I want to become a bodybuilder

Options
I'm 18 right now my goal in life is to become a body builder. I'm overweight but I've lost 29 pounds so far. I'm
-188 pounds
-5'10
-24% body fat
-Bmi 27
I don't want to Loose weight and regain it to get mucle. I wanted to know what % of body fat should I stay at and start working out on my mucle instead of loosing it and regaining it. :)

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 right now my goal in life is to become a body builder. I'm overweight but I've lost 29 pounds so far. I'm
    -188 pounds
    -5'10
    -24% body fat
    -Bmi 27
    I don't want to Loose weight and regain it to get mucle. I wanted to know what % of body fat should I stay at and start working out on my mucle instead of loosing it and regaining it. :)

You're not going to get very far as bodybuilder without bulking and cutting cycles. I'd say cycles of cutting until ~10% BF followed by bulking to ~15% BF. Cut down to sub 10% for shows.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    From my experience although i wouldn't say i was a body builder but i had and have some good muscles. The route i took was to lose the weight you want first and for me it was 10-15 pounds under my goal weight, then i gained the 10-15 pounds back in muscle to my goal weight. My thoughts on why i did this was that i didn't think it would be worth it to all the weight lifting while still having a semi high body fat %. This allowed me to have muscles to show, rather then have the muscles covered by some fat.

My results: i dropped down to 185ish (im 6ft 1in) then gained to 200 by building muscle. I was 200 pounds and at my lowest i got down to 12-13% body fat. I was pretty fit and had lots of muscles.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    -188 pounds
    -5'10
    -24% body fat
    -Bmi 27

Get to 3%, and then recomp for the next 25 years.

Or.... Reassess your goals.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    -188 pounds
    -5'10
    -24% body fat
    -Bmi 27

Get to 3%, and then recomp for the next 25 years.

Or.... Reassess your goals.

And focus on college, a degree, a career . . . At 18 you have years of work ahead of you. Have a backup. Or two.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Do it. Totally doable. My sister is a body builder and the dedication is inspiring. Go for it :)