High protein, low carb breakfasts

Options

Replies

• FooleryTim
    FooleryTim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to do this: http://www.strengthsensei.com/the-meat-and-nut-breakfast/

I'm starting it again this week.
  • daves05
    daves05 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have a can of tuna mixed with 2 servings of cottage cheese every morning I think it's like 50 grams of protein.
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Love my powdered peanut butter with my frozen banana and almond milk. Add in spinach and some chia seeds or flax for omega and such and it's a quick out the door drink. Looking to add a veggie powder from doTerra. Will have to report back on taste.

Love the sound of the banana, pb2 and almond milk! Would add the chia, maybe a bit of chocolate or cocoa nibs but not so much the spinach to that combo. LOL
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    @jopalis - Unless you really hate spinach, you might consider reconsidering. Raw baby spinach won't change the taste much but adds tons of good nutrition. But then, you might not want to listen to me because I drink spinach smoothies *all the time* :)
  • bc0678272
    bc0678272 Posts: 2 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I switch it up I make cloud bread. You can use them in SO many ways and they have almost no carbs. I have made sandwiches, pancakes with berries on top , and pizza with them.
  • racheltrotter
    racheltrotter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are yum
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    mypeep wrote: »
    Does anyone have ideas for high protein, lower carb breakfasts. The only thing we have time to prepare in the morning is oatmeal and an egg. Very boring! I need some recipes that are quick, easy and doesn't contain meat. Thank you.

My quick breakfast is most often a bowl of cereal - cold as in corn flakes, weetabix, cheerios with milk; not cooked hot cereal like oats. Looking back at my chart now I can see that's more carbs, less protein.

Eggs and cheese would be less carbs and more protein, but if you use them with bread or toast as I usually do, you're adding back carbs again.

Would you use meat substitute products such as Granburger? Not much carb and high in protein. A few others around but they tend to also have high carbs along with the higher protein.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Do you have to eat breakfast food? Sometimes I just eat leftovers from dinner. Had a meatloaf sandwich this morning and green beans.
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    Do you have to eat breakfast food? Sometimes I just eat leftovers from dinner. Had a meatloaf sandwich this morning and green beans.

Good point. This happens in our house too sometimes. My wife and daughter do this, but me and my son seem stuck on "breakfast" stuff for breakfast.
  • SarahHenderson1981
    Options
    I use one piece of low cal bread toasted, hot sauce instead of butter and a Sunnyside egg on top, chopped green onion, half or quarter serving of goat cheese and a few more drops of hot sauce and some pepper. Break open the yolk and eat with a knife and fork. It is delicious and filling.
  • BennettVicious
    BennettVicious Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with Gordon Ramsey's recipe for scrambled eggs. It makes them into a totally different thing for me and I find them ridiculously satisfying. Recipe here.

I don't often have creme fraiche in my house, so I just use the same amount of pasture-raised sour cream. Yum!
  • flashly99
    flashly99 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I make eggs in the microwave at work. My coworkers call me a gourmet microwave chef jokingly. Basically, the night before I put 6 tbsps (= 2 lg eggs) of Egg Beaters into a microwave safe container. Then I cut up some fresh veggies. Usually it's some asparagus tips, grape tomatoes, jalapenos, & onions but I've used chopped broccoli florets, bell peppers, and zucchini before too. It's pretty much whatever vegetables are available. After that I have whatever spices I'm feeling at the moment & occasionally a tbsp of cheese. Every so often I'll throw some bacon or sausage that I already have made up in the fridge in the mix as well but this isn't too frequently. All of this takes about 5 min, 10 tops. In the morning when I get to work I put the egg mixture in the microwave for 45 sec intervals at 50% power for the first 2-3 intervals, stirring after each one. When the eggs are almost cooked I drop it to 30 sec intervals at 50% power. I frequently bring a whole wheat, 100 cal English muffin with me or a 100 cal Greek yogurt cup to round out the meal.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    flashly99 wrote: »
    I make eggs in the microwave at work. My coworkers call me a gourmet microwave chef jokingly. Basically, the night before I put 6 tbsps (= 2 lg eggs) of Egg Beaters into a microwave safe container. Then I cut up some fresh veggies. Usually it's some asparagus tips, grape tomatoes, jalapenos, & onions but I've used chopped broccoli florets, bell peppers, and zucchini before too. It's pretty much whatever vegetables are available. After that I have whatever spices I'm feeling at the moment & occasionally a tbsp of cheese. Every so often I'll throw some bacon or sausage that I already have made up in the fridge in the mix as well but this isn't too frequently. All of this takes about 5 min, 10 tops. In the morning when I get to work I put the egg mixture in the microwave for 45 sec intervals at 50% power for the first 2-3 intervals, stirring after each one. When the eggs are almost cooked I drop it to 30 sec intervals at 50% power. I frequently bring a whole wheat, 100 cal English muffin with me or a 100 cal Greek yogurt cup to round out the meal.

wow I like this ! I eat my breakfast at work so I am always looking out for stuff like this. Thanks !
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bc0678272 wrote: »
    I switch it up I make cloud bread. You can use them in SO many ways and they have almost no carbs. I have made sandwiches, pancakes with berries on top , and pizza with them.

how do you make cloud 9 bread?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    CarolPre wrote: »
    I get my PB2 at Walmart in the USA.

where do you find it at in the grocery store? like what area? I would love to try this.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I agree with someone else on eating leftovers. Sometimes I don't like "breakfast food" for breakfast. Have you thought about boiling eggs and having a boiled egg for breakfast or make egg salad with light mayo and eat on a low calorie bread or wrap.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    perkymommy wrote: »
    CarolPre wrote: »
    I get my PB2 at Walmart in the USA.

where do you find it at in the grocery store? like what area? I would love to try this.

in my store ( not wally), they put right with the other peanut butters.
  • mmojo123
    mmojo123 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 hard boiled egg whites and a chobani. Boil up a dozen and bag them in 3. Grab and go in the morning. High protein and low in fat!
  • TonyB0588
    Options
    IzzyBooNZ1 wrote: »
    flashly99 wrote: »

wow I like this ! I eat my breakfast at work so I am always looking out for stuff like this. Thanks !

When do you people do any work?! :)

I'm a campaigner for waking up 15 minutes earlier for a simple breakfast before going out. Just amazed at how many of my co-workers bring their breakfast stuff to work, and many buy food from sales vans which visit our place.
  • LacednLace
    LacednLace Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    @TonyB0588 I cant speak for them but I work 12hr shifts as an emergency responder. So I'm usually eating 2 or 3 of my main meals (plus snacks) at work. Id rather have fresh food at my house too but sometimes that 15min of sleep or 15min with the kids is a much preferred option. :) That being said, I try to prep my food at home if im taking it to work because as im sure anyone else on this journey can agree......eating out becomes quite expensive and nutritionally taxing.