Vegetable calorie chart per 100g?

Options
So we make a stir fry a lot, but we change the ingredients based on freshness and sometimes like to change it up. So usually i weight every vegetable and write it down on paper, then i have to google or mfp every one and then do the math. It just takes some time and i do it while cooking so its time sensitive. Then i add it in as a quick entry once i total up the meal calories, since we have like 10-12 vegetables it takes forever to log.

I am looking for some sort of calorie chart i can print out and put on my fridge that has all of the vegetables calories per 100g. Then i can just do the math quickly with the chart and not have to search each individual item.

I can't seem to find one online that is all 100g, some have crazy portions like half, or 1 spear. Im looking for something with a consistency of 100g all the way down.

Can anyone direct me to a chart? Thanks for the help.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't know about a chart, but if you learn to find the USDA entries in MFP (you will learn to recognize them, but until then you can use the way they are described here: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods), they all have 100 g options, so no math needed. If you use them frequently, they will be in recent and/or frequent foods, so after a week or so it becomes much easier. You can also enter them from the USDA information and save them in "My Foods."
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That is a great link, that will help. I was doing just quick add calories once i added up the entire meal since it had like 10-20 ingredients including sauce and oil and meat, so it was simpler that way. Maybe i will just start logging each individually, im already looking them up online, wouldn't take any longer to log i suppose.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    If you have some particular veggies that you use regularly, you could throw them into a recipe and then log the different ones separately.

Or if you save it as a meal, you can edit individual entries once it's logged - thus not having to constantly relog any veggies that you use regularly.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    One thing I do for meals that I eat frequently but for which I vary some of the individual ingredients (e.g., smoothies, oatmeal & stir-ins, meals at places like Chipotle where I might have chicken one time or just beans and rice another, etc.) is to enter the ingredients the first time I have it, and save it as a meal (click options under the meal in your diary and click "remember meal"). (FYI - a saved "meal," unlike a saved recipe, will log all the individual foods when you add it to your diary at a later meal, and you can edit out any foods you didn't use without editing the saved meal.)

The next time I have it, I log the saved meal, add any ingredients I used that time that weren't already in the meal, save the new version of the meal. After I save it, I delete any ingredients from my diary entry that were in the saved meal that I didn't use that time, and adjust any amounts that are different (e.g., 50 g instead of 70, etc.).

After you do this a few times, you will seldom have to look up anything to add any new ingredients, and it's a lot easier to delete ingredients you didn't use and adjust some weights of the ones you did than to start from scratch.

It sounds more complicated than it is. It saves me a lot of time, and I don't have to worry about checking entries from the database to be sure they're accurate, because I've already done that.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Good advice. The only thing is with like stir fry, I don't weigh out my portion of each vegetable, but the whole vegetable that goes in the dish and calculate the entire stirfry at say 1300 calories, then I weigh it when cooked and divide that by how many calories in the entire dish and get say 1.4 cal/gram and then I put the portion I want to eat in grams into my bowl then add the rice portion in cal. This works for us since my wife logs too, and we give the children their portions (not weighed). Its just having to do the math I have to google or mfp broccoli and figure out how many calories is in 86 grams, then search for onion at 34 grams. Having the chart on my fridge would let me just use a calculator and do the math real quick and not have to search the internet.

Thanks for all the help.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My stir-fry varies according to 'what I bought at the store last week until it runs out'. If I introduce a new vegetable, I look it up on the USDA site and put it in my plan at 50g. Otherwise, my plan is just a copy of the previous day and 1 or 2 changes as the meat variety changes. I print my plan and take the printed plan to the kitchen. As I weigh each item I note the actual weight on the printout as I'm chopping and tossing. After the meal, I take the marked-up paper back to the computer and re-enter accurate values for everything. It takes as much time as you imagine it does, to the exclusion of facebook games. What's not to love about that?