September (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    On another random, taper-brain thought, it's gonna be right around 50 degrees when I start my race. I feel like I've almost forgotten how to dress for those temps! Lolz. I'm contemplating bringing a layer but kinda thinking I might just suck it up and start out a little chilly, cause I'll warm up quick and don't want to be stuck carrying something. Any thoughts?
    I have the same temps for mine tomorrow morning. I'm planning to wear a long sleeve *kitten* to the starting line, then put it in my sweat bag at about 10 minutes before the gun and run in a short sleeve shirt and shorts. Or I may just bite the bullet on the walk to the bus and wear just my clothes for the race. There's a warming area at the start.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @mom3over40 - Ouch. That caption really hurts when I can't run. OTOH, the last time a small child asked why I was running, my response was, "Because I can!"

@KatieJane83 - At 50 degrees, I'd start out cold and expect to warm up adequately while running. I'd run in shorts and a tech tee. If there's a drop bag service, I'd put a running jacket and warm up pants in the drop bag. If there's no drop bag service but parking is close to the finish line, I'd put a jacket and warm up pants in my car. If it turns out to be 65 degrees when the race finishes, I probably wouldn't use the pants or jacket; but if it's still 50, I'd appreciate having them for standing around after the race.

@7lenny7 - I have no experience with GoreTex shoes for running. I wear wool socks, either Darn Tough or SmartWool in the winter and I own one pair of ankle-length Feetures wool socks. The wool socks won't keep your feet dry if you step in a puddle of slush, but they will keep your feet warm. The most I've had to wait for the chill of a slush puddle to fade away was bout 10 paces.

Day 5 of No Running for me. Saw the PT this morning. Told her I wasn't sure whether the Dx of Achilles tenonditis was a serious diagnosis or just something to write down to get me into PT. She said is was closer to the latter. Did some electric current, did some ultrasound, did some exercises that weren't all that different from what I was doing on my own, made another appointment for next Tuesday. Final instructions were see how I feel but don't go crazy running.

This afternoon, I can kind of jog up and down my hallway once. I clearly am not up to real running yet, but this is improvement. I am cautiously optimistic that I might be able to keep the 5K on October 2. I'm not crazy enough to enter the cross country 5K on Sunday, but I'm civic minded enough to go be a trail marshal (like road marshal, but off-road) for it. I'll be at one of two trail junctions telling runners which way to turn based on whether they're running loop 1, 2, or 3.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    On another random, taper-brain thought, it's gonna be right around 50 degrees when I start my race. I feel like I've almost forgotten how to dress for those temps! Lolz. I'm contemplating bringing a layer but kinda thinking I might just suck it up and start out a little chilly, cause I'll warm up quick and don't want to be stuck carrying something. Any thoughts?

That would definitely be shorts & singlet weather for me.

What I've done in the past is have a cheap long sleeve shirt to wear before the race, then at the gun, take it off and toss it to the side. I was able to find a clearance on cheap long sleeve shirts for $1 each so I bought a half dozen just for that purpose. Thrift stores or garage sales also work.

I also have cheap jersey gloves that I can wear and toss as I get warm.

Yeah, I like this idea. I'm not worried about the actual race in these temps, but since the HM starts at the halfway point of the full it involves a shuttle bus and all that nonsense, so I'm more concerned about getting overly chilled beforehand (I normally wouldn't worry too much about 50 degrees, but I'm so acclimated to 80+ now, lol, that 50 will feel extra cold!). For now, I might make a quick run to a store, and then order/go to the thrift store for the cheapest I can find to have a stockpile on hand like you suggested for future races.

@mom3over40 - I've been meaning to get some arm sleeves to have, but I've left it kinda late at this point, lol.

also edited @MobyCarp - forgot to respond to you as well, but I'm definitely putting some warmer clothes in my car. The race should finish near my car, I think it will still be under 60 degrees, and I tend to get chilled after long runs in non-hot weather, lol.

