Anybody long term successful after following any prescriptive diet The "something" diet

Options
Sued0nim
Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
You know all those diets that come along with new, generally rule based ways of hitting your calorie goal (generally without counting) but they always have a name like "The x diet" and generally a tag line

Hands up if you've hit goal and maintained for at least a year following one of those

Which one and why did it work for you?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    is this an experiment?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Following. I'm a curious cat. h
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    When I started using MFP it was because someone mentioned it in an Atkins message board as a good tool to track carbs. So I lost about 15 pounds on Atkins and using MFP to track carbs, and paid a little attention to calories. I kept it off for about a year or so until I realized that I what I had really wanted was to lower my body fat percentage, not my weight, and went on a muscle gaining spree. I'm happier now weighing more and able to eat more while being the size I want to be.
  • Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    When I started using MFP it was because someone mentioned it in an Atkins message board as a good tool to track carbs. So I lost about 15 pounds on Atkins and using MFP to track carbs, and paid a little attention to calories. I kept it off for about a year or so until I realized that I what I had really wanted was to lower my body fat percentage, not my weight, and went on a muscle gaining spree. I'm happier now weighing more and able to eat more while being the size I want to be.

That's basically my story too. I used Atkins a few years ago to cut some weight fast (I was over 330 lbs). Did that for a year, then switched to clean eating/tracking macros.

Fad diets seem to be just that, a fad. I'm also curious to hear from others.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Oooh goody. Good question. Genuinely interested because anecdotally, amongst people I know/have known, nobody has maintained.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Actually, I did do South Beach my first go around in my early 30s...dropped 20 unwanted pounds pretty easily. Phase III of that is supposed to be a maintenance plan but I didn't treat it as such...put the weight back on plus another 20 until I got my crap together in my late 30s.

When I lost the 2nd time around I basically used phase III of SB as my informal template and have been maintaining for going on 3.5 years following the same basic template/formula...lots of whole foods, lean proteins, lots of veg, quality carbohydrates, and good fats...albeit I probably eat more carbs that the actual plan would dictate but I'm also an avid cyclist and lift...anyway I'm not sure if that actually counts or not.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite.

I lost 127 pounds using the Ideal Protein diet. For full disclosure, this is a VLCD that I did under medical supervision (weekly meetings with nurse, monthly meeting with doctor and blood work). I needed (for a variety of reasons) to get the weight off fast.

I have been maintaining for around 2 years. It helps that I had an exit plan - I started tracking while on the diet because I wanted to be in the habit. I also did a lot of learning about nutrition, exercise, etc. while I was losing because I was determined to keep it off.

It's not for everyone - it took a lot of work and dedication.

Bingo! Congrats on your weight loss and on maintaining since then. I think having an exit plan is the key for everyone who loses weight if the plan they are following to lose weight is not something they would continue to follow after hitting their target - whether it be a specific diet that comes with a title, or not. I lost a significant amount of weight back in 2010 and gained it all back because I didn't have an exit plan and just went back to old eating habits.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite.

I lost 127 pounds using the Ideal Protein diet. For full disclosure, this is a VLCD that I did under medical supervision (weekly meetings with nurse, monthly meeting with doctor and blood work). I needed (for a variety of reasons) to get the weight off fast.

I have been maintaining for around 2 years. It helps that I had an exit plan - I started tracking while on the diet because I wanted to be in the habit. I also did a lot of learning about nutrition, exercise, etc. while I was losing because I was determined to keep it off.

Bingo! Congrats on your weight loss and on maintaining since then. I think having an exit plan is the key for everyone who loses weight if the plan they are following to lose weight is not something they would continue to follow after hitting their target - whether it be a specific diet that comes with a title, or not. I lost a significant amount of weight back in 2010 and gained it all back because I didn't have an exit plan and just went back to old eating habits.

That's really the key, isn't it? The people who are successful have learned to balance their eating and exercise to maintain their goal weight. The ones who aren't usually go back to eating the way they were before losing the weight after a period of time. It can take longer for some than others depending on whether they completely returned to old habits or just ate a little over maintenance, of course. Most of the "named" diets don't teach maintenance. It's not in their best interest. It was actually one of the things that I liked about Atkins; it does have a built in exit strategy.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite.

Thanks! I worked with the nurse and my doctor to slowly transition off the diet so switching to maintenance wasn't a big shock. I've basically been careful to make my calories in fall in line with my calories out since then. Really simple, not always easy.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    is this an experiment?

Not really an experiment just so many posts on getting started about following the "x" diet and that fervent belief I remember from my yo-yoing decades. Always felt it was my fault they didn't stick

See lots of maintainers who have changed their activity and monitor their diets just wondering whether any of the "money making packages" anecdotally worked and if so why and why they never did for me
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Actually, I did do South Beach my first go around in my early 30s...dropped 20 unwanted pounds pretty easily. Phase III of that is supposed to be a maintenance plan but I didn't treat it as such...put the weight back on plus another 20 until I got my crap together in my late 30s.

When I lost the 2nd time around I basically used phase III of SB as my informal template and have been maintaining for going on 3.5 years following the same basic template/formula...lots of whole foods, lean proteins, lots of veg, quality carbohydrates, and good fats...albeit I probably eat more carbs that the actual plan would dictate but I'm also an avid cyclist and lift...anyway I'm not sure if that actually counts or not.

Me neither TBH ...did it just segue into your adherence

I suppose it's the prescriptions of packaged diets ...I'm cuious whether the fervour you feel at the start by following rules is mapped with comfortable long term success in reality
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Ok, I'll bite.

Was it the "ideal protein diet" or the regular check ins

The edit posts sounds interesting and more like traditional logging, do you stick to the dietary premises still.

And congrats hope your med issues are resolved
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    The Slim Fast diet worked beautifully for me at 19. I went from 225 to 165 in nine months, then maintained that for about two years. Then i stopped trying... and up the weight went again.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    The Slim Fast diet worked beautifully for me at 19. I went from 225 to 165 in nine months, then maintained that for about two years. Then i stopped trying... and up the weight went again.

9 months of shakes? Wow that's some dedication.
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    The only thing that has worked for me was understanding calories in calories out.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    @VintageFeline not so much dedication as the onset of disordered thinking about food and my body. It was a dark time in my life.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    @VintageFeline not so much dedication as the onset of disordered thinking about food and my body. It was a dark time in my life.

Ah yes, that would definitely explain it. I'm glad you came out the other side.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins. Lost 85 lbs. Bounced up and down but pretty much maintained for around 4 years.

Then I joined the workforce and started putting on weight again.