Where are the filthy punk rockers at?

Options
figureitout87
figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
I figure metal got a pretty decent response. Punk is bound to get less, but let's see who is out there.

NOFX, Rancid, Noi!se, U.S. Bombs, The Cramps, Bikini Kill, L7, Guttermouth, Stiff Little Fingers, SNFU, Leftover Crack, Off With Thier Heads, Face to Face, Propaghandi, Swingin' Utters, 7 Seconds, Crass, The Rebel Spell... the list goes on.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I've got an Avril Lavigne CD....
  • figureitout87
    Options
    I recommend digging a whole lot deeper, haha!
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I'm over in the metal discussion but I'm going to throw my hat in here as well. I loves me some punk. Crass, Sex Pistols (I know, I know), UK Subs, The Dickies, Stiff Little Fingers, Minor Threat, DK, Black Flag, Anjelic Upstarts, Ramones, The Clash, Catholic Discipline, New York Dolls, Bad Brains, The Stranglers...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I've got an Avril Lavigne CD....

love her 2nd album
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I'm not filthy, but I do like punk. It's not my go-to genre, and I don't seek out new stuff really, but in high school I had a pretty good run of being a punk. A lot of what I listened to bbavk then has stuck around and pops up in my play lists every so often. The virus, the casualties, dead Kennedys, bad religion, the exploited, rancid, sex pistols. Pretty much what you'd expect.

On a related note, I made the mistake of watching SLC Punk 2 when it popped up on netflix recently. The original was one of my favorite movies. The very late sequel did pretty much what I expected it would and sucked hard. I'm not sure why I bothered. Maybe seeing some returning cast I hoped for better. Oh well, I still have my old DVD lying around to wash out that bad taste.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Where are they? Stuck in the 80s I would assume.
  • figureitout87
    Options
    I'm not filthy, but I do like punk. It's not my go-to genre, and I don't seek out new stuff really, but in high school I had a pretty good run of being a punk. A lot of what I listened to bbavk then has stuck around and pops up in my play lists every so often. The virus, the casualties, dead Kennedys, bad religion, the exploited, rancid, sex pistols. Pretty much what you'd expect.

On a related note, I made the mistake of watching SLC Punk 2 when it popped up on netflix recently. The original was one of my favorite movies. The very late sequel did pretty much what I expected it would and sucked hard. I'm not sure why I bothered. Maybe seeing some returning cast I hoped for better. Oh well, I still have my old DVD lying around to wash out that bad taste.

I didn't even realize that they had made the sequel already. I'll probably still watch it, but generally sequels are pretty pitiful. I'd like to see a lot less revivals going on.

Also, nothing wrong with kicking it old school. I don't listen to a ton of new punk but there is good stuff out there. Digging through local scenes is a lot of fun when it comes to hunting down new music. But I get from most people that they've grown out of it - I don't know how that happens, but that's what I hear.
  • figureitout87
    Options
    Also, the filthy isn't a requirement - I shower pretty regularly myself.
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the Circle Jerks, The Business, The Vandals, or the Buzzcocks.
  • figureitout87
    Options
    Hell yeah! I love The Business, and I've been lucky enough to catch the Buzzcocks a few times over the years.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Husband will be very disappointed that I forgot about Fear
  • _birdie__
    _birdie__ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I figure metal got a pretty decent response. Punk is bound to get less, but let's see who is out there.

NOFX, Rancid, Noi!se, U.S. Bombs, The Cramps, Bikini Kill, L7, Guttermouth, Stiff Little Fingers, SNFU, Leftover Crack, Off With Thier Heads, Face to Face, Propaghandi, Swingin' Utters, 7 Seconds, Crass, The Rebel Spell... the list goes on.

i like bikini kill

I'm over in the metal discussion but I'm going to throw my hat in here as well. I loves me some punk. Crass, Sex Pistols (I know, I know), UK Subs, The Dickies, Stiff Little Fingers, Minor Threat, DK, Black Flag, Anjelic Upstarts, Ramones, The Clash, Catholic Discipline, New York Dolls, Bad Brains, The Stranglers...

and black flag

• cagehringer
    cagehringer Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I'm not filthy- but love the punk rock. Currently on rotation: The Candy Snatchers, Reagan Youth, Circle Jerks, and Black Flag (Keith Morris- Not Rollins.)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    Nice music lists. Lots of classics on there.
  • SisypheanWorkout
    SisypheanWorkout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've got The Misfit's American Psycho going right now! Old Rise Against and Rancid is decent. Older Gob (Canadian band) is good too. I'm more of a metalhead too, but there's lots of good punk. I don't care for the poppy stuff though.
  • figureitout87
    Options
    Nice, Gob is actually a local band for me! It's good nostalgia to go see them play for sure.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    fatguy3382 wrote: »
    I've got The Misfit's American Psycho going right now! Old Rise Against and Rancid is decent. Older Gob (Canadian band) is good too. I'm more of a metalhead too, but there's lots of good punk. I don't care for the poppy stuff though.

I was friends with the drummer for Rise Against (Brandon Barnes) in school, so although it's rad that I have a rockstar friend, I'm not much of a fan.

I was a not-so-dirty punk rocker back in the day when I went to shows all the time. In my old age I really only have a few that I can tolerate on my playlists.

Dead Milkmen
    Face to Face
    Descendents
    lagwagon
    Guttermouth
    NOFX

• iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Shellac, Bad Religion, Jawbox, Jawbreaker, Gauge, Hoover, Cap'n Jazz, Trenchmouth (Fred...I want a reunion), Black Flag, Descendents, Propagandhi, Samiam, Shutter to Think, The Dismemberment Plan, Hey Mercedes, Friction, Naked Raygun, The Bollweevils, Pegboy, 88 Fingers Louis, Screeching Weasel. A lot of local punk. I grew up with some of the bands.
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Have to say...I feel old. Brought back a lot of memories!
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    The Exploited
    Discharge
    GBH