Keeping weight off while on Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (i.e., Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft)

Options
esanata
esanata Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello MFP community. For those to whom this applies to, how do you keep the weight off while on seratonin inhibitors (i.e., Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft) - these are a kind of antidepressant.
I've found that the medicine is attributed to weight gain, and no matter the calorie counting or consistent work outs, I still can't manage to keep the weight off. Anyone else out there have similar experiences? What do you do about it? I'm 5'5", at 145lbs. I'm a size 8 and my goal is to lose at lease one pant size! :)
Thanks!

Replies

• Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    PS you may have a sluggish thyroid. Ask your DR for a blood test to determine if thats what is going on. If you do have hypothyroidism then they will probably put you on a drug which will solve that problem (however you will be on it for life) and you will lose weight. Worth asking about.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    esanata wrote: »
    Hello MFP community. For those to whom this applies to, how do you keep the weight off while on seratonin inhibitors (i.e., Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft) - these are a kind of antidepressant.
    I've found that the medicine is attributed to weight gain, and no matter the calorie counting or consistent work outs, I still can't manage to keep the weight off. Anyone else out there have similar experiences? What do you do about it? I'm 5'5", at 145lbs. I'm a size 8 and my goal is to lose at lease one pant size! :)
    Thanks!

If your words in bold are accurate, talk to your doctor. There may be some other health issue involved here. If you are consistently counting calories and working out, weight should not be an issue on those medications. Most cases of weight gain can be attributed to the medication giving people increased appetite. But that alone wouldn't cause weight gain. It's what you do with that appetite. So go get checked out for other possible problems. Good luck! :)
  • Sandra37405
    Sandra37405 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been on Lexapro three times and gained significant weight each time. The first two times I lost the weight after going off the medication, the last time....I'm still working on it.
  • WannabeDiabeticFree
    Options
    I've been on Lexapro and switched to Zoloft because Lexapro was making me lethargic. My psychiatrist said that fatigue is a common symptom of Lexapro. I think if you are feeling lethargic, you may be eating more to gain energy (?). That is exactly what I was doing! Think about that and talk to your doctor. Even though both drugs are Seratonin inhibitors, they are not exactly the same.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm on Sertraline for the second time and this time I'm putting on weight, plainly due to laziness. Last time I was quite stressed, but eating well and walking about 40 mins a day. I have PCOS and this is why I'm on the anti depressants.
    Have a talk with your doctor and ask them to give you blood tests and an ultrasound if necessary.
    Best of luck!
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I was on zoloft for anxiety and panic disorder and had a problem with increased appetite and lethargy and a general feeling of disinterest in literally everything, so my doctor switched me to an SSNRI instead (Effexor). I've had a lot more energy and haven't noticed an increased appetite at all and it does a lot better job at curbing my panic episodes. I dunno how this class of drug works for depression, though, but might be something to talk to your doctor about if you're generally not feeling well on the particular drug you're on. There are so many options out there, I'm sure you can find one that works better for you.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Log your food. Eat below caloric goal. No weight will be added. It's like science, or something!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    I had unacceptable sexual side effects with Zoloft. I'm taking Wellbutrin now, which is a little speedy, a side effect I like. This indirectly helps with weight loss.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'm on Sertraline [Zoloft], have been for the whole length of my journey and I've lost over 50lbs and kept it off. I've even decreased my medication from treating my depression (100mg) to just my OCD (50mg) [under doctor's supervision of course] because I'm doing so well with working out/eating well. I think the mental illness has more to do with the weight gain than the medication does. If you feel crappy you eat crappy because you just want to feel better and refined sugars are the immediate high. Keep strong and don't let it boss you around and the weight will come off. If you're still having problems, go to your doctor and discuss changing your medication. :smile:
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    there are a number of recent posts about this. i have been on Lexapro for 5+ years. the medication itself DOES NOT directly cause weight gain. sometimes people experience increased appetite as a side effect, which of course will lead to weight gain. if you think you are having issues beyond this (as you state, "no matter the calorie counting or consistent work outs, I still can't manage to keep the weight off") then the Lexapro may not be the problem - talk to your doctor about other possible causes (i.e. underactive thyroid, etc.).
  • charis2979
    charis2979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been on Lexapro for several years now and weight gain has not been an issue for me. I think there are other factors at play like others have mentioned beyond the SSRI. I'm still on Lexapro in fact and am not having difficulty losing weight with MFP and exercise.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am on Lexapro and I started gaining weight and had not changed anything I was doing. Ate selectively, went to fitness club 3 times week, packed on 30 pounds. So I have no idea and my doctors were not interested. That was 20 years ago and today being on Medicare, doctor isnt interested. I have to work harder just to maintain that 30 pounds I gained. Working out longer isnt an option since I have developed arthritis in the knees. If I go below 1200 calories I will lose but I can't live that way. yes I will be taking Lexapro till I die.. nothing shows up on my blood-work - ever.
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Not changing diet or routine I gained 40lbs in 6 months on Lexapro. I talked to my doctor about it. My doctor was skeptical it was the medication (apparently weight loss is more common) but after running tests to rule out other issues switched me to a different medication. In the first 4 months after the switch I lost 20lbs, once again not changing much about diet or exercise. I've had to make changes since then to continue losing weight but for me changing the medication made a huge difference, not only to my weight by also to general mood. Not sure if it was directly the medication or issues surrounding my diagnosis that causes the weight gain/loss. On my new medication I have less stress and a lot more energy, which makes it easier to adhere to the changes I need to maintain for my health.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Log your food. Eat below caloric goal. No weight will be added. It's like science, or something!

If only it were that simple. I did all of the above - and still managed to pack on 15 pounds over the course of 7 months on Zoloft, and that's after 3 years of perfect maintenance. Nothing else changed... weighed/measured everything, exercised daily, no other changes other than the introduction of the medication. Sertraline can cause metabolic changes that affect the body's ability to use/absorb calories in a small percentage of the population, and it appears that I got lumped into the lucky few. I've been off the medication for 5 weeks, and managed to lose 5 pounds off the gain by changing nothing but stopping the meds.