Need advice on where to start after long absence from working out

Options
For various reasons (medical and mental) I've been out of the exercise scene for quite some time. I don't think I've done a proper workout for almost a year...

Now that I'm feeling better both physically and mentally, I'm not really sure where to start. After months of being fairly sedentary I've gained 5kg, lost much of my muscle tone, strength and endurance. I'm 162 cm and 70 kg, so my BMI is 26. I know I'm not massively overweight, but I'm at the point that all of my clothes are getting uncomfortable, and I'm sick of feeling pudgy, tired and run down all the time. I'm not really interested in dieting, and due to the fact I struggle with hypoglycaemic symptoms I can't really eat less than I do (although admittedly I could make healthier food choices at times). I really want to get fit again but know I need to go about it slowly and sensibly.

I'm not really sure where to start in working exercise into my current routine. I love cycling, yoga (which I currently do once a week) and hiking, I also know that I HATE running with a passion so that's out. My typical day looks like this:

6 AM - Get up, shower, breakfast etc.
7:30 - Leave for work
8:30 - Arrive at work
12:30 PM - Lunch (1 hour)
4:30-5 - Leave work
5:30-6 - Arrive home, make dinner, do chores, go for a walk, down time (+ yoga for 1 hour on Wednesday night)
9PM - Shower, bed

On weekends my partner try to get out and do some short hikes or walks.

I want to keep costs down so joining a gym is out of the question. I do have weights, mats and a Swiss ball at home but really struggle to motivate myself to set aside time for a workout... lame excuse I know.

One goal is to start cycling to and from work again, at least once a day (15 km each way), that and walking every day takes care of cardio. I guess I need to include some strength training in there somewhere. What could I do for strength training? Does yoga count? I think I could manage another 2 yoga sessions per week at home, would this be a good place to start in building strength and fitness?

Thanks in advance for any replies :smile:

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    KeshNZ wrote: »
    For various reasons (medical and mental) I've been out of the exercise scene for quite some time. I don't think I've done a proper workout for almost a year...

Now that I'm feeling better both physically and mentally, I'm not really sure where to start. After months of being fairly sedentary I've gained 5kg, lost much of my muscle tone, strength and endurance. I'm 162 cm and 70 kg, so my BMI is 26. I know I'm not massively overweight, but I'm at the point that all of my clothes are getting uncomfortable, and I'm sick of feeling pudgy, tired and run down all the time. I'm not really interested in dieting, and due to the fact I struggle with hypoglycaemic symptoms I can't really eat less than I do (although admittedly I could make healthier food choices at times). I really want to get fit again but know I need to go about it slowly and sensibly.

I'm not really sure where to start in working exercise into my current routine. I love cycling, yoga (which I currently do once a week) and hiking, I also know that I HATE running with a passion so that's out. My typical day looks like this:

6 AM - Get up, shower, breakfast etc.
    7:30 - Leave for work
    8:30 - Arrive at work
    12:30 PM - Lunch (1 hour)
    4:30-5 - Leave work
    5:30-6 - Arrive home, make dinner, do chores, go for a walk, down time (+ yoga for 1 hour on Wednesday night)
    9PM - Shower, bed

On weekends my partner try to get out and do some short hikes or walks.

I want to keep costs down so joining a gym is out of the question. I do have weights, mats and a Swiss ball at home but really struggle to motivate myself to set aside time for a workout... lame excuse I know.

One goal is to start cycling to and from work again, at least once a day (15 km each way), that and walking every day takes care of cardio. I guess I need to include some strength training in there somewhere. What could I do for strength training? Does yoga count? I think I could manage another 2 yoga sessions per week at home, would this be a good place to start in building strength and fitness?

Thanks in advance for any replies :smile:

I would consider 2 full body strength training sessions per week using a combination of your home equipment and bodyweight exercises.

Example:

Day 1
    Goblet Squat
    DB overhead Press
    DB Row
    Single Leg Hip Thrust

Day 2
    Goblet Squat
    DB Bench Press (use the ball if you don't have a bench)
    Single leg DB RDL
    Superset DB curls and DB skullcrushers

Start with 1 set per exercise week 1. 8 to 12 reps per exercise.
    Week 2 move to 2 sets per exercise and stay there for about 4-6 weeks.
    During weeks 2-6 add 1 rep per set taking you from 2x9 to 2x12 at week 6

At this point you could go up in weight to the next dumbbell (heavier) and add another set and from here you stay at 3 sets per exercise and just run the progression from 3x8 to 3x12.

Could modify that or add/subtract stuff, this is just a quick example of a program and structure you could do at home that includes pressing, pulling, hip hinging, and squatting and a form of progressive overload.

I am not suggesting that the above is optimal. It's just an example.
  • KeshNZ
    KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank for the example, I like the idea of starting off with 1 set, too often in the past I've jumped right in with 3 sets then beaten myself up for not completing the workout then given up. I think 1 set building up to 2 would be manageable.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    KeshNZ wrote: »
    Thank for the example, I like the idea of starting off with 1 set, too often in the past I've jumped right in with 3 sets then beaten myself up for not completing the workout then given up. I think 1 set building up to 2 would be manageable.

In the beginning you will not need much volume to make progress and additionally you'll reduce soreness a great deal by taking this approach.