How do you get arch support?

Options
I've been doing an aggressive program with a personal trainer for the last three weeks and my feet started bothering me. I have a significant amount of weight to lose, and my body has gone from 0 to 60 pretty quickly so there was bound to be some fallout.

Most of my soreness is in my arches, so I bought some arch supports at the drug store, but has anyone tried arch support socks? Do they work? Any help appreciated.

Replies

• LearnFromTheRed
    LearnFromTheRed Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I actually got fitted for running shoes. I know I over-pronate and decided not to risk it, having seen a friend end up with massive kneecap problems. It cost a bit, and running on a treadmill in public is an experience, but it's the best thing I ever did!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    That sort of thing could lead to plantar fasciitis, so maybe do a search on how to prevent that condition. Orthopedic inserts might be good, an you might a new pair of exercise shoes (if you are like many people who are new to exercise, I am guessing you are using old shoes in a new way, and they might not provide you with enough support). Also, plantar fasciitis is one of the few sports/overuse injuries where stretching seems to have been proven to help.
  • KReduced
    KReduced Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Please do not pay for ortho inserts! Get a good pair of shoes (asics in my opinion) and keep purchasing your drug store inserts. The drug store ones will need to be replaced every 3-6 months, so pay attention to your body. Also, to increase strength in your feet and arches I would put a tennis ball on the floor and roll it around with the particular spots on your foot that hurt.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Hello there! Please do not pay for ortho inserts! Get a good pair of shoes (asics in my opinion) and keep purchasing your drug store inserts. The drug store ones will need to be replaced every 3-6 months, so pay attention to your body. Also, to increase strength in your feet and arches I would put a tennis ball on the floor and roll it around with the particular spots on your foot that hurt.

I've had a pair of inserts (the brand is Superfeet, I believe) that have lasted me years. I paid about $15 for them, maybe a bit more, and it was a good investment. I also have some drug store ones that gave me calluses after 30 min of running that I had to throw away. You do get what you pay for sometimes.

OP, another thought: make sure you get plenty of rest between workouts. Do too much too soon, especially with higher-impact exercise, and you risk injury, which means you won't be able to stay active at all. Nice and easy does it.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted for proper running shoes & supports they suggest. The typical over the counter supports don't have the necessary strength or shape, but there are brands made for runners that are nearly as good as person orthotics, but much cheaper.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    All muscles and tendons will become sore & ache with new activity, and so will your weak and flaccid feet. The foot has 19 muscles, 107 ligaments, and 26 bones.

Build your body and dont ignore its base - your feet - walk barefooted and massage them. Research foot exercises.

Motion control and arch supports are crutches.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I've had a pair of inserts (the brand is Superfeet, I believe) that have lasted me years. I paid about $15 for them, maybe a bit more, and it was a good investment. I also have some drug store ones that gave me calluses after 30 min of running that I had to throw away. You do get what you pay for sometimes.

OP, another thought: make sure you get plenty of rest between workouts. Do too much too soon, especially with higher-impact exercise, and you risk injury, which means you won't be able to stay active at all. Nice and easy does it.

The pain/soreness came after a week of not resting a day, so I am taking it easier now. I just wish it would go away already! Thanks.
  • candylilacs
    Options
    All muscles and tendons will become sore & ache with new activity, and so will your weak and flaccid feet. The foot has 19 muscles, 107 ligaments, and 26 bones.

Build your body and dont ignore its base - your feet - walk barefooted and massage them. Research foot exercises.

Motion control and arch supports are crutches.

I suppose they are crutches because you're only supposed to use them a short amount of time. As for barefoot . . . I pretty much am barefoot any time I'm inside the house, not for any Eastern reason but because I just don't like wearing shoes. I think the tennis ball and massage are probably going to be my next phase. Thanks, all!
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have high arches and run and I use insoles. You should maybe thing about going to a running store for an evaluation. It could just be that you're wearing shoes. And, P.S., do it sooner than later because once your feet start hurting your entire body will start to hurt. Knees and hips will be next, trust me.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Ok, might be opening myself up for getting slammed here. I have very petite feet. 5'8" with a size 6 (US) shoe and I have very high arches. I've been running off and on for most of my adult life. When I started up again last January it went ok for a while, but then I started developing really bad hip and back pain. I tried everything, and ended up having to just stop running, and eventually all movement. I'm a highschool teacher and finally went down to the athletics trainer because my limp was getting so bad my students started commenting.

