Allergy food substitutes, any ideas???

Options
I have a peanut allergy.
Allergic to bananas, mangos, cantaloupe, pineapple, orange, carrots, cucumbers.
What else that is heathy can I eat? Or use? I might as well live in a bubble.

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Meat, dairy, grains, and a ton of other fruits and vegetables. Aside from cucumbers, I rarely eat any of the foods you mentioned.
  • mayra_c06
    mayra_c06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll be looking into all the other food I can eat.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    peanuts > roasted chickpeas
    Bananas > artificial banana flavouring in a whey protein shake
    Mangos/Cantaloupe > Peaches, Nectarines
    Carrots > Parsnips, Sweet Potato
    Cucumber > Zucchini, Courgette, Celery, Bok Choy

I can't think of a decent replacement for pineapple or the citrus fruits. But the produce section is a virtual cornucopia. I suggest you try a new fruit and vegetable every week. It will take you a long time to run out of new choices unless you live in Alaska.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Other nuts, sunflower seeds, apples, pears, cherries, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, watermelon, peaches, sweet potatoes, zucchini, radishes, turnips, lettuce, kale, collard greens, butternut squash, acorn squash, eggplant, onions, cabbage, meat/fish, eggs, cheese, yogurt, whole grains, ...
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Adding: I talked to my dad about this thread and he tells me that Tangerines are unrelated to oranges. When his food restriction (for kidneys) would not allow him oranges any more, he could still have Tangerines.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is allergic to peanuts. He's always been. He can have almonds no problem, so he eats almond butter instead of peanut butter.
  • ellielittlewood20
    Options
    Other than the brilliant food substitutions above, anything green is usually a good thing! I've got IBS so my body can randomly decide it can't deal with random foods, but have found that getting lots of veg and stir frying it together (with appropriate protein and carbs to go with) is a good way to try new foods/substitutions and is also really good for you.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    mayra_c06 wrote: »
    I have a peanut allergy.
    Allergic to bananas, mangos, cantaloupe, pineapple, orange, carrots, cucumbers.
    What else that is heathy can I eat? Or use? I might as well live in a bubble.

Fruit and veg wise, you still have plenty of choice - celery asparagus, squash, peppers, leafy salads, brassicas (cauli, broccoli, cabbage etc), apples, pears, plums, peaches, cherries, berries and soft fruit....

Peanut - well peanuts are legumes, so that doesn't automatically mean you're allergic to tree nuts, though you can't guarantee they're processed in a factory that doesn't handle peanuts unless the packaging specifically says so. Houmous is nice used like you would use (unsweetened) peanut butter (ie not with grape jelly!) in a sandwich, on toast, or as a dip.

Though, can I ask whether your allergies were diagnosed by a qualified medical practitioner or a woo peddler? Makes a difference, like, particularly as they seem a little random.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Adding: I talked to my dad about this thread and he tells me that Tangerines are unrelated to oranges. When his food restriction (for kidneys) would not allow him oranges any more, he could still have Tangerines.

I saw your accidental comment in another topic and hunted this down.

The reason tangerines are allowed and oranges aren't is because oranges are high in potassium, while tangerines are not.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Cool, thanks.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have a peanut and tree nut allergy too. I do not usually eat pineapple, mango, etc. because they bother me. I do not eat carrots on a regular basis. Go for apples, broccoli, spinach, watermelon, grapes, salads, etc. There are a ton of fruits and vegetables with nutrients.