Looking to purchase home gym - need recommendations please

Options
Hi. I'm looking for recommendations for a home gym.
I bought a weider cable trainer earlier this week, but returned it because there was no warranty, and got worried.
My son thinks we absolutely need a smith machine. But honestly, I've got no clue.
I'm almost ready to say forget it, and stick with running (and my new elliptical)

HELP?!?!

Please post links, model #s, pics, etc

THANK YOU!

Replies

• fleur23xx
    fleur23xx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a PowerBlock and loving it so far! It's definitely expensive so it's an investment, but when you add up all the money you would spend on individual weights that you most likely will outgrow sooner or later, it is worth it. Just type Powerblock on amazon or Dick's sporting goods.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    smith machine??!
    power rack, plates, barbell and a bench is a good start.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    $40

I have these and enough 10lb plates to make 2 80lb dumbbells which is plenty for most home use applications. Other than that I just go to the gym.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    You can get a lot of bang from the buck in exercise variety with a suspension trainer. TRX is the most advertised and hence well known but there are others out there lower cost and some rated as good or better.

Google suspension trainer reviews to learn what is out there. Will be $200 or less
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider free weights. I bought a Vectra home gym years ago and mainly use the cable part for accessory lifts now. This is because I found better full body results with free weights.

Dick's sells a half rack for around $300 (also a separate adjustable bench). The rack also has a pull-up bar that you can use for various pulls and hanging leg raises. You can attach a suspension system or bands for additional training. And, of course, you can safely train with a barbell. It also has storage for your barbell and weights.

I would invest in a quality Olympic barbell. Mine is about 35lbs (women's bar--smaller grip) that I bought from a crossfit supplier in my area. I bought a second Olympic bar with weight set combo from Sports Authority for about $200. I use that 45# barbell for Landmine work (You can buy a Landmine sleeve on Amazon for around $30 to use with any Olympic barbell).

Other items might be 25# bumper plates, 25# kettlebell (TJMAXX sells 10# and 15#), dumbbells as well as the bands and suspension (TRX) system mentioned above.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Do NOT buy a smith machine it is the worst peiece of equipment ever invent.

I would get a power rack, barbell, plates and a bench. This will let you squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, row (all the most important lifts).
  • jaybird1705
    jaybird1705 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I bought a WaterRower because this one piece of equipment works 84% of your muscle groups. I row 5 miles (8,076 meters) per day and have lost 56 pounds and maintain about 7% body fat.zyus1gb5lwnt.jpeg
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    check Craigs List in your area. There is usually someone who is selling benches and weights. I have a Body Solid multi stack cable. But that's more so I can work out at home without a spotter. I do have an Olympic bar and dumbbells along with a bench that has leg lift on it also.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    smith machine??!
    power rack, plates, barbell and a bench is a good start.

This plus some dumbbells, treadmill, and yoga mat is what I have in my home gym and it's everything I will ever need.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells will get you going on strength and there are dozens of exercises that include them!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Agree that you should NOT buy a Smith machine; too expensive, too big and too limited in terms of use . . . and difficult to resell.

Simplest is best.

Just depends on how much room you have available, how much you want to spend and what kinds of exercise you enjoy doing most.

If you don't enjoy it, you won't use it. I've got over $6k "invested" in my home gym - - mostly in lifting gear but I also spent $1k each on a Lemond spin bike and a Concept 2 rower.

I use all of my lifting gear (except the used adjustable dumbell set I bought because I prefer barbell work, but it only cost me $100 & it's there if I need it). However, I haven't used my spin bike ever since I bought the rower(because I discovered that prefer rowing to riding).

So just figure out what you really want/need and go from there.

You can save money buying used off of Craigslist where I got most of my equipment and if you don't like/use something it's usually easy to resell there as well.

Good luck!

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    a Good squat rack (1/2 or full) with an Olympic bar and a "beginner" set of plates (up to 220 lbs or so) is the way to go, as someone else suggested look for a used set. Brand new can set you back a couple thousand or more. a squat rack should also come with a bench... a rack is ideal (google images of squat racks to get an idea of what you are looking for) because it has safety features that will prevent serious injury (or death) when you are exercising alone.

BUT FIRST... discover the joys of body weight exercises, circuit training, boot camps, YOU tube fitness vids etc... etc... etc. and once you have built up a workout habit, look into creating your own home gym otherwise what you buy, will just end up on Craig's List too...
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.
    Glad I held off on the smith.
    Going to go thru what each of you said and figure it out.
    I'm a big bootcamp person but won't be able to make it any longer.
    I'm not a fan of videos. I usually just run and do core work and resistance band exercises on my own.
    Looking to expand what I have at home and introduce weights.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Get the book Strong Curves. This was my first program. I used to circuit train and felt it was a good transition for me. You can learn a bit of programming and progress better. Lots of illustrations for bodyweight, bands, weights... Also SL5x5 is a quick way to increase your strength base. And there is an app that tracks your progress and sets the weights for you to follow.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    How about a pull up bar.
  • dsbroussard82
    dsbroussard82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I really am into minimal equipment. Mostly use just Dumbbells and body weight. I use Powerblock adjustable Dumbbells they save a ton of space and money, easy to use and are a very reliable. The design is very simple which means they won't malfunction like some of the other tend to do.