5 hours to exercise each day - what should I do?

Options
College student with a very light courseload. I have 5 hours and access to the school gym.

Need to go from 142 -> 115 lbs. Female, 5'3".

Advice for what my workout plan should be? (I'm doing a basketball class and also training for a half marathon that's in a couple of months)

Replies

• triciamca
    triciamca Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't workout hardcore that amount of time. Trust me. You will mess up your body. It's never really talked about, but there's a too much with exercise and there is exercise addiction. Found that out the hard way. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-truth-about-exercise-addiction/201503/yes-you-can-get-addicted-exercise
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Basketball + marathon training seems to have your cardio taken care of. I would add a beginner strength training program like SL 5x5, Starting Strength, NROLW, etc. Others will have more suggestions I'm sure. And like the person above me says, just because you have 5 hours doesn't mean you need to work out 5 hours. That would probably do more harm than good.
  • RainyDayBrunette
    RainyDayBrunette Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Weights and yoga! And a nice rest period.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Find a decent strength training program training that takes 45-60 mind then study, relax, job search for the rest of the time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Find a decent strength training program training that takes 45-60 mind then study, relax, job search for the rest of the time.

I would add - meal prep during some of that time. Losing weight is about how much you take in vs burn off. You don't need to exercise for hours on end. You can do that and still not lose weight if you are maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do what you like. Don't get burned out.

These days I regularly do 1.5 hour on the stationary bike (watching Netflix) and a 4.5-5 miles walk BUT it took me a long time to get there, and I still need rest days because my legs get really tired after a few days at that regimen.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Actually if you do this everyday you will be in good shape.

dd7s3lavvok9.png
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

dd7s3lavvok9.png

Only if OP wants their hair to fall out.

OP, I second the others who are saying to find something that uses maybe an hour, and use the rest of that time for other productive things. Studying, volunteering, resting, working, etc.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    1/2 marathon is in a couple of months (i.e. 8 weeks?). I would be running already. I would also cross train while HM training. This will help your running. Pick a strength training program you might like.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    turtlemt20 wrote: »
    College student with a very light courseload. I have 5 hours and access to the school gym.

Need to go from 142 -> 115 lbs. Female, 5'3".

Advice for what my workout plan should be? (I'm doing a basketball class and also training for a half marathon that's in a couple of months)

First of all, don't exercise for for that long. You will do more harm than good.

Pick an exercise you like and try for an hour or so.

However, if you want to lose weight, you need to eat less calories than you expend. With so little to lose, aim for a half pound a week.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

dd7s3lavvok9.png

Sit-ups (and crunches) are now pretty much discouraged by everyone.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/want-a-stronger-core-skip-the-sit-ups
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I workout 45 minutes to 1 hour in the gym 5 days a week. You really don't need more than that. The vast majority of your weight loss is done in the kitchen. I would always recommend lifting, but that is what I like. It reallly depends on what you want to do, what you enjoy, what you want your body to look like.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Replace sit ups (and I meant crunches but sit ups are part of the joke) with bicycle kick crunches and Roman leg lefts.
    Push ups, and planking are great.
    squats are still good.
    Running, biking, and/or walking. (Do interval training, so push hard for short periods of time when you do this for better results)

You don't need a gym for this and you can keep up this after school too.
    I would aim for an hour or less also. This will help you keep a good exercise regime after you graduate.

All this or play sports and/or do some exercise classes.
  • turtlemt20
    turtlemt20 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks all
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

This! Check out Stronglifts 5X5 at stronglifts.com. Download the app. Use it to track your workout at the gym. Stick with it for at least 4 months, and reap the rewards! :p
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Beginner weight lifting is good - and will definitely help with learning to run with tired legs if you do it before you run. Otherwise, if I were you I'd use that time for foam rolling, flexibility work, and to work on form and balance if you need it.

And rest. Mainly, with all the other work, I'd advocate rest.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Another vote for beginner strength training program and meal prep. Yoga has many benefits as well.