Eating healthy and losing weight, with little income

Options
Are there any good ways to eat healthier and lose weight on a little income? I am unemployed right now, so I figured since I am not working I'll have a lot of time to work out. Thinking about walking a few miles a day. I am 6ft 2in and weigh in at 278 lbs. I would love to lose 25-35 lbs by the end of the year. Ultimate goal is to get down to 215 lbs. In addition to walking, what are other good workouts that I could do? My body stores most of my fat between my neck and waist. Have a little bit of fat on arms and legs also. I could also use all the support I can get. I am one of those people who loses focus and motivation a lot then I quit doing everything. But now I have 1 1/2 year old boy who is going to be my motivation to become a healthier and strong father/person.

Replies

• louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I am on a strict budget and I am doing it. I buy in bulk meats and cheeses. Those you can portion out and freeze. I also do sales and coupons. Kroger is where I shop mostly with digital downloads. Fresh foods are best but on a budget buy frozen bulk veggies and you can just fix what you need.

Unfortantly there is no such thing as spot reducing. But I use Youtube a lot for workouts. There is so many there and it's free.
  • emk129
    emk129 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can do this on a budget!!! I'll be happy to support you on your journey. Been there done that. Let's connect. I love that your son is your motivation!! Simply beautiful. Congratulations on making the commitment to take better care of your self
  • biggafadda
    biggafadda Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cheaper than eating out if you prepare your meals at home. Youtube will turn anyone into a chef :)
  • 50extra
    50extra Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    #1 way I save money on my breakfasts is by eating oatmeal. I buy huge bag of quick oats, then each morning throw in half a cup of oats, some water, cinnamon, a touch of milk and a pack of splenda into the microwave and TADA I have breakfast for no more than a couple pennies.

I preach the oatmeal to anyone who will listen. Its a low calorie meal that is super cheap and keeps me full until lunch time.
  • dahlia1015
    dahlia1015 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Coupons, coupons, COUPONS!! I can't stress that enough. I went through the same thing a few years ago, and yes I looked like a crazy coupon lady, but I'll be damned if I didn't get every discount I could. Buy frozen foods as much as possible and stick to fresh foods that keep for a while.
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Try to get stuff that keeps for a while. Apples, oranges, and carrots all keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.
  • kingjoker32
    kingjoker32 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the help everyone
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises are legit! You can find tons off routines online. Also, stick to seasonal veggies and I have an app on my phone called "Flipp" that's pretty wicked for finding sales. Stir fry is probably my favourite budget meal just watch it with the sauce!
  • emk129
    emk129 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    A good time to get meat at the grocery store is the day before the sales are going to change. For ex: my circular prices are in effect Friday to Thursday. So Thursday I go and cruise the meat department and look for the "managers special" sticker. It means the sell by date is that day. So to get it sold they discount it. $2-$3 less. I stock up, take it home season it and split up the packages depending on how many servings come in a pack. I often cook once and eat twice (for ex leftover dinner for lunch) and save a nice chunk of change.

I always shop the store circular sales and if I need to I will go to multiple stores for things in order to save money. I use coupons.

If you want some help figuring it all out I'll be happy to help!

• almostanangel21
    almostanangel21 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Eat in season. You'll notice that some months strawberries are on sale, other months you get great deals on zucchini, other times it's peaches, etc? That's because the farmers just harvested a ton of that food at its peak of ripe yumminess, so quantity and quality are high at the same time that prices hit bottom. My grocery store has a little card rack of recipes for almost every kind of produce they carry; when you see a sale on something you haven't tried before, grab some and give it a go. You'll save money, eat great, and make every calorie work for you. Conversely, don't bother buying fruits or veggies that aren't on sale; chances are if you pay $6 for fresh blueberries in December, they're going to be disappointing. That's when it pays to go with the frozen version.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Also look for BOGO's (Buy one Get one Free) ~ I'm addicted to those. Often times I can get whole wheat pastas, whole wheat breads, etc like this. You do have to be careful with these as sometimes they aren't the best things for your diet. Keep that in mind when you shop for these. I'm lucky as my go-to grocery store usually has decent items on BOGO's.