Should I call my original weight loss goal quits? I can't seem to lose weight anymore. Opinions?

Options
Long story short, I began my weight loss journey in 2013 at around 190 pounds and a size 10-12. By 2015, I was 125 pounds and a size 0-2. After another official year of lifting weights, HIIT, and cycling below and at maintenance calories (but not over), I stopped losing weight and actually gained 10 pounds back without gaining inches back. No one notices a difference in my weight which I guess is good. I should probably just be happy, and accept that my body is done losing weight? Current stats, 5'6 and 135 pounds, still size 0-2. My original goal was 115 pounds. Should I call that off? Opinions? Honestly, I've recently been trying hard to lose the weight, but my weight continues to stay at 135 now no matter what. I consume 1400-1600 calories a day (usually closer to 1400). I'm a college student so some days I'm sedentary and some days I'm lightly active (this doesn't include workouts). In terms of workouts, I workout 4-5 days a week for 30-60 minutes, depending on the type of workout and intensity on that day. Point being, over the past year my weight has slowly gone up 10 pounds and am now 20 pounds over my original goal weight of 115 as opposed to last year when I was only 10 pounds away. My weight hasn't budged in over a month. What to do?

Replies

• kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and actually think I look pretty good at 130-135 - but my ultimate goal is somewhere around 125. I also had originally thought that I my UGW would be 110-115 but now I see it wouldn't be healthy for me.

You say you're lifting and working out a lot. Have you noticed body changes even though you haven't lost weight? Lifting has made the biggest difference in my body and I think it's one of the reasons I'm feeling comfortable at a higher weight than I thought I would.

I guess the real question is why do you want to lose another 20 lbs? Is it for the vanity number on the scale (I get that) or is there something in particular aesthetic wise that you need a lower BF% for?
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and actually think I look pretty good at 130-135 - but my ultimate goal is somewhere around 125. I also had originally thought that I my UGW would be 110-115 but now I see it wouldn't be healthy for me.

You say you're lifting and working out a lot. Have you noticed body changes even though you haven't lost weight? Lifting has made the biggest difference in my body and I think it's one of the reasons I'm feeling comfortable at a higher weight than I thought I would.

I guess the real question is why do you want to lose another 20 lbs? Is it for the vanity number on the scale (I get that) or is there something in particular aesthetic wise that you need a lower BF% for?

No aesthetic reason, honestly. I don't know what my current BF% is. Maybe it's just a determined mindset since I originally set a specific goal, which was the 115 pounds. Or maybe subconsciously I want to lose the weight now even more "just in case" I gain it back again. I really can't lower my calories anymore though. And I doubt I'm underestimating them. A majority of them are green vegetables, literally (which are low in calories). Even if I was slightly underestimating my calories, the activity amount and intensity I do should counter it, especially HIIT.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    115 would be underweight. I would stop losing if I were you. 135 is a healthy weight. Focus on composition and/or performance, not an arbitrary scale number.

This

Also, forgetting the scale fot a moment the question is, when you look at yourself in the mirror right now, are you happy with what you see?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    115 at 5'6 is way too low imho.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, if no particular reason requires you to be 115, like to make weight for a certain weight class, and you are happy with your current bodyshape and lifestyle, I think just keep an eye out on the weight and measurements then you are good.

I'm 5'3" 126, I admit that I am trying to cut a few more lbs but it is just because I ride bikes and the absolute poundage does matter when the slope goes upwards :-/
  • EmilyHops
    EmilyHops Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm right in the same boat as you, university student, 5'6 and 134lbs and been 'stuck' all summer, my lowest and now goal weight is 127lbs but to be honest I'd rather be happy and healthy than an arbitrary weight so I'm gonna stick to my plan and see what happens. I know I wouldn't be able to function let alone compete at 115lbs but everyone's different and has different goals, just be careful and listen to your body :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    narak_lol wrote: »
    Hi OP, if no particular reason requires you to be 115, like to make weight for a certain weight class, and you are happy with your current bodyshape and lifestyle, I think just keep an eye out on the weight and measurements then you are good.

I'm 5'3" 126, I admit that I am trying to cut a few more lbs but it is just because I ride bikes and the absolute poundage does matter when the slope goes upwards :-/

The goal of @VividVegan would be like you setting a goal of 105 lbs. That's not just cutting a few pounds.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    The goal of @VividVegan would be like you setting a goal of 105 lbs. That's not just cutting a few pounds.

