Dizziness when exercising in hot weather

Options
So I cannot seem to figure this one out. I can exercise normally when it is not too hot and I'm totally fine. Since England was struck with this heatwave, my exercise has gone downhill. I keep on getting dizzy when only 10 minutes in my workout, so I make sure I drink plenty. However, there is not much point in a high intensity cardio if you cannot finish because of these annoyances my body is putting me through.

Does anyone have experience with a similar problem? If so, how do you deal with it? Do you take more breaks during your workout (for example every ten minutes for a 45 minute or hour workout) or do you see it through?

I've had tests done and everything before I started with the workout program, everything is totally fine. Heart fine, blood fine, although I am prone to panic attacks (not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I don't feel anxious when working out, quite the opposite). Any tips for working out in warmer temperatures?

Replies

• medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    High intensity workout ARE stressing your body, so it very well could be anxiety. Honestly you would be able to answer this better than any of us though.

A lot people use dizzy and light headed interchangeably, but they're not quite the same.

Dizziness usually comes from the inner ear (think of something like vertigo, or if you've spun around really fast).

Since you said you're getting enough water, are you getting enough salt?
    Most people get somewhat light headed from lack of oxygen to the brain (either through low blood pressure, or too fast of a heart rate).

Light headed is feeling "faint" or like you're going to pass out. I'm kind of guessing THIS is what you're talking about (tends to happen more than actually getting dizzy from exercising).

Most people are pretty good about keeping their fluid intake up, but forget about the salt. When you sweat you lose salt, when it's hot out, you sweat more.
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The only way to describe it (and it's quite similar to the experience I get before a heavy panic attack): I get a jolt (similar to what you experience when something scares you) and then I lose my balance. I never have it during workouts, expect when it gets really warm.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that's not something I've ever heard of! You might want to make an appointment with an MD.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and panic attacks, exercise induced ones too. The heat can naturally elevate the heart rate more than usual, sending the panic signals erroneously. So although you're used tot he workout, the hotter conditions can scupper things a bit. Add in some dehydration and potentially being low on salt etc and you have what you have.

That would be my assumption if the doctor has cleared you of everything else.

I adjust to the heat pretty well now with my workouts though can have more anxiety than usual if it's very warm. I just lower the intensity a bit, modify what I'm doing for a period or switch to a much lower intensity workout altogether. It's rare we get weeks on end of lovely hot weather so just do what you can on the hotter days.
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Heat is serious. I consider myself quite fit, but when I'm working in heat I always lower the intensity a bit. I ran a race 5 years ago in Kansas city, I wanted to place near the top so we started off at a fast pace. Half way through I was getting lightheaded and dizzy, my vision was blurring at times. I took it as a hint and lowered the intensity. This was at 9 am. By 11 am they cancelled the race and 2 people dies from heat related illness that day. Listen to your body
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time. I can't workout in the heat. Nothing medically wrong...I just overheat. Turn red. Feel dizzy. Feel faint.

I have to stay cool.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with the heat! This is why I kept my gym membership going this summer. I can workout in the air conditioning. I still try to run though, my time has gone way down. Even running at 5am was a struggle this summer. I am asthmatic and have difficulty with my breathing in the hot humid weather. Bring on FALL!!!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Heat stresses the body. I slow down during the hotter days of summer. I run slower but for the same amount of time. Even though I run fewer miles during this time, when fall comes around I find I haven't lost any fitness ground and have even improved a bit. The heat adds its own cardio to the routine, even if you slow down.
    Keep doing what you can. Don't worry about taking it down a notch to enable you to get through your program.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I had this issue in the month of July. I slowed the intensity on the elliptical and did what I could. I was over heating so bad. First time I had ever experienced nearly passing out. I use to love the heat. I would sit outside all day, but this year was a no go. Don't stress over it. Just keep hydrated and do what you can. It may mean a slower weight loss for the month, but you will still be alive to see next month and you won't lose a beat.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Some people can handle less heat than others especially if they live somewhere it's normally cool. It would probably surprise you to hear that I regularly run 4-5 miles when it's 85F or higher but that's because there are many days here when the morning temperatures simply don't dip much below that. It takes me a little time in the Spring to get acclimated to the heat and those first couple of weeks I always wonder what is wrong with me that my usual workout is so difficult. By the time I realize the temperature is simply much higher and sapping my energy I'm usually over it and having a lot less trouble. I usually run in shorter intervals during the summer, too, because I get a chance to cool down a bit during the 1 minute walk intervals between. Staying hydrated and my electrolytes balanced is important every day, even rest days. The water you drink during a workout doesn't help if you're already dehydrated. It is possible that could be part of your problem? With a heat wave staying hydrated is really important.

All of that means to say that you probably just aren't used to it. You should probably discuss the situation with a medical professional to make sure there isn't something else going on but if you're cleared try some form of interval workout that lets you cool down a little between intervals of more intense activity and get plenty of water all day long, every day.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise in the heat. I avoid it by getting up to run in the wee hours of the morning, when it's still cool out.
  • santje00
    santje00 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I honestly did not think this many people actually struggled with exercising during heat, so that makes me feel a little more at ease knowing I'm not the only one. I'll take aboard some of the tips you had for me so far, such as decreasing intensity, monitor salt and water intake, etc. I'll start on my workout tonight and see how it goes. It's still rather hot, so I'll see how it goes with the tips.

Just on a side-note, how do you deal with a salt shortage? Whether nutrition wise or before or after training?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    santje00 wrote: »
    I honestly did not think this many people actually struggled with exercising during heat, so that makes me feel a little more at ease knowing I'm not the only one. I'll take aboard some of the tips you had for me so far, such as decreasing intensity, monitor salt and water intake, etc. I'll start on my workout tonight and see how it goes. It's still rather hot, so I'll see how it goes with the tips.

Just on a side-note, how do you deal with a salt shortage? Whether nutrition wise or before or after training?

They actually sell salt tablets. My dad used to keep them in his dojo for students to take if they needed them. Drinks like Gatorade are specifically made to replace the electrolytes lost in sweat so are a really good option when you need them.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    santje00 wrote: »

My body requires an unusually high amount of salt and I have a hard time getting what I need from regular foods, so I eat at least one dill pickle spear every day.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    There are tabs called Zero you can get on Amazon I keep on hand, though I rarely use them to be honest now my fitness level is such the exertion isn't what it was when I started. You could even just get the little electrolyte sachets for tummy bug recovery from the chemist. Dioralyte I think they're called.