've always strived to "eat healthily". I always lost weight while on holiday. I steadily gained when I was at home. All this has changed. Maintaining weight is effortless now.

I'm not doing anything particular, and that is exactly why this is so easy to do - and ironically, so difficult to take in: I'm eating the same foods as before, and I haven't added anything that I wouldn't have anyway in this time frame. I just eat more regularly of some things and less often or smaller portions of other things. I still eat foods I like and I eat whatever I want, but deciding what I "want" is now based on what I need and like, instead of what I "should" or "shouldn't". I don't exercise, but I walk, I guess I walk more often than before, but I'm mostly sitting, just like before.

This is possibly why I hate the term "lifestyle change", too; I haven't changed my lifestyle, I've just gotten a better structure to my shopping, cooking, eating, sleeping and moving routines. I couldn't have stuck to this for long if it were difficult, but "everybody" tells you behavior change is so difficult, and I guess I have changed my habits somewhat (I must have, to lose and keep off 50 pounds), so I'm confused.

Anyone else going/gone through something like this?

It may be relevant to mention that I have Asperger's syndrome, and (relating to) changes and unexpected events (big and small) is a bit more difficult for me than for the average person (maybe). I am also Norwegian, and the language skill level needed to discuss this properly in English, is perhaps slightly out of reach, so I apologize for anything unclear or seemingly strange.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I had a similar experience losing weight when I was younger...it felt easier than what I had been doing before (when I had been trying more extreme things to lose, which never worked). I like having data and accurate information, so once someone explained the parameters of CICO and IIFYM to me, I found it easy to manipulate the variables in order to keep myself on track. It was a relief being able to let go of all of the low fat/low carb/clean eating/VLCD/etc. garbage I used to think were necessary to achieve weight loss.

I don't personally like "lifestyle change" either. It, in itself, is extreme. It just feels too dramatic to describe what is basically pretty simple.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    So far, I'm finding it easier to maintain than I did losing.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I'm so excited to see this thread and the positive vibes on maintenance. Thanks, and great job everyone.
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Great post. I also found losing, and now maintaining my weight pretty easy. it IS a lifestyle change, but not in the way most people think. The changes I made were more mindful than that of a "lifestyle." Like the OP I continue to eat what I have always eaten.

The change is I have learned to moderate things. For example. It would not be odd for me to eat an entire bag of potato chips while watching TV. Today I rarely eat potato chips. Why? Because they aren't worth the calories most of the time. I still will occasionally have chips, but only if I WANT some, as opposed to mindless eating.

I still log my food every day. Some days when I get a bit exercise burn it amazes me how much I am allowed to eat and still be under my goals. I often come under goal, and then there are days I don't. I guess the change is in understanding weight maintenance is the sum of all calories over time and not a "good" or "bad" food, or day.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Weight loss was very easy for me this time. In fact, I lost too much. Maintenance freaked me out for about a month. I was so nervous about increasing my calories or losing control again. I knew that I had to change my mindset because I wasn't enjoying life or my new found body with this fear. What helped me most was when I began to get those uncontrollable cravings and gave in to them and ate way over maintenance, but I got back on track the next day. That gave me some assurance that I could eat over and bounce back. Thank goodness those cravings didn't happen often, and as they happened, I realized they correlated with hormonal changes that were currently occurring.

Since I am an abstainer, I do find that there are trigger foods that I just don't eat anymore. I am a big junk food junkie, but I abstain from my favorites because I absolutely cannot eat them in moderation.

Now, my challenge is to find the top end of my maintenance calorie allowance. I honestly think that I could eat more and maintain, but have been apprehensive about trying to get there. I'm enjoying the foods that I eat. I don't feel deprived, fatigued or any negative effects of my current calorie allowance, but I would like to eat a bit more if I can. Who wouldn't right? :)

So, I have found that maintenance may be a little harder for me than weight loss. I will say that I lost all my weight without MFP, but I am almost 100% certain that I couldn't maintain without MFP. It has been a life saver for me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    A little planning and awareness is actually pretty huge relative to how many people go through life.

Haha, I fear you are correct. The sad thing is that meal planning didn't even occur to me as something I could do - I believed it was only for families, maybe because I had never heard of singles who did it? And I was aware of how badly I ate, but I spent a lot of effort pretending I wasn't :/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    You say yourself that there are times when you were not overweight though... I'm not sure it's the case for all of us. I had a normal weight for maybe 5 years total between the ages of 16 and 34. I still struggle most days with the urge to eat a pack of cookies or go buy a piece of cheesecake or a croissant (which I just can't reasonably fit in most days).

So yes, it will be easier for some people than for others. But yeah... awareness is key. Asking yourself if you really want something before you actually eat it, trying to listen to your hunger/fullness signals... that's something that definitely can be easier after a while.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    JoeCWV wrote: »
    Great post. I also found losing, and now maintaining my weight pretty easy. it IS a lifestyle change, but not in the way most people think. The changes I made were more mindful than that of a "lifestyle." Like the OP I continue to eat what I have always eaten.

The change is I have learned to moderate things. For example. It would not be odd for me to eat an entire bag of potato chips while watching TV. Today I rarely eat potato chips. Why? Because they aren't worth the calories most of the time. I still will occasionally have chips, but only if I WANT some, as opposed to mindless eating.

I still log my food every day. Some days when I get a bit exercise burn it amazes me how much I am allowed to eat and still be under my goals. I often come under goal, and then there are days I don't. I guess the change is in understanding weight maintenance is the sum of all calories over time and not a "good" or "bad" food, or day.

I used to hate he term "mindfulness" too - until I discovered that it's what had been doing for the last few months :p

Overeating and mindless eating doesn't feel "normal" anymore. It's not like I have to "stop myself", it's just that I don't want to, because I want to enjoy what I'm eating, and paying attention and not feeling sick afterwards, is part of the enjoyment.

I'm also amazed at how much I can eat and maintain weight. I realize it has to do with food choices and only eating at meals, but still. I used to have big hauls to try to satisfy my "need" for junk food. It didn't seem like much once it was brought home. Now my shopping is two small bags of groceries per week and I cook/make almost all my meals myself :o
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    It feels "too easy". I expected losing and maintaining weight to be a daily struggle. Because that was what I had always heard. Instead, it's way less work and stress and worry than ever. It feels surreal but wonderful, I have a normal weight, I move every day, I'm pleasantly hungry before meals, and cravings are almost gone. I'm afraid I'm fooling myself. But shouldn't 22 months into maintenance be enough to know if it's working? I know I have to keep it working, but it doesn't even feel like "work". A little planning, a little awareness, that's all. I guess it's what "life" is supposed to feel like, but it feels like "nothing".

I am also Norwegian, and the language skill level needed to discuss this properly in English, is perhaps slightly out of reach, so I apologize for anything unclear or seemingly strange.

Part 1: I want what you have - sounds wonderful!
    Part 2: Your English is amazing... it's better than mine and I'm Anglophone...