You are right! Thanks for pointing this out, I'm sorry for not reading careful enough! No way I'll aim for 105, my body will not function properly :/
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and 115 and right at my even keel weight, and most might say I am under where I need to be. But my body type simply says its just fine.

So for you at 5'6" perhaps 115 is a bit low. It sounds like you have some confliction going on between what you want, what you should do and what you can do. For example, can't go lower in calories, means you like where you are in that aspect, but you subconsciously think you just need to loose more in case you gain it back..To me this means that maintenance has not quite stabilized in your mind and body.

I would give my self a little time to think about a realistic goal (maybe even a mini goal), maybe even take a break from it all for a short while. Really it is each their own on what you do, but instead of this "spot on" weight you envision, ask your self is it really what you want (more weight loss or additional body composition changes??, etc).

Maybe make a min goal and try to maintain that for a while before moving on to another, etc..
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I think you look awesome! perfect just as you are :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When I set MY weight loss goal, I used the old rule of thumb:
    5feet=100Lbs, then 5Lbs per inch. That made it 5'6"= 130Lbs.

I'm a 5'6" adult. 130 is my happy place. And that's pretty thin. I can't fathom 115.

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would concentrate on maintaining a healthy 135 lbs.
    115 is at the very lowest end of a healthy weight for your height. It would take work and patience to get there and constant work to maintain there. Sounds like you can pretty comfortably be at 135 and are not unhappy with your current size/shape. Why go lower just to be 115?

When I chose my goal weight I did not choose the lowest weight in my healthy range because I don't look and feel my best there. I also don't want to put in the effort to get there and stay there. I'm aiming for the middle healthy weight.

• mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    First of all awesome job losing so much weight in 2 years! Not putting on inches is a good indication that not all of that 10lb were fat - you are getting stronger - so that's something else to be happy about!

I personally think 115 might be a little too low.. My stats are similar - 5'6", 131lb, size 0/2. My lowest was 117 and that was when I was training really hard for a race and eating VERY lean, and spent a LOT of time and mental energy on fitness. And honestly - those last couple pounds are kind of overrated :)

I went through a similar struggle over the past 6 months - gained 8lb quite suddenly at beginning of 2016 from 123 to 131, clothes still fit, albeit a little tighter.. just couldn't take them off even though I was netting 1,200-1,400 per day. I was obsessed and struggling. Over the past month, I've now come to terms with it, ditched the scale, just eating/training/tracking diligently. My thigh measurement might have gone down by half an inch or so but it doesn't matter any more.. Healthy and stress-free is more important! 135 is not a bad place to be esp since you are lifting weights!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    VividVegan wrote: »

No aesthetic reason, honestly. I don't know what my current BF% is. Maybe it's just a determined mindset since I originally set a specific goal, which was the 115 pounds. Or maybe subconsciously I want to lose the weight now even more "just in case" I gain it back again. I really can't lower my calories anymore though. And I doubt I'm underestimating them. A majority of them are green vegetables, literally (which are low in calories). Even if I was slightly underestimating my calories, the activity amount and intensity I do should counter it, especially HIIT.

If you decided to try to maintain a lower weight you'd definitely have to eat a lot less to be able to do that. IMHO, you've made a really good decision to increase muscle now you just need to let it sink in that a number on the scale is an arbitrary measurement of health and fitness.

How large is your bone structure? It's a bit difficult to tell from your picture but you don't look to have a small frame. I can tell you that it makes a big difference in how you carry your weight. My sister and I are about the same height and size but she weighs significantly less than me because I'm really large framed (built like our dad) and she has tiny little bird bones (built like our mom).

As a few others have mentioned, how you feel about your looks and maintaining your current body should be a deciding factor for you. I know it's really hard to get out of the mindset of losing weight and on to maintaining and I think it might be that change that's giving you apprehensions about settling where you are right now. You might want to try to analyze what about it is giving you the most trouble. Is it not having a goal? Is it about fear of regaining more weight? What could you do to alleviate those fears? Set a new goal that isn't weight based, perhaps?. Learn a new sport which has challenges you could overcome? Continue to log your food at a calorie goal that is 25 or 50 calories under maintenance to give you a little wiggle room?
  • angryyrobot
    angryyrobot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    OP, it sounds like you are doing exercises that are causing you to gain muscle and that's why your weight went up but you are still the same dress/pants size.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    the fact that you are gaining slowly and not gaining actual size means you are gaining muscle, you should be for the work outs you are doing. In other words great news keep going! Maybe you should get a good fit bit scale or such like and focus more on body fat % rather than weight.