Maintenance Calories!

Hi all,

So I've just finished my weight loss goal.
Went from 245lbs in April to my current weight of 178lbs.

I've gained some loose skin as a result of that rapid rate which I'm planning on fixing by letting time take its course, whilst eating more to reach maintenance calories, or even a surplus if its necessary.

My rapid weightloss was largely attributed to working out and eating very very little.
I was consuming around 1000-1200 calories a day, whilst burning a minimum of 750 in the gym. All in all I had around a 2k or 2.5k daily deficit with a cheat meal once a week, but that cheat meal was like fried chicken and other unhealthy goodies.

I've stopped having such a insane deficit for two days now but I've struggled to be able to eat at a maintenance level.
From the fitnesspal app and its daily caloric burn prediction, I supposedly burn 2278 calories a day if I'm sedentary and I'm still working out, though not nearly as vigorous as before. I end at around 2800-3000 calories burnt by the end of the day.

But the problem is that I'm only managing to eat up to 2000 calories a day. That is for relatively healthy stuff.
I mean I can easily reach 3000 if I ate ice cream and all.

I wanted to ask if this is natural after a extended cut period and should I just slowly work my way back up to eating at a maintenance level?

Replies

• foen_i
    foen_i Posts: 27 Member
    Same Problem. Especially on long run days I often end up with 2000cal to spare.
    I fix it by making a fruit/joghurt smoothy with 50g of peanut butter and toss in 200g of cereals. That's about 1300cal.

But I am getting gradually better at adjusting my meals to get close to maintenance. I also found upping goal calories helped me to eat more cause I seem to subconsciously aim towards a specific deficit.

Just try diffrent things to find the strategy that works best for you.
  • Jezreel12
    Jezreel12 Posts: 246 Member
    The above advices are right.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Where did you get that maintenance calorie amount from? How tall are you?

I'm 5'2 , 120 and my maintenance cals with walking about 15k steps/day are 2100. Yours seems low.

In general it is best to slowly increase cals to get to maintenance, as others have said. Going from such a big deficit is going to be a huge adjustment for your body and for your eating habits. But also, nothing wrong with ice cream to help close the gap if you are eating a balanced diet with other nutrient dense foods.