Edited to add - Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I have a super lightweight/thin long sleeve thermal top that I could probably really easily tie onto my hydration belt once I remove it, without it bothering me. Might just do that for this occasion.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Thinking about turning off all notification sounds/vibrations for tomorrow's race, even the notification for every mile, so I can just run without distraction, and just check my watch when I pass mile markers and just randomly throughout the race. What do you all think?
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Now I remember why I didn't make this caption earlier... Hope you can say that again soon.
    .... but since the HM starts at the halfway point of the full it involves a shuttle bus and all that nonsense, so I'm more concerned about getting overly chilled beforehand
    This is what those garbage-bag-looking-thing was for with my last race. It was in August, so not chilly during race time but people just had to wait at the start line for a really long time because of similar shuttle issue. Some of them actually wore a huge trash bag and some are foil blankets, I think.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday everyone! Running rest day for me, but did walk 4.1 miles today.

Question time:

WINTER IS COMING. How does everyone get their miles in during the winter? I'm in Chicago, which has some seriously nasty winters, and I know there's going to be a lot of snow and slush and ice and other nastiness. I am looking into joining the gym near my apartment so I can have access to a treadmill when I need it (the gym at my work is closed on weekends, plus I don't work in that building anymore since they transferred me to another location so it's time to cancel that membership). I just foresee a lot of difficulty for me running outdoors during the months of December, January and February. How do you guys deal with it? It's not the cold that bothers me, just all the precipitation looking to give me a broken ankle.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty I try to run anyway except if I physically can't because the snow is like 10 feet or something. Then I'll go to the gym and use their treadmills. I also don't run outside if it's icy. I was looking the otherday at some things called yaktrax. That DC Rainmaker guy was recommending them

Date.....Distance..Type/min/km

September 1 - 12.8km - Tempo&Reps/4:20, 3:30
    September 2 - 7.7 km - Easy/6:00
    September 3 - 6.1 km - Easy/6:30
    September 4 - 17.2km - MP/4:35
    September 5 - rest
    September 6 - 8.0 km - Easy+ST/6:05
    September 7 - 8.9 km - Easy/5:40
    September 8 - 17.2km - Tempo/4:25
    September 9 - 9.1 km - Easy+ST/5:40
    September 10- 5.9 km - Easy/6:23
    September 11- 18.5km - Progressive Long Run (6:00-4:20)
    September 12- rest
    September 13- 8.8 km - Easy+ST/6:00
    September 14- 12.0km - Tempo&Reps/4:15, 3:30
    September 15- 9.1 km - Easy+ST/5:45
    September 16- 7.0 km - Easy/6:03
    September 17- 6.4 km - Easy/7:00
    September 18- 15.2km - Race/4:39
    September 19- rest
    September 20- 10.2km - Easy+ST/5:40
    September 21- 7.0 km - Easy/5:40
    September 22- 13.0km - Tempo/4:15
    September 23- 7.0 km - Easy/6:07

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k 49:03
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k) 48:28
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10.5k) 49:12
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    9/1: 4.3 miles
    9/2: Rest day
    9/3: 9.4 miles
    9/4: 5.7 miles
    9/5: 6 miles
    9/6: 6 miles
    9/7: 4 miles
    9/8: 3.2 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/9: Rest day
    9/10: 5.3 miles
    9/11: 13.1 - Via HM
    9/12: 3 miles with the Coffee Crew!
    9/13: 7.9 miles
    9/14: 4.3 miles run commute home
    9/15: 7.3 miles run commute to work
    ........: 6.2 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/16: Rest day
    9/17: 8.1 miles with the Saturday crew!
    9/18: 11.3 miles (am) + 4.7 miles (pm)
    9/19: 6.1 miles
    9/20: 4 miles
    9/21: 8 miles
    ........: 4.9 miles
    9/22: 6.7 miles
    ........: 6.4 miles with the Thursday crew!
    9/23: Rest day

