Strength Training

Options
I want to start adding strength training into my routine, but since I'm new to this I don't know where to start. I don't want to get bulky. I want to be lean and strong. I'm 5'6 197 lbs. My GW is to between 130-140. I'm still undecided because I happen to have a large ribcage and I don't want it poke out when I'm smaller. I know it's silly because being healthier is more important, but I still want to look good. And I think having my ribcage poke out might make me self conscious. Anyways. I'm buying a 10 lb kettlebell and a set of 3 lb, 5 lb, and 8 lb dumbbells. Is that a good start or am I starting too low? Also what are some good exercises I can do strengthen my core and lift my butt? I have a flat saggy looking butt atm and I really want to fix that. I'm already doing Jillian Michaels beginners shred which has some weight lifting in it with squats and dead lifts but I just feel like that's not enough. Any advice would be helpful and appreciated. :)

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Unless you take steroids you're not going to get bulky and your purse probably weighs more than those weights.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    1 you aren't going to get bulky
    2 your ribcage is not something you can change
    3 save your money on those dumbells, follow a good total body strength program if possible or even a solid bodyweight program if you don't want to go to a gym
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's better to pick a program and stick with it for awhile, instead of adding and changing routines on your own. A beginner program usually starts out fairly easy and then becomes more difficult.

Don't worry about becoming bulky. You have to lift HEAVY weights for years to get that way.

Just worry about losing weight for now. If you get so thin that your ribcage is poking out, you can then decide to stop losing weight or even gain weight to get the appearance you want.

Good luck! Keep going!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I second using a prescribed lifting program. If you don't have a gym membership, look into You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning. Check out this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

ETA: And believe me, you will not get "bulky."
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Women don't get bulky, we don't have the right hormones for that. I have a large ribcage, too. I've not yet hit a weight that doesn't have them showing to some extent. I don't walk around often in clothes that show them off and if I'm in a bikini at the pool, I don't really care what anyone else thinks, anyway. They're more likely to notice my surgery scars first. :smile:

If you really want to see changes you're going to want to plan to lift weights heavier than 10 pounds, eventually. I wouldn't waste money on small dumbbells. The point is to keep adding weight when what you're currently doing gets easy. If you aren't ready or able to join a gym right now, you can easily start out with body weight exercises and then think about either buying larger weights or joining a gym.