How can I get the best strength training with what I have?

Options
I have free weights, and a pulley weight machine for under and over weights (Pic attached), When I am done with doing some reps on these, I don't feel like I've really accomplished anything. I don't even feel sore, or like I've really worked anything at all. What are some strength training for tightening / toning as you lose weight? I am especially wanting to work on my stomach / thighs / flabby arms. Any and all help is appreciated!!!u5ryzfnis8l7.jpg

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight you want to do progressive resistance training, this will help you retain muscle as you lose weight.

Instead of focusing on those spefici areas id recommend a workout plan that works all muscle groups. Bodybuilding.com has tons of programs to follow. Stronglifts 5x5 is also very popular. If you want you dont have to do weights, you could do a bodyweigjt program like convict training or you are your own gym (there are others but these are two common ones).
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I have free weights, and a pulley weight machine for under and over weights (Pic attached), When I am done with doing some reps on these, I don't feel like I've really accomplished anything. I don't even feel sore, or like I've really worked anything at all. What are some strength training for tightening / toning as you lose weight? I am especially wanting to work on my stomach / thighs / flabby arms. Any and all help is appreciated!!!

That might be an indicator that you need to increase weight or reps or both. You should be working hard enough that you are sweating and your muscles are burning. If not, your intensity is too low.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you'd benefit from following a structured program like Stronglifts 5 x 5 or get a copy of the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'd agree with Gaucho's comment about intensity, while I don't subscribe to the "No pain, no gain" mentality your workouts should be challenging.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    "You are your own gym" explains how to do strength training with bodyweight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I would recommend looking into any of a number of beginner programs that are already structured for you. If you feel like you haven't done anything then your intensity is too low...more weight or more reps. Different rep ranges work on different aspects of your fitness....but at any rep range you want it to be challenging and a bit of a struggle to get the last reps in.
  • NewMrsCarlson
    NewMrsCarlson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate all of the suggestions!!!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves may be a good program for you. You can start with bodyweight program or you can advance with cables and weights in the rest of the Strong Curves programs. There are illustrations of alternate exercises too.