Pain caused from walking - cause and ways to avoid?

Options
Hi everyone!

When I walk, either for extended periods of time (30+ min) or walk quicker than normal (3+mph), I get a pain in my foot. It's in the top front area where the foot meets the leg and forms an "L". It is an achy pain - not sharp, and it doesn't go away with stretching.

When we first purchased a treadmill, I immediately started walking at around 3.5 - 4mph, without giving my body time to adjust to the new exercise. After about two weeks, that top part of my foot, in the crease of the "L" was bruised and sore.

This time around, I've been easing myself into walking, building up my distance at a lower speed, and gradually increasing. However, I am noticing some of the pain is still cropping up. I did some looking online, and it looks like it may be coming from my EHL tendon - on each foot, the pain is on the side of my big toe.

My question is - has anyone else experienced this? If so, what is causing the pain, and are there any ways to prevent it / help alleviate existing pain? I'm 5'6", and am currently at 294 lbs., if that helps.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you should go see a doctor about it. Sounds like you might have sprain/strained something.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Do you have bunions, even slight ones? Does this happen only on the treadmill or also when walking on the ground? At your current weight, it could be almost anything and likely will improve as you lose weight. I started at 5'7" and 301 with significant foot, knee, & hip pain when walking even short distances. It has all disappeared with weight loss.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build gradually is best. The other thing to check out are shoes, both the ones you walk in and the ones you don't. I started having pain on the right side of my ankle and feared that it was a running injury after I had worked my way up to several miles daily. It turned out to be my favorite pair of sandals that I was wearing for my evening walks. I ditched them and was cured.
  • mnvicke
    mnvicke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you should go see a doctor about it. Sounds like you might have sprain/strained something.

Thanks for the input! I know it's not a sprain - I've had sprains (and breaks) before, and this is nothing at all like them. However, I did look up strains, and I came across this:

"The symptoms of extensor tendonitis tend to be confined to the top of the foot, occasionally spreading to the arch of the foot:

1) Top of Foot Pain: Tends to be worse with activity and better with rest. The top of the foot maybe tender to touch making it uncomfortable wearing shoes

2) Swelling and/or Bruising: There may be some visible swelling and/or bruising across the top of the foot

A simple test for extensor tendonitis is to try and draw your toes up towards you while resisting the movement with your hand. If that recreates your pain on top of foot, you probably have the condition."

This is a possibility. The same site I found this has a bunch of suggestions for ways to alleviate the pain and prevent it, so I'll give them a try. Thanks again!!
  • mnvicke
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Do you have bunions, even slight ones? Does this happen only on the treadmill or also when walking on the ground? At your current weight, it could be almost anything and likely will improve as you lose weight. I started at 5'7" and 301 with significant foot, knee, & hip pain when walking even short distances. It has all disappeared with weight loss.

Hi! No bunions at all, but I do have low arches. It happens both on the treadmill and the ground. I'm wondering if it may be related to how I walk. Usually, ever step I take, I pull my toes up towards me before my foot touches the ground. As I type this, I realize that sounds really odd. I don't know how better to describe my gait other than referencing marching band - when I was in it, we were taught to land on the heel of our foot and roll the foot forward, pulling the toes back. It creates a smooth, gliding step, and eliminates the "bounce" you get with a less rounded step. Obviously, I don't walk as strictly as someone marching, but the whole "pulling your toes back" must have stuck with me.

That's great that your pain has gone away with your loss! Gives me hope that mine will, too! Thank you so much!!
  • mnvicke
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Start slow and build gradually is best. The other thing to check out are shoes, both the ones you walk in and the ones you don't. I started having pain on the right side of my ankle and feared that it was a running injury after I had worked my way up to several miles daily. It turned out to be my favorite pair of sandals that I was wearing for my evening walks. I ditched them and was cured.

The shoes I wear for walking are the same shoes I wear 95% of the time. They are LL Bean shoes that are a combination design for walking / hiking / snow. Since wearing them (at the plea of my husband to stop wearing "crappy and non-supportive" shoes!), I have noticed my knee and back pain have dramatically subsided. I do wear cloth ballet flats twice a week for a costumed volunteer position I hold.

I'll try to keep an eye on if my feet hurt more after I wear the cloth shoes or not, and if so, I'll try to find something more supportive that I can wear on those days.

I did see one article that suggests loosening your shoestrings to help alleviate the pain - I think I'll give that a try, too. Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Bruising at the top of foot would suggest the shoes are laced too tight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    mnvicke wrote: »

Hi! No bunions at all, but I do have low arches. It happens both on the treadmill and the ground. I'm wondering if it may be related to how I walk. Usually, ever step I take, I pull my toes up towards me before my foot touches the ground. As I type this, I realize that sounds really odd. I don't know how better to describe my gait other than referencing marching band - when I was in it, we were taught to land on the heel of our foot and roll the foot forward, pulling the toes back. It creates a smooth, gliding step, and eliminates the "bounce" you get with a less rounded step. Obviously, I don't walk as strictly as someone marching, but the whole "pulling your toes back" must have stuck with me.

That's great that your pain has gone away with your loss! Gives me hope that mine will, too! Thank you so much!!

Sounds like it definitely could be your gait.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    If you can, add swimming. No impact. No wiping sweat.
    I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my feet so I have to limit walking as a form of exercise. One foot surgery is a enough for me.
  • mnvicke
    Options

This evening, I finally showed my husband how I walk (without shoes on) and he agrees - he says my gait is not normal at all! :smiley:

I guess I'm going to be re-learning how to walk better. And loosening my shoelaces. Thanks everyone for all your help!!

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Google lacing shoes or ask at a running shoe store-you want loose in toe box but then snug over top of foot. Quite doable.

Maybe a gait analysis with a physio therapist is in order.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Try the Lanyard lacing technique. It will take pressure off the top of your foot (from lacing) and help your foot relax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DkCoG6n8vk
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »

The shoes I wear for walking are the same shoes I wear 95% of the time. They are LL Bean shoes that are a combination design for walking / hiking / snow. Since wearing them (at the plea of my husband to stop wearing "crappy and non-supportive" shoes!), I have noticed my knee and back pain have dramatically subsided. I do wear cloth ballet flats twice a week for a costumed volunteer position I hold.

I'll try to keep an eye on if my feet hurt more after I wear the cloth shoes or not, and if so, I'll try to find something more supportive that I can wear on those days.

I did see one article that suggests loosening your shoestrings to help alleviate the pain - I think I'll give that a try, too. Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it!

I would look into getting the lightest weight shoe that still provides the support you need. Hiking/snow shoes are usually much heavier than normal trainers and can cause issues due to the repetitive lifting of the foot in relatively heavy footwear.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

This evening, I finally showed my husband how I walk (without shoes on) and he agrees - he says my gait is not normal at all! :smiley:

I guess I'm going to be re-learning how to walk better. And loosening my shoelaces. Thanks everyone for all your help!!

What sort of training does your husband have to evaluate a "normal": gait? As suggested get it checked by a doctor who then may refer you to a physical therapist to look at your movement patterns.

Best of luck.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I would seek a medical professionals opinion. Personally I'd see a chiropractor as they will not just throw pills at you and tell you to rest. Sounds like possible old sprains and breaks may have caused an alignment issue - which a good chiropractor can help fix.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I'd see s podiatrist. They can check how you walk. It might be something simple like the instep of your shoes being too low, or you might need more.specific support, particularly if your arches have fallen.

I was referred to a podiatrist by a physiotherapist. Neither physiotherapist nor podiatrist have plied me with pills, given that neither is qualified to do so.