Partial dislocation or torn rotator cuff/ other?

Options
IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
edited September 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
While I FINALLY was able to go up 5 lbs on OHP today, I really hurt my shoulder doing incline presses. I didn't realize my form was shortening my shoulders ability to move. I'm worried it's partially dislocated because of the pop feeling I had and it kind of moves around a bit, or maybe I tore something. It only hurts at certain angles but when it does It really hurts. I'm looking into what I can do at home and took some anti-inflammatory medicine, as I don't have insurance... But at this rate, I'm going to have to do something, I'm having a hard time lifting my son into the car seat etc. And I have to do that about 4 times a day at least... ANyone have a suggestion, let me know. I'm probably going to have to wait 2 days to see what happens before I go to a dr.
Edited to clarify- What could I have injured based on these symptoms and what can be done about it?

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I know that it's not the answer to you want, but you have to see a doctor. No one online will be able to tell you with certainty what's going on in there. Wrong advice can destroy what's still working, so any rehab tips you get here may only serve to worsen your situation.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I've had 2 torn rotator cuffs; one on each arm. If it's torn nothing short of surgery will make it better. Get an MRI to see if it's torn or not.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    You need to go see one. No way you can be diagnosed here. Shoulder impingement is just as likely. If so hopefully just some rest and anti inflammatories will get you back.

OHP with a bar causes internal rotation of your shoulders, which is often a position leading to injury. Try it with dumbells (after you heal), starting with a neutral hand position (ie pinkies forward, thumbs back) down low, and externally rotating into the "classic" position at the top of the move.

Good luck!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I never injured my shoulders but they are now naturally loose due to ligaments and trying to be a contortionist as a child. Every lift I do save for a squat or a curl requires constant attention or I can injure myself - my arms just pop out of the socket from raising them. I've dropped dumbells on my face and had my arm pop out mid bench. Do not ignore shoulder injuries - you will find out just how much you use them. Injuries that aren't rehabbed properly can cause loose shoulders as well as be permanently painful.