Does weight matter that much?

Options
When I joined this site my only goal was to lose the 30lb I had gained back in the past year. Previously I'd lost 86lb and didn't want to gain any more back.

As I've been on this journey though I've decided for me that there are other things more important. I'd rather have my goal clothes fit and get my body fat percentage in a healthy range of 25% or below.

When I started strength training at 20lb away from original goal my loss slowed dramatically but, I'm losing more inches and getting stronger. At first I panicked and fixated on my weight loss goal and almost gave up to eat at a larger deficit without building strength just so I could see the scale move. I don't think its good to be so hung up on weight that the other triumphs towards better health get ignored now.

Replies

• selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    Agreed - Im less concerned about the scales and more interested in clothes fit.
  • austinsneeze
    austinsneeze Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You're right, a lot of people gain muscle and don't "lose" weight but the inches drop dramatically, and the body looks more toned :)
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    well you can always find bigger clothes. to me its how i look.........naked :o and the scale.
  • OneWayOnlyCycles
    OneWayOnlyCycles Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    At my age, not that I'm old or anything like that, I am concerned about my joints. I am concerned about the stress that getting out and enjoying the activities I love puts on my joints. The less you weigh, the easier it is to do the things you love!!
    Your heart is also a real thing to be concerned about! Yes weight matters. Sure, some people live an active lifestyle, eat healthy and exercise and die young anyhow. WHY USE THAT AS AN EXCUSE!
    Diabetes can sneak up on anyone! An overweight person can develop diabetes and then there is no going back!
    If you take care of all of the above then your clothes will fit as they are supposed to.
    I personally watch the scale. Pounds can creep back so quickly, especially when you are over 40.

Take care my friends!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You have exactly the right perspective. Size and muscle mass matter much more than the number on a scale. Even BMI isn't really a good measurement of health because it's possible to have an "overweight" BMI while having a body fat percentage in the teens (and lower for men); a lot of body builders are like this.
  • hypodonthaveme
    hypodonthaveme Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think it all matters. If I need to reach a certain weight to have a " normal" BMI and to have healthy organs then weight matters. But being normal weight isn't everything. I think you need to be toned some as well to the best of your ability ( depends on age, ailments, etc). I personally am nearing the 60 lbs loss mark and only 9 lbs from my goal. I know I look much better and am in great health according to my Dr. But I also know I need toning. Just not liking some areas. But I won't get hung up on either weight or inches. I am quite happy getting to where I am now. So I think they both matter.

I do feel it's a preference. For me, I needed to get this weight off to be healthy. So that is what I focused more on when I started this journey. My husband is focused on fitting into smaller clothes. So he is focused on inches. We will both reach our goals, but in different ways.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I aim for a bf% (within reason) When I was 240lbs yeah, it mattered to track progress etc. but not as much as now. I don't really even weigh myself when I'm cutting unless I think something isn't right.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It was all bout the weight and the weight number on the scale in number in the beginning.

I think when you have a load you need to get off the body per se so you can see what you look like underneath, the scale helps that process as weight numbers is all you really have.

I think the leaner a person gets or morover to their goal, a person may be looking at body composition or for some its getting into the pair of jean hanging up in the closet, or there really is a spot on number to reach no matter what.

All personal choice, but it was my only indicator at first. but no longer.
  • Pattycake755
    Pattycake755 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Celebrate your success whether it is weight loss or loss of inches. This is not my first rodeo, so I have been on both sides. People who are obese (i.e. 50lbs+ over a normal weight) tend to be happier about overall weight loss. But it doesn't make them wrong or better! I have noticed that people with a smaller amount of weight to lose tend to feel happier than their heavier counterparts about inches and how their clothes fit. But this doesn't make them wrong or better! I think that is because we are trying to get to a normal healthy weight and in doing so we will have to change wardrobes anyway. lol

I agree with @zyxst and @hypodonthaveme both perspectives are equally important.

"Fat is threatening my life and I want to lose it!"
  • Pattycake755
    Options
    Oh I forgot to mention that your perspective for the last 20lbs is great. You should not worry about the scale. I am sure that when you needed to lose 86lbs, you wanted to see the scale move, but now that you are only 20lbs away, strength training and diet will help you to comfortably wear your goal clothes even if it takes a little longer. I am sure someone explained to you that this would happen--the difference between weight loss and fat loss. You are probably still losing fat and it is being replaced with muscle, thus inches loss.

Just know that you are worth working for [strength training] and waiting for [a toned you that will look good in your goal clothes]!
  • Pattycake755
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. Its nice to see different takes on this and I guess it really comes down to where we are on our journey.

For me I am around 9lb above the healthy weight range set by my doctor, originally my maim goal was to hit the middle of that range, with a bmi of between 26-27, my body fat according to my recent scan is also between 26-27%. With where I'm at my goals make a lot of sense. If I were 40lb away from a healthy range with a bfp above 30% I'd probably still be focused more on the scale.

Absolutely!
  • Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Weight is a number I can see change daily and is the factor in seeing if I'm "healthy" or not. Doctors don't care that I have muscle definition, can lift 50#, and/or walk 10 miles a day. If my weight number is higher than 136#, I get the OMGDEATHFAT talk.

Maybe it's time to have the OMGNEWDOC talk.

(Seriously, OMGDEATHFAT is one of the funniest things I've seen all week, and it's been a pretty good week for humor.)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm less than 2 lbs from the top of the healthy BMI scale. I personally would be 100% fine with where I am now from a health perspective, but I face a 30% fine on my health insurance if I am overweight at all. So I'm going to lose at least 5 more pounds to remove that risk.

For me, going lower carries significant risk to my emotional health. I had seriously disordered eating and thinking patterns as a teenager.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm less than 2 lbs from the top of the healthy BMI scale. I personally would be 100% fine with where I am now from a health perspective, but I face a 30% fine on my health insurance if I am overweight at all. So I'm going to lose at least 5 more pounds to remove that risk.

For me, going lower carries significant risk to my emotional health. I had seriously disordered eating and thinking patterns as a teenager.

I had an eating disorder when younger so I'm grateful for my new perspective. I was convinced I needed to be a certain weight to match the other girls, but my frame is a little larger and I'm muscular so it never happened.

I wish you all the best in your recovery and healthier life
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think weight is such a big deal at some point. I mean, I gained 5 pounds back (I think?) in the last 2 years, but I've lost inches.