Glad you guys are getting so much mileage out of that pic I posted!! All the edits have put a smile on my face after a long frustrating day, which will be followed by a long and frustrating night. I've got a 19 mile group run set for tomorrow, starting at 5:30 am, and my housemates are throwing a housewarming party tonight which starts at 8, goes til God Knows When, and no one I invited can come (because we're all running tomorrow). So I contributed some food to the party (refused to pitch in for booze since I have no guests and I won't be drinking) and will obligatorially mingle for an hour or two before retreating upstairs to watch a Netflix comedy special and attempt to go to sleep. Tomorrow's long run should be interesting, to say the least.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    9/11 LVHN Via Half-Marathon DONE!
    10/8: Coe College Homecoming 5k
    10/16: Halloween Half-Marathon
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Good luck to those racing this weekend! Thanks for all the tips on staying warm before the race. I always end up overdressing and then have to tie my jacket around my waist.

Sep 1 - 2.98 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 2 - 2.1 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 3 - 2.13 miles (recovery)
    Sep 4 - 11.67 miles (long)
    Sep 5 - rest
    Sep 6 - 3.39 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 7 - 2.65 miles (long intervals)
    Sep 8 - 6 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 9 - 2.84 miles (short intervals)
    Sep 10 - 4.01 miles (recovery)
    Sep 11 - 9.94 miles (w/u, alternating miles by pace goal/heart rate, last mile fast finish)
    Sep 12 - rest
    Sep 13 - 5 miles (2 middle miles @ tempo pace)
    Sep 14 - 2.56 miles (recovery)
    Sep 15 - 6 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 16 - rest
    Sep 17 - 4.01 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 18 - 12 miles (w/u, 11 x .25 mile zone 3 + .75 mile zone 2, c/d)
    Sep 19 - rest
    Sep 20 - 5.07 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 21 - rest
    Sep 22 - 7.09 miles (aerobic)
    Sep 23 - 3.43 miles (long intervals)

Total: 92.87 / 100 miles
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty come on down to AZ we don't have any of that creepy cold precipitation. All winter is nice cool/cold dry running weather. Most every morning all winter long will be 40-50 degrees and dry (except for the like week of actual winter we have where it will be cold and damp but still no snow).
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @ceciliaslater Sorry you are dealing with that situation:-/

@skippygirlsmom Funny story. I'll soon be a scary clown. I think/hope my LED gear arrives tomorrow.

@mbaker566 Hi :) I was wondering the other day if you'd drop in soon.

4 miles this morning for me. 10:41/10:05/9:48/9:10. I could've sworn it was all 9 min miles ;)

Last night I was driving at dusk and noticing how hard it was to see pedestrians. Then suddenly there was a guy walking the white line carrying his bike and I slammed the brakes to avoid hitting him. Geez. With headlights in my eyes from the opposite lane, it was like he came out of nowhere. Crazy.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

September goal.....run/jog/prance

9/1 3.12
    9/2 4-ish (technology malfunction...)
    9/3 strength/core training
    9/4 3.18
    9/5 rest
    9/6 3.25 + strength/core
    9/7 5.7
    9/8 strength/core training
    9/9 rest
    9/10 3.25
    9/11 3.16 + strength/core
    9/12 snorkel 2 hours
    9/13 rest
    9/14 moved a friend's woodworking shop: saw, planer, and lathe....up 15 stairs.....
    9/15 6.25 then a 4.2 mile trail hike thru Kilauea Iki with 2000' elevation change (yep, I'm counting it!)
    9/16 more ennui
    9/17 4.10
    9/18 core/strength training
    9/19 3.13
    9/20 rest
    9/21 7.40
    9/22 core/strength
    9/23 3.15

Total 50.24

and to celebrate fall: puppies and rainbows. Have a great weekend everyone!
    m38nnx50nxor.jpg
    Upcoming races:
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Thinking about turning off all notification sounds/vibrations for tomorrow's race, even the notification for every mile, so I can just run without distraction, and just check my watch when I pass mile markers and just randomly throughout the race. What do you all think?

