Do you burn more calories working out in the heat?

Options
I work out a lot in the garden and hiking etc... just wondering if I am burning more calories on a day like today at about 89 degrees, vs. a cool 70 degree day? I am definitely perspiring more and feel like I am working harder, just wonder if anyone has any feedback.

Sweaty in Chicago

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    No. You lose water through perspiration.
  • nursek_2010
    nursek_2010 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i don't think you necessarily burn more calories, you just sweat out a lot more water, so make sure you drink up and rehydrate!! :drinker:
  • svbeyer
    svbeyer Posts: 11
    Options
    You're a mammal. You expend a fairly constant amount of energy maintaining a steady internal temperature. It takes calories to keep you cool in summer and calories to keep you warm in winter. It's all folded into your basal metabolism rate.
  • AliceA2013
    AliceA2013 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Your body is spending less energy keeping you warm compared to a winter's day so no, you probably burn less calories. I agree with others that you lose more water so you need to have a higher water intake.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Someone with access to medical studies should look this up. I might later. I do think you burn more calories when cold, and even when hot...but I don't know for certain. I'm sure there have been studies.....
  • riccoismydog
    Options
    All that being said, I live in the DR, and I put on weight when its hot. I retain water and refuse to do even the simplest movements when it is hot out. Try 45 degrees Celsius in the shade. 35 at night....
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    89 degrees? That's practically sweater weather!
  • LadyAsrai
    LadyAsrai Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How are you working out in 89 degree weather?! Tell me you secrets! :P
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

LOL! I'm with this poster. It's high 90's-100's in the summer here. Nothing like hiking 14,000 feet above sea level in 100* lol.

I've heard several times that you burn more in the cold because your body is trying so hard to stay warm + burning calories from the exertion.
  • Aliviuum
    Aliviuum Posts: 67
    Options
    I've jogged in 95 degree weather - STAY HYDRATED! If you get tired, take a break. Don't over do it in the heat because you aren't going to burn more fat, you'll burn yourself out and possibly have a heat stroke. Water, water, water and a cooling vest :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

LOL! I'm with this poster. It's high 90's-100's in the summer here. Nothing like hiking 14,000 feet above sea level in 100* lol.

I've heard several times that you burn more in the cold because your body is trying so hard to stay warm + burning calories from the exertion.

I'm in Tucson. 89 actually is quite lovely and perfectly comfortable. We just came out of 35 days over 105 degrees, the average being 109 for most of them, the high being 113 for several of those days. At 89, I'd be out taking hour long hikes and basking in the cool air, lol.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    According to this LiveStrong.com article, you burn more in heat, unless you're cold enough to shiver. Hot Yoga anyone?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/367353-how-does-the-temperature-affect-cardio-workouts/
  • riccoismydog
    Options
    I don't understand all of this farenheit talk...when is the US going to join the rest of us with the Celsius? That being said. I looove hot yoga....or actually I love it when it is over!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Sweating more doesn't = burning more calories, nor does it mean burning more fat. This applies to any training including hot yoga.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Sweating more doesn't = burning more calories, nor does it mean burning more fat. This applies to any training including hot yoga.

According to the LiveStrong.com article at the link above...
    "When performing aerobic exercise in the heat, vasodilation of the skin occurs to facilitate cooling. This causes decreased blood flow to the respiratory system which in turn causes the heart rate to go up. BECAUSE OF THE INCREASED HEART RATE in warm weather, more calories are burned than when exercising in the cold."

So it's not the sweating alone that burns more calories, it's everything combined that makes the heart rate go up in warmer weather, than in colder weather.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely fascinating. I guess I have no excuse for not biking to work this week (mid to high 90's F, ~35 C).
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    1 Increased caloric intake soon after exercise in cold water.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15902988

2 Core temperature: a forgotten variable in energy expenditure and obesity?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23107263

3 Could increased time spent in a thermal comfort zone contribute to population increases in obesity?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21261804
  • fairygirlpie9
    fairygirlpie9 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Probably not - mainly because you would have less endurance.
  • glenmchale
    glenmchale Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    being from England i struggle to understand these temperatures of 89%, isn't that close to being the internal temperature of the sun or something?