Losing weight for the National Guard

Options
Need help and motivation for anyone in my situation or that has been through it. I need to lose at least 30-40 lbs and like 7 inches off of my waist. What I want to know is what are good exercises to help me attain my goal? I need tips for at home workouts, as for I cant afford a gym membership. I may try the C25K workout again and also download map my run to help me with each of my milestones. As of now I weigh in at a sad 278 lbs. I also have a waist trimming belt that I bought, hoping that helps with slimming down my waist.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Can you return the waist trimming belt? That was just a waste of money and won't do anything for you - in fact it can have the complete opposite effect and actually make your core weaker. Don't use it. Am I correct that for the National Guard you go to the same training as the regular military? So you'll need to do a lot of running, pushups and situps. Some people say not to do strength training because the muscle built can hinder the pounds lost but I think that's bad advice - especially with as many inches as you need to drop.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more Keep to the calories MFP gives you. Sounds easy but it's not. It is worth it and I have lost 44 lbs.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Are you in any sort of entry program for the NG like its delayed entry program (DEP) and/or College First? If so, besides PT your recruiter should be hooking you up with, you may be able to gain free access to the gym and its trainers if there is a military base/garrison/installation near you. Talk to your recruiter about it if applicable.

When I was 28/29 I dropped more than 30 pounds for Active Duty without changing anything other than diet over approximately four months. Which was a mistake for the entry DAPFT but I passed the RAPFT fine after nine weeks of PT formations and a lot of land nav. And it undoubtedly helped I was in a job where I was on my feet and moving a solid eight hours a day as well as sometimes having to lift/hold/move 50+ lbs routinely pre-entrance.

What I did was Atkins New Diet Revolution (NDR) as published in 2002. Caveat worth mentioning: I'd never dieted before trying NDR to lose the weight I needed for the military. I did it by the book and since, luckily, there were no "online support forums" I did not get sidetracked and/or derailed by what others did/did not do. If you decide to try similar/go a low carb route to help with any hunger issues that pop up, get a 2002 edition, read it cover to cover before starting, then do it by the book (as written and only as written and not adding/subtracting/"tweaking" in any manner) including climbing the ladder to determine how much carb you can eat and still lose or maintain or gain, and you should see similar if not better results since you are a strapping young man.

If I hadn't fallen into that trap of herd mentality because of spending too much time in the forums later on, who knows...maybe I would have never gotten fat after tobacco cessation when I was shoving thousands of calories above my TDEE into my pie hole to keep myself from caving because, hey, it was all low carb foods I'd been eating for the past ~3 years before then so therefore I shouldn't gain but a little weight. The bottom line is calories count, even if low carb.