@MNLittleFinn - I've never turned off the mile autolap for races, and I frequently don't notice the vibration in a race environment. Then again, I don't always notice it on an easy training run. FWIW, I opted for text alerts for timing in a couple of races, and out of perhaps a dozen such alerts only noticed my phone beeping for a text once. That was in a trail race, and it was pretty quiet around me at the time. But if you think the alerts might be a distraction, go ahead and turn them off. You have to do what you think will work for you.
    WINTER IS COMING. How does everyone get their miles in during the winter? I'm in Chicago, which has some seriously nasty winters, and I know there's going to be a lot of snow and slush and ice and other nastiness. I am looking into joining the gym near my apartment so I can have access to a treadmill when I need it (the gym at my work is closed on weekends, plus I don't work in that building anymore since they transferred me to another location so it's time to cancel that membership). I just foresee a lot of difficulty for me running outdoors during the months of December, January and February. How do you guys deal with it? It's not the cold that bothers me, just all the precipitation looking to give me a broken ankle.

@RespectTheKitty - I live in the Rochester, NY area, the Land of Lake Effect Snow. My first winter running, I tried making screw shoes. The issue I had was that I'd lose the screws on the clear asphalt. The expense didn't bother me, because they're cheap. The labor of replacing the screws wasn't too bad. The killer is that if I lose the screws on asphalt early in the run, I don't have them for traction on snow late in the run. They probably work better for trail running than the road running I do.

My first winter training for a half, I learned to wear Saucony Peregrines (trail shoes) instead of my usual Kinvaras (road shoes) when there was snow on the ground. That made a big difference. Others have advocated YakTrax or similar clip-on traction devices, but this type of thing tends to get destroyed by clear asphalt. Since a typical winter run can be a mix of snow and clear asphalt, I never tried the clip ons. I think no matter what added traction you use on your feet, it's not all in the gear you use. A good part of it is in running enough on less perfect surfaces to become good at it. When you become good at running on typical winter surfaces, the trail shoes or other traction strategy you use will work a lot better than it did the first time you tried it.

Last winter, my club talked me into a 3 month facilities membership at a local college. 4 days a week, I'd run outside. 2 days a week, I did speed work on a 200m indoor track. Bonus, the day it was a ridiculous cold wind chill, my long run was supposed to be 22 miles, and I didn't think I could last over 13 miles in the weather, I could run my 177 laps of the 200m track for my 22 miles. That was a bit of a mental challenge, but having done it sure impressed a lot of people.

Bottom line is, you do what you have to do. You identify routes where the snow removal is good enough for running. If there aren't very many such routes, you get tired of them; but if you want to run a spring marathon, you have to train in the winter.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Question - since Academy has discontinued my favorite shoe (and I didn't stock a few dozen pairs when they WERE available :smiley: ), I've been looking for my next brand/style. I'm looking at runrepeat.com and runningwarehouse.com, but I think I've seen folks here talking about being able to save money on excellent shoes by buying last year's model. How are you finding them? If you're shopping online, are there retailers that still carry last year's model, or are you just stalking the brick-and-mortar stores around you?

If I can find a shoe I'm interested in (right now I'm looking at Saucony as a go-to brand), I'll probably visit my local brick-and-mortar store to get a real-feel for them, but buy online (don't worry - I've bought plenty from them before, so I'm not really abusing them). I'll prob even tell them the online price to see if they want to match (or at least come close).
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Question - since Academy has discontinued my favorite shoe (and I didn't stock a few dozen pairs when they WERE available :smiley: ), I've been looking for my next brand/style. I'm looking at runrepeat.com and runningwarehouse.com, but I think I've seen folks here talking about being able to save money on excellent shoes by buying last year's model. How are you finding them? If you're shopping online, are there retailers that still carry last year's model, or are you just stalking the brick-and-mortar stores around you?

