When was your "Aha!" moment?

Options
2»

Replies

• Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    5.5 years ago--pants didn't fit. I started some simple workouts first (cardio & body weight), then added calorie counting about a week later. I did really well, losing 46 lbs in about 7 months. Then I skipped a period, and over the next 9 months gained almost 70 lbs. I lost 30 of that overnight and then maintained for a while. I started losing again when I was ready, and then skipped another period at around the 15 lbs mark. Then gained 30 lbs, had a rapid 20 lb loss, and yo-yo'd for a while. Since March I've recommitted and also taken measures to prevent any additional rapid 9-month weight gain situations. I'm almost back down to where I was 5 years ago.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ryry_ wrote: »
    My Aha moment was getting rid of the all or nothing mindset. Started aiming for maximum of 1 lb loss / week (would usually start with at least two) and even if I had a higher calorie week and only lost 1/2 a pound or even maintained so what.

My only rules were maintenance was my ceiling for the week. No moving backwards and no giving up.

-- I agree to a T- once I realized that one snack or day or whatever wasn't sabotaging everything, I was successful and stopped getting mad at myself
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    When my pants stopped fitting and I refused to buy a size bigger!! :pensive:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    My Aha moment was realizing how much more effective bot high activity is over low calorie for me. Both for weightloss, fitness and sport.

Just walk everywhere (jncluding as I type this) and mix in bodyweight exercise throughout my day. Get up from my chair in the office? Quick 10 pushups.

Switched from an overly restrictive diet of 1500 net eating 1700 to 1700 net eating 2400.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I started completely by accident. I went to run some errands one morning and when I got home I realised that I hadn't eaten breakfast. As it was lunch time I had some baked beans on wholemeal toast (no butter) and wondered how many calories were in it. So I logged it, and then I just kept on logging which made me choose healthier options to make better use of my calories. Now I'm almost at the end of week 6 and going strong!
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My "aha"moment was when I stopped doing hours of cardio and started weight lifting. Fat melting away revealing toned muscles. Cardio just left me sick and untoned.

Cardio is good for heart health. Weight training is what changes your overall shape.
  • iamom507
    iamom507 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I realized that I was thisclose to needing the seatbelt extender on airplanes and if I was in the seats that were metal on both sides (usually bulkhead or exit row), it was complete agony for the entire trip being wedged in like a sausage! Took a trip in late July and I had belt to spare!

Next goal is not having my big arms touching my poor husband on flights! He should not have to have less space because I take up too much.
  • goodwork72
    goodwork72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Stopping drinking alcohol.

Once I had done this I realised that it was the calories in alcohol that were keeping me from my ideal weight. Without alcohol I am far less likely to make bad food choices or over eat refined carbs to ease a hangover!
    Without alcohol I make the time for and have the right attitude to workout.

I wish I had done it years ago!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    I couldn't zip up a particular cycling jacket.

I figured I'd just buy a new one but they were more expensive than when I got mine, and so I figured it would cost less to lose weight.