Calisthenics v Heavy Lifting

Options
Apologies if this has been asked before but I am looking to increase my strength training. I like lifting but don't have access to super heavy weights, my husband does calisthenics and is seeing pretty good results.

If I continue with dumb bells at home is that any good, I have enough weights to steadily increase weight for a bit?
Would calisthenics be better for me?
Or will best results come from very heavy lifting (like SL 5x5)?

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into something like You Are Your Own Gym?

It is a progressive bodyweight program. So you don't need the heavy equipment and I believe you can use things around the house.

https://www.marklauren.com/books.html
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,183 Member
    Options
    One can build quite a body with only body weight training, but to do it well, you need good resources. I also suggest You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. I have heard good things about Convict Conditioning as well.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. You say that you want to "increase strength training" but what do you mean by that? Are you aiming for a particular aesthetic, to gain a certain level of functional fitness, to lift really heavy weights, etc.?

As others have said though, you can accomplish a lot with body weight training! It depends on what you enjoy as much as your goals.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Depends what you define as best. If you only have dumbells & yourself, you can get quite far with calisthenics. If you eventually get to a point and are able to get back to a barbell you can do that too. Its very ambiguous to say which is best, instead do the one you prefer because both can make you strong.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts may be the fastest way to a good strength base.

And circuit training with lighter weights can help with definition and endurance.

Bodyweight training with limited weights may be a slower strength progression and more difficult to perform. But I think you get extra benefits working on all planes with the unilateral loads (core/mobility). The loads can seem heavier with the dumbbells and single leg/arm movements than with a barbell.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    You can work all major muscle groups by doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and running. And get a cardio.

Anything else is gravy.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    You can work all major muscle groups by doing push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups, and running. And get a cardio.

Anything else is gravy.

Thanks. I run and doing spinning too.
  • julesloveland
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. You say that you want to "increase strength training" but what do you mean by that? Are you aiming for a particular aesthetic, to gain a certain level of functional fitness, to lift really heavy weights, etc.?

As others have said though, you can accomplish a lot with body weight training! It depends on what you enjoy as much as your goals.

Good point on my goals that would have been helpful info! I run obstacle races so I do want genuine strength, I would also like more muscle definition (but not totally ripped).
  • julesloveland
    Options
    Have you looked into something like You Are Your Own Gym?

It is a progressive bodyweight program. So you don't need the heavy equipment and I believe you can use things around the house.

https://www.marklauren.com/books.html
    One can build quite a body with only body weight training, but to do it well, you need good resources. I also suggest You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. I have heard good things about Convict Conditioning as well.

Thanks I'll take a look!