Turns out I had sort of dislocated my pelvic symphesis (sp?), he popped it back in to alignment, but it still took weeks for it to get to the point where I thought I might try running again. When I was ready to try I started looking in to what might have caused the problem. Basically, I made the decision to try moving towards "barefoot" running. I'm now running in a pair of shoes that basically look like a balet slipper with toes. You need to build up a lot of leg a foot strength to run in them or you can hurt yourself, but honestly, I transitioned in to them VERY easily so I would highly recommend them and I know they helped me focus on and correct what was a very bad running form.... Just something to think about, I love my barefoot shoes, and so far I feel like I'm putting a lot less strain on my joints than I did in traditional shoes.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    +1 for going barefoot as much as possible; since childhood, that's done more for my arches than any "supportive" shoes I've ever had. When I have to wear shoes, I usually wear the kind with Vibram soles (but not separate toes) -- even to dinner with the Governor. A bonus, after a few years of this, the bunion I developed from years of walking on tiptoe in pumps is starting to lessen on its own and I can wear the pumps again occasionally without too much pain.

If going barefoot and/or wearing minimalist shoes isn't a good option for you, the suggestions of getting fitted at a running shoe store are good imho. I hope you find good long-term relief.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I have fallen arches. I am starting to get bunions because of my arches. I go to my doctor and have custom made orthodics made. Unfortunately being unemployed right now I can't afford a new pair and really need them.

One post suggested you may be using old tennies for a new purpose. It is suggested to buy a new pair every three months. Expensive doesn't make them better, but do look for quality.
  • jazzygurl81
    jazzygurl81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not sure here you live, but I was fitted for athletic shoes at Fleet Feet, in Decatur, GA. They also added in some Super Feet supports. Yeah it was a little pricey, but with my knee problems, it was worth it.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Ok, might be opening myself up for getting slammed here. I have very petite feet. 5'8" with a size 6 (US) shoe and I have very high arches. I've been running off and on for most of my adult life. When I started up again last January it went ok for a while, but then I started developing really bad hip and back pain. I tried everything, and ended up having to just stop running, and eventually all movement. I'm a highschool teacher and finally went down to the athletics trainer because my limp was getting so bad my students started commenting.

Turns out I had sort of dislocated my pelvic symphysis(sp?), he popped it back in to alignment, but it still took weeks for it to get to the point where I thought I might try running again. When I was ready to try I started looking in to what might have caused the problem. Basically, I made the decision to try moving towards "barefoot" running. I'm now running in a pair of shoes that basically look like a balet slipper with toes. You need to build up a lot of leg a foot strength to run in them or you can hurt yourself, but honestly, I transitioned in to them VERY easily so I would highly recommend them and I know they helped me focus on and correct what was a very bad running form.... Just something to think about, I love my barefoot shoes, and so far I feel like I'm putting a lot less strain on my joints than I did in traditional shoes.

Dang, pelvic symphysis. Learn something new everyday! Where you in a lot of pain? I just checked it out at wikipedia and hurt just reading about it. Glad youre ok.

Im 6' and weigh 229 lbs and am a long time runner and have suffered with shin splints for years. When I read the book "Born to Run" by Christoper MacDonald I bought a pair of NB Minimus and couldnt believe the difference it made. I am now running in Merrell Vapor Gloves and only need them to protect my feet from abrasion. I often run early morning and cant see the small rocks until I step on them....hurts.

http://www.anotherfnrunner.com/2013/03/merrell-vapor-glove-review-if-you-think.html

What shoe are you running in?

BTW Read Born to Run if you havent. It's a good read for all who enjoy running. I hated when the book ended.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Oh the pain, you have NO IDEA! Seriously, students were stopping me in the hallway to make sure I was ok...still not entirely sure how I managed to do that?

I'm running in vibrams alitza's, it basically looks like a sock with some rubber on the bottom for grip. I taught functional morphology for a while so I understand muscle lever systems pretty well, and what I was reading about barefoot running just made sense to me from a physiological stand point so I decided to try it out. I knew I was a major heel thunker and figured that would force me to stop. I never expected to transition so easily though, I HATE being barefoot (still do) but I have no issues with running in the vibrams.
  • candylilacs
    Options
    I'm more of a cross-trainer rather than runner, but I think after investigating it only seems that running shoes seem to really cater to underpronators like me.

Thanks for all the suggestions!