If I can find a shoe I'm interested in (right now I'm looking at Saucony as a go-to brand), I'll probably visit my local brick-and-mortar store to get a real-feel for them, but buy online (don't worry - I've bought plenty from them before, so I'm not really abusing them). I'll prob even tell them the online price to see if they want to match (or at least come close).

Saving money by looking at last year's models makes good sense - as long as the models you look at are the right characteristics for your feet... I've bought 8 pairs of shoes this year and one of the best pairs I ended up with was a pair of last year's Mizuno Wave Rider 18's for around $60.

Just make sure wherever you order from allows returns...
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    and to celebrate fall: puppies and rainbows. Have a great weekend everyone!
    m38nnx50nxor.jpg

Hey @HonuNui, check it out! Here's a picture of Kody and a rainbow just before our run tonight!

qawd9d5zzs4c.jpg

• ariceroni
    ariceroni Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    So I had my four week follow up with the orthopedic doctor this morning. He says my stress fracture is healing well but still no running yet. Of course, I had spent the last few weeks convincing myself that I would be cleared to run at this appointment, so that was a pretty devastating blow :cry:

I did get a script for a bone density scan (I was anorexic for 7 years, recovered for 3 years now, but EDs aren’t exactly good for your bones) and physical therapy. Should hopefully be running a tiny bit in 2-4 weeks as part of the PT, but probably not any outside of it. And then I have another follow up with the Dr in 6 weeks to get the DXA results and discuss the PT and hopefully be 100% cleared to start running again. I’m not going to get my hopes up this time though.

The point is, I’ve already taken 6 weeks off from running at this point. And now I still have another 2-6 weeks to go :disappointed: the Dr said that in the meantime, I can bike to my “heart’s content” (which I’ve already been doing lol). Good thing I bought that spin bike yesterday; if I’m going to be biking 1-2 hours a day for the next few weeks, I might as well be doing so from the comfort of my own living room. And in front of my own tv. *sigh*
    Like I said, I’m super disappointed though because I had convinced myself that the Dr would clear me to start running again after today’s appointment. This is what I get for getting my hopes up -_-

@RespectTheKitty - I'm in Chicago as well! I usually just run outside in the winter, as long as it's above -10 *F or so (with wind chill). Invest in some good tights (my favorite are the sugoi sub zero tights, they keep me toasty warm and block that harsh Chicago wind!) and a nice running jacket (I have the Lululemon Down for a Run jacket). Also a running buff and some good gloves are a must! Last winter, I joined a running group called the Winter Warriors; it was managed by Chicago Endurance Sports and operated out of a few different Fleet Feet locations. I would recommend looking into something like that, as it definitely helped keep me motivated to run consistently through the winter! The best tip I have though is to only run exclusively on the lakefront trail! Since it is maintained by the Parks and Rec department rather than Streets and Sanitation, I've found that it gets cleared of snow/ice MUCH much faster than the sidewalks do! I've seen them out there a few times clearing off the trail as the snow is still falling, and have yet to encounter any really big icy spots on the trail. I have a pair of yaktrax like @AdrianChr92 mentioned, though I only used them a few times last winter since it was so mild! The only pain is that you kind of have to take them off when you are running on surfaces that aren't covered in ice/snow otherwise it messes with your gait and footstrike a bit. A lot of people in my running group wore trail shoes like @MobyCarp suggested too. Anyways I guess the point is, it is definitely possible to keep running outside through most of the winter here! But a treadmill is a great option too, especially for those brutally cold days :smile:

@MNLittleFinn - good luck!! You've been training really hard and I know you have a great race in store for you :) be sure to enjoy the experience extra for those of us that can't currently run!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    4.9 miles easy miles with Kody tonight. I got outside just after a storm rolled through and we were greeted with a rainbow (see above). Looking at a bit trail run in the morning. I'm now at 63 out of 100 miles for the month so not looking like I'll make it.

@MNLittleFinn you should set your phone and GPS watch up exactly as you did during your long runs. Nothing changes